Old vs New (sporterising)

Info, pictures, advice...
Rokkmunkey

Old vs New (sporterising)

Post by Rokkmunkey »

I just bought a 77 p64. Gotta wait for the 48 hour mark to be up and she's mine. :)

I own a 1923 AND a 1943 Mosin/Nagant 91/30.
I've been on many forum sites for these guns. Many of the sites have a bad attitude towards "modernizing" Mosins I.e. sythentic stock upgrade or even adding a scope not manufactered from the same era as the gun. I would never mod my 23. But the 43 maybe. Since so many were produced.

My question is this: since the P-64 is more rare than a Mosin, do many people look down on painting or modernizing a P64?

David, 24, M, WI, USA
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Old vs New (sporterising)

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
bear34

Post by bear34 »

I bought my p-64 from Mach1Arsenal. H&K Black Duracoat. Would that be considered modernized?
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

I look at it this way : Are you doing harm to history ?

In this case there are so many P-64's out there, customizing a few is not going to harm anyone.

So go ahead; it's your property - until our Facist Government decides otherwise.

They're just going to confiscate them all and destroy them anyways, so have fun while you can.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

The difference to me is: Mosins (and other milsurp rifles, of which I own several) where used in numerous conflicts and as such deserve care befitting that of a war veteran. Mods that are easy to undo are OK by me (e.g. shimming the action, re-crowning the barrel, adding a recoil pad, or installing a clamp-on or scout scope etc.) as is maintenance (e.g. oiling the stock) but perish the thought of cutting down the stock or barrel- or even tapping the barrel for a scope.

As P-64s were never used in armed conflict, they are fair game for accessorizing/refinishing as far as I am concerned. Personally, I won't do anything permanent to mine (currently have a Zee thumbrest grip and a Houge handall on it), but to each their own.

Just my sentimental $.02
blizzard109

Post by blizzard109 »

To be honest,it's the plain yet rugged look that attracted me to the p-64 to begin with. Don't plan on doing anything to mine.
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

MakAttack wrote:The difference to me is: Mosins (and other milsurp rifles, of which I own several) where used in numerous conflicts and as such deserve care befitting that of a war veteran.
Well, although I respect history, and AMERICAN VETS, I'm a bit conflicted about respecting the actual Veterans of a War where the guys with these guns were our ENEMY.

Although, on the surface, USSR was an Allied Nation, it began as an Axis Power. The reality is Joe Stalin was always in it for himself.

I realize most Solders in the USSR were conscripts. Maybe that makes a difference to God; not sure it makes a difference to me.

I still like Soviet Mil-Surps. But in their case I'm probably glad they "can't talk".
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

SalemCat wrote:
MakAttack wrote:The difference to me is: Mosins (and other milsurp rifles, of which I own several) where used in numerous conflicts and as such deserve care befitting that of a war veteran.
Well, although I respect history, and AMERICAN VETS, I'm a bit conflicted about respecting the actual Veterans of a War where the guys with these guns were our ENEMY.

Although, on the surface, USSR was an Allied Nation, it began as an Axis Power. The reality is Joe Stalin was always in it for himself.

I realize most Solders in the USSR were conscripts. Maybe that makes a difference to God; not sure it makes a difference to me.

I still like Soviet Mil-Surps. But in their case I'm probably glad they "can't talk".
Well, Mosins were used on both sides, and in more "noble" causes if you prefer (see the Finns, U.S. Mosins and also WW1). I didn't mean to personify the Mosin, was just trying to explain my point of view. It makes me sick when I see a Krag, Springfield, Enfield, Mauser, Arisaka, Carcano, K-31, etc. that's been cut down and sporterized. There's no going back. Such a firearm loses all historical value and is virtually worthless if you or your progeny ever decide to sell it. Not to mention they are not allowed vintage military bolt action matches (CMP for example).
SalemCat

Post by SalemCat »

Of course as far as our mutual favorite the P-64 goes, most were simply carried by Police Officers who, most likely, never fired them in anger. And if they did, their targets were actual criminals.

Same goes for the CZ-82, another Milsurp I'm fond of.

I don't own a Mosin yet ! I want to, but am hoping some stuff I'm offerring on eBay sells so as to justify the purchase.

Did buy a Nagant Revolver, though. Very minty and very retro. Cheap, too.

I wouldn't mind tricking out a P-64. I have a stock one, but if money was no object I'd nickel a second example and add Ebony Grips. Just for the hell of it.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w23/ ... romed2.jpg
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I have a 1974 P64 that I have put on some camo grips. Although, I must say I really prefer the original plastic grips (which I still have). But I think " Do your thing" for what you prefer to have with your firearms.

I also own 7 Mosin Nagants and would not dream of modifying any one of them They speak of history. Two of them are very rare or uncommon Finns that would be "sacrilege" to deface. That is just me.
daven

Post by daven »

I agree with not "sporterizing". I have Moisins, Czs and P64s plus a modicum of other surplus firearms. Aside from cleaning them up, they stay as purchased. Every bump or scratch can tell a tale if it could speak. DaveN
jatku1

Post by jatku1 »

I found a stripped P-64 that I plan on modernizing. Note, I have a '69 model that will be kept bone stock, but the '73 was missing springs, grips, and firing pin. With the exception of the pins, the other missing parts were items I planed on customizing. I'd even like to re-finish it and engrave the slide turning it into a future family heirloom.

Just my thoughts.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I doubt that the P-64 was used much in violence.

If you are superstitious about "guns with bodies" stay far away from the Nagant revolvers. They got a lot of use in cellars..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRfY8Cwj ... creen&NR=1