Old vs New (sporterising)

Info, pictures, advice...
Rokkmunkey

Old vs New (sporterising)

Post by Rokkmunkey »

I just bought a 77 p64. Gotta wait for the 48 hour mark to be up and she's mine. :)

I own a 1923 AND a 1943 Mosin/Nagant 91/30.
I've been on many forum sites for these guns. Many of the sites have a bad attitude towards "modernizing" Mosins I.e. sythentic stock upgrade or even adding a scope not manufactered from the same era as the gun. I would never mod my 23. But the 43 maybe. Since so many were produced.

My question is this: since the P-64 is more rare than a Mosin, do many people look down on painting or modernizing a P64?

David, 24, M, WI, USA
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Old vs New (sporterising)

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

There are SOME EXCEPTIONS OF COURSE that I would not touch, however for many guns the average shooter has or can afford I see no problem in doing what YOU want to Your gun. I know there are many purists out there who cringe at that statement but I also feel that if you have a very common gun and You own it it is your right to get as much use or enjoyment from it. as far as the purists you have the same right to do the same( of course the upside if the argument is you ruin the over all value then more sporterised the more valuable the purists gain value.. If a common gun looks rode hard and put away wet I don't want to show it off.. anyway the value in my lifetime or my heirs the sporterised will go up in value.. I would rather have a factory redone gun then one that has just left in the condition found in an old warehouse, or straight from the battle field condition.... Can we compare this to say a 65 mustang that is found rusting in an old barn and redone and sold in the 20 to 30 k range and is drivable .collectors don't seem to mind at all in that case.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

It's up to you. However keep in mind you will not get your money back from anything you do. Just satisfaction value.

I.E. If you ever decide to sell it; It will always hold value as a P-64. Any mod you do you will have to find the right buy that wants that mod. Even if you find that right buyer, they probably still won't pay for the whole cost of the mod you came out of pocket for. If you have a buyer that wants to return it to original, they would pay even less.

I like to keep all original parts for everything I change. That way I can easily return it to that original configuration.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
tipup

Post by tipup »

i'm in the process of putting a tac rail on my p64. looking to put a laser on you maybe a mount system like think one.
http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Scope-La ... B008Y3FNUM

i'm always trying to make my guns better. i was even thinking of buying mosin just to modernize it. looked into it to find out the total it would cost to do. it wouldn't be a cheap project.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I have a 1974 P64 that I have put on some camo grips. Although, I must say I really prefer the original plastic grips (which I still have). But I think " Do your thing" for what you prefer to have with your firearms.

I also own 7 Mosin Nagants and would not dream of modifying any one of them They speak of history. Two of them are very rare or uncommon Finns that would be "sacrilege" to deface. That is just me.
Attachments
gun racks resuze.jpg
p64newgripscropped resize.jpg
Black Fly

Post by Black Fly »

I have a thought about guns and fixing them to the way you want them. It's really simple.
If you married a beautiful woman, would you save her for the next guy?
Bfly
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Unless you have a particularly pristine P64, I'd say go for it and let us see the results. I've considered doing some things to the P64 that I carry. I have two; one has bluing so terrible and worn, that it must have been screwed up from the factory, because the internals were still like new when i got it. the other is in pretty good condition all around.

the one with the worn bluing i shoot some and carry a lot. she's never failed me, and she's shamed newer guns that cost me 3x her price. got a shiny new pm9, decided to do a "shoot it as i've been carrying it" test between the pm9 and the p64. that means not unchambering the round or anything, just shooting it as it's been sitting for carry use.

p64 passed with flying colors. pm9.. one shot, then a stovepipe. nice. it has also done this with a sig 938, which is a rather expensive gun.

so i'm considering some marschal grips.. maybe find a way to paint the front site in something that glows in the dark. i already have done the spring swaps. any more sugggestions?
Hurryin' Hoosier
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Hurryin' Hoosier »

My CZAK has a hard-chrome job (by Mahovsky's), all NOS replacement springs, and a set of Marschal grips. That's about as "far out" as I care to get.
"I'm just a poor white man, trying to make my way in the world." - Officer Andy Renko, "Hill Street Blues"