One in the chamber, hammer up: how?

Info, pictures, advice...
dalek

One in the chamber, hammer up: how?

Post by dalek »

Correct me if I am wrong but if you want to load a round in the chamber and then bring the hammer back up you rack the slide and then either

1) Bring the hammer back up manually and ever so slowly (which might be interesting depending on how far is the firing pin from the percussion cap at rest)

2) Set the safety on, which brings hammer back up, and then reset it.

I take option 2 is the recommended one, right?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: One in the chamber, hammer up: how?

Post by Curly1 »

Using the safety will decock the hammer.

Try it unloaded.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

With the safety off-fire postion--rack the slide and chamber a round. Most of the time I cock the hammer on an empty chamber with loaded mag and then rack the slide. This makes the slide action a little easier and I can see the hammer cocked before racking the slide. A lot of old timers use this practice on their old stuff.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I wouldn't recommend racking the slide or cocking the hammer without the safety on unless you have it pointed in a safe direction. It's entirely too easy for a hammer to fall unexpectedly.

I'd turn the safety on, then rack the slide.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

If the safety "hammer drop" is engaged the hammer will follow the slide forward and then you will have to turn safety to fire and cock the hammer anyway, but with a round in the chamber. There is no hammer back safety on.
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

fully machined wrote:If the safety "hammer drop" is engaged the hammer will follow the slide forward and then you will have to turn safety to fire and cock the hammer anyway, but with a round in the chamber. There is no hammer back safety on.
I didn't mean to imply there was, but re-reading my post I could see how you would read it that way. My suggestion was to do exactly what you state; leave the safety on so there's no chance the hammer could fall and strike a chambered round.