New P-64 Cleaning Mags

Info, pictures, advice...
Vunder

New P-64 Cleaning Mags

Post by Vunder »

Hey all, I've seen a lot of post's here on cleaning the gun (mine's soaking in mineral spirits right now), but I haven't seen anything about the magazines. Mine have a little cosmo on the outside but I'm not sure about the inside. I cleaned the mags for my CZ-82 when I got it and one wasn't too bad but the other was horrible. I've been looking for a video on how to take the P-64 mag apart but haven't found that either. Is there a pictorial or something online that shows how?

Also when soaking the gun do you soak the slide as is, with the firing pin in place?
Vunder

Re: New P-64 Cleaning Mags

Post by Vunder »

OK, I found the thread for the magazine and a video on youtube for the firing pin.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

The reprint of the manual (Pages 9-10) has magazine dis-assembly, then you'd soak it in the same manner.
http://p64resource.com/board/P64Manual.pdf

Yes. I would strip down the slide all the way and make sure every last bit of cosmo was out of all the holes/channels.

Some other useful links:
Parts list: http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Parts_List.pdf
Assembly guide: http://p64resource.com/board/P64_Assembly_Manual.pdf

viewforum.php?f=7

viewforum.php?f=4

viewforum.php?f=3
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Thanks Weasel. There's so much info on this site that's it's a little overwhelming but all of it is extremely helpful.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Vunder wrote:Thanks Weasel. There's so much info on this site that's it's a little overwhelming but all of it is extremely helpful.
Yeah I know. It's great.

When I search sometimes I'll use Google.com instead of the site search tool. I'll type in my key-word/s and "site:www.p64resource.com". Like this for example "magazine site:www.p64resource.com". The results are easier for me to sort through.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

my second p64 was so full of cosmo if would not fire semi-auto. it was fire, rack slide, fire again. the guy i got the gun from said the gun was broken. i broke the gun and mags down, dropped all in a can of parts cleaner for a day or two. then brush time and compress air to get the rest of the junk out.
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Yeah, mine didn't look that dirty (with cosmo), until I disassembled it. I soaked everything in mineral spirits for a day, cleaned the parts (including the mags), used compressed air to dry and then oiled it all good (except the mags). I'm waiting for my Wolff spring kit to get here before I reassemble it so I can replace the firing pin spring that they always send with the recoil spring. I have the parts covered so they won't collect dust in the meantime.

My safety was very stiff so I filed the point down a bit on the detent to round it a little. I saw somewhere (maybe youtube), where someone cut two coils off the safety detent spring and said it works like butter now but I didn't want to go that far. That sounds kind of extreme.
bear34

Post by bear34 »

Vunder wrote:Yeah, mine didn't look that dirty (with cosmo), until I disassembled it. I soaked everything in mineral spirits for a day, cleaned the parts (including the mags), used compressed air to dry and then oiled it all good (except the mags). I'm waiting for my Wolff spring kit to get here before I reassemble it so I can replace the firing pin spring that they always send with the recoil spring. I have the parts covered so they won't collect dust in the meantime.

My safety was very stiff so I filed the point down a bit on the detent to round it a little. I saw somewhere (maybe youtube), where someone cut two coils off the safety detent spring and said it works like butter now but I didn't want to go that far. That sounds kind of extreme.

I had to trim my detent spring. Smoothing the detent wasn't enough.
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Thanks bear, maybe it's not as extreme as I thought. I'll keep that in mind.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Vunder wrote:Thanks bear, maybe it's not as extreme as I thought. I'll keep that in mind.
You have to be careful tho not to smooth or cut to much. Smoothing the detent itself shortens the overall length of the detent and spring. Then cutting the spring shortens it even more. So you have to watch that you don't take to much off either.

If you take away to much you can run the risk of the safety dropping out of position.

There is a gentleman in Poland that sells these parts new. Anything I want to mod, I get a replacement for before hand.
Weasel

badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

As for the safety, yes it is very stiff. but i can pop it up using my thumb. it does hurt a tad.

as for the gun and magazines... i bought my gun from a local place and im pretty sure the cleaned all the crap out. i took the gun home, ran some rags through it and threw som gun oil on and have never had a problem. the mags however, i dont think they were ever taken apart since the 70's. i took the gun shooting with no problems, got home cleaned the gun and decided to take the mags apart. there was so much crap on the inside im surprised it actually fed ammo into the gun. i have two mags and they both looked the same on the inside. it took me a while, but i got them cleaned out.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Vunder

Post by Vunder »

Weasel, I used a very fine file, so I wouldn't take too much off and I have a parts order on the way from Poland (made before the gun had even arrived). I've found a few more parts I'd like extras of so I'll likely make another order soon. Maybe I should just get another P-64.............