Plum Slide

Info, pictures, advice...
Stuttz

Plum Slide

Post by Stuttz »

Hello, new user here. I just picked up a P-64 today and noticed that the slide is a plum color instead of standard black. I looked all over these and other boards and got a little bit of info but I'm still a little lost...is this considered a desirable attribute or is it considered inferior? What's the frequency that this occurs? And finally, what kind of grips would look good with this color? Thanks a lot.
GOTGOO

Re: Plum Slide

Post by GOTGOO »

Have any pics?
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Plum slides, frames and parts on anyfirearm are the result of the bluing process not being exactly right.

I think they look pretty cool, yes show pics.

Welcome to the forum.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Stuttz

Post by Stuttz »

This is all I have right now. Will post more when I get home.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 8761 times
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Pic doesn't show :(
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Pic doesn't show :(
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Stuttz

Post by Stuttz »

Weak! It shows fine for me, I'll try again soon. Regardless, it kind of changes my grip options. My buddy makes custom grips and I'm meeting with him to decide on a style and color. Any ideas what looks good with plum?
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

Mine is plum as well. I think the standard black grips look good but if I were going custom, I'd take a pic of the gun and play around with the colors of the grips in Photoshop or some other image program. That way you can see exactly what it will look like before committing.
blackblade

Post by blackblade »

Yep, I have a few that are "plum". In fact I prefer those myself. It is due to the bluing process but I like the color and kept out a couple for my own CCW guns as well as a few of the standard black. Doesn't affect the guns but some people want one or the other it seems.
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

No pic here ether
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 Curly1....Plum slides, frames and parts on any firearm are the result of the bluing process not being exactly right.

Found this on the RugerFourm.com

There are six reasons for guns to turn "plum". First is the temperature of the bluing salts, which must be maintained at exactly 292 deg F. If the temperature is lower, bluing won't take properly. If the temperature is just a few degrees too high, parts will turn plum. Second is the concentration of the salts. Because water boils off, the salts tend to get too concentrated so bluing tanks must be equipped with a water replenishment system to keep the salts to water ratio at 10:1 (10 parts water for one part salts by weight). If the mixture gets too concentrated, parts will turn plum. Next is "time in the tank". If parts are left in the bluing tank too long, they will turn plum (1/2 hour is normal). Bluing salts do "wear out" so they must be replaced fairly often. When salts start aging, gun parts turn plum. Last is the alloy. Some alloys require special additives to the bluing salts or the parts will turn plum no matter how well you maintain the tanks. In most cases, parts will turn plum right out of the bluing tank. When alloys are the cause, it may take several years for the plum color to show up.