What is the date on your P-64 ?

Info, pictures, advice...
shinerjohn

What is the date on your P-64 ?

Post by shinerjohn »

I have a '72 round hammer and a '76 triangular hammer. Got 'em from J&G Sales a few months apart. Both are absolutely beautiful. I carry the '72 and the '76 is in the safe.
Berkowwm

Re: What is the date on your P-64 ?

Post by Berkowwm »

Hi,

Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread, and if this has been discussed elsewhere! I just acquired my first 1969 P64 (my other two are 1970 and 1972), and I noticed that mine also has the reddish extractor, slide stop lever, and trigger bar. I was just wondering if anyone knows the significance of this, and why these parts don't seem to be blued the same as the rest of the gun. Are these worth any more?

This one is kind of an ugly duckling compared to my others. Looks like it has had a LOT of time in the holster and time at the range during its life... plus, its import markings are a bit of an eyesore. The stock DA pull is way better than my others, though, and the SA pull is wonderful! Probably a testament to how much this one has been broken in.

Just curious!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

the reddish bluing tinge is called "plum" color and results from a small imperfection in the chemical balance in the blueing tank when the parts were blued. It does not do any damage to the parts so do not worry about that. Worth more, no. But to you maybe as the internals have obviously gotten the kind of working they needed to smooth up. Enjoy that one.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

IIRC the plum color is a reaction to the bluing solution with the makeup of whats in the metal.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
OG17

Post by OG17 »

Must have taken too long of a nap and missed this thread. Mine says 1971.

And Ketch, NO Level 10 remarks from you. :mrgreen:
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Curly, with respect it is also because of the blueing solution not reacting properly to the hardenss of the steel.
viewtopic.php?t=339#p5345
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.