breech extractor wear

Info, pictures, advice...
novacz

breech extractor wear

Post by novacz »

I just picked up a p64. Overall, it appears in pretty good shape externally with just a little bit on finish wear in all of the normal places.

However, I am experiencing occasional trigger rest problems, which, from reading here, it appears that a nice cleaning job will likely sort out. Mine isn't loaded with too much cosmoline, but it is certainly a little tacky inside. Hopefully a good cleaning will sort things out.

What I'm more concerned about is the wear on the breech from the extractor. Here are some pics:

I've looked around at other p64 pictures online and I've seen some in better shape and others in worse.

Should I be concerned with this level of wear? It won't be a carry pistol, just occasional range use, so no need for extreme reliability. Still, I'd like to get a good bit of use out of this gun.

Bottom line: Do you think that it would be worthwhile to exchange this copy for another, or is this level of wear to be expected? I do have a C&R, so I won't be out any FFL fees if I decide to exchange or return the pistol.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: breech extractor wear

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum.

That could be when some one lost their grip on the slide during disassmbly /reassembly when the slide wasn't level with the frame and it slammed into the breech at an angle.

See if there are any corresponding dings on that side of the slide.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

In my opinion, that's cosmetic and shouldn't effect performance. Somebody got something caught in there and it slammed shut, or they tried to pry open the action with a screwdriver after a stuck shell case? I dunno, looks bad but probably isn't. I hate to give gunsmithing advice on-line, but probably wouldn't hurt to dress it up with a file.
novacz

Post by novacz »

MakAttack wrote:In my opinion, that's cosmetic and shouldn't effect performance.
I agree. it probably mostly is cosmetic. And I think Curly's idea about the the slide smacking the breech during assembly is a likely cause of much of the damage, since my slide has some wear in the area that would potentially impact the breech. However, it does look like at least some of the damage is from the extractor smacking against the face of the breech, since the extractor looks like it has had some impact damage as well. That being said, it feeds and extracts dummy rounds fine.

I'm going to give the pistol a nice cleaning, and hopefully get it to the range within the week.

The good thing is that I still have 28 days to make up my mind.

Below are a couple more pictures. The camera flash really does highlight wear marks.

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes let us know how it performs at the range.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
mojo357

Post by mojo357 »

I'd fill it in with JB weld and file it back to flush, rarther than file it down any more.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

mojo357 wrote:I'd fill it in with JB weld and file it back to flush, rarther than file it down any more.
JB Weld on guns, especially near the chamber is a horrible idea. I don't know why you would even suggest that!
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.