Wolff Springs

Info, pictures, advice...
saands

Wolff Springs

Post by saands »

GR ... I've replaced 2 springs and pesonally know of 3 others that have received the 22# springs without a hitch. I've read of a couple here on the forum that had trouble ... my guess is that you will be fine without mods to the spring.

Saands
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm , thanks for the information, your insights are invaluable. :)
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 9th, 2007, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Saands, really appreciate your input, hope your right about the spring, I'm really looking foreword to a pleasant day at the range shooting up four to six box's of 9x18 without that dull pain between the thumb and fore finger............ G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay, :D
I almost forgot to ask, you fellows who have replaced the stock recoil springs with Wolff 20lb. or 22lb. springs, have you noticed a reduction in felt recoil. Have any of you had problems not replacing the firing pin springs, inquiring minds want to know?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 9th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

Wolff Springs

Post by saands »

GR:

22# yes ... haven't tried a 20# ... the ability to have extended range sessions is where I really noticed it ... I used to wimp out after half a box and pick up something tame like a 10mm for the rest of the shooting ;)

Saands
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Here is your range report for the day.
Went to the range with two hundred rounds of mixed ammo, Wolf, Winchester and Fiocchi.
Best five shot group of the day was just under three inches at the full length of our indoor range with Wolf Military Classic. Most groups averaged between four to five inches off hand. Now down to the springs. The new Wolff Gun Springs really have made a difference in the trigger pull and felt recoil. Seventeen pound hammer spring with twenty two pound recoil spring and no problem with the firing pin after all two hundred fired. Noted two failures to fire with the Wolf ammo (theres a surprise huh) and one failure to feed, again with the Wolf ammo and that I did not expect with the heavier recoil spring. Time to do a really good cleaning. Now lets talk about ejection, Some one in an earlier post said that the heavier spring ejected with authority. Several of mine went into orbit. The ones that didn't achieve orbit landed ten foot away and off to my right. All in all I'm very impressed with my little Polish Princess, today was the first time I carried her all day long and didn't notice it for a minute. When the word gets out about these wonderful little items the prices are going to soar so grab them while you can still afford them.
Have a great day tomorrow............. G.R.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by bzinggg »

Many say forcefull ejection is caused by the slide moving rearward at too high a speed. If the recoil spring is weak this will happen. I would guess that too weak a mainspring might also allow the slide to move rearward too fast, since the recoil has to compress the mainspring to ready the hammer for another strike. I was a little puzzled at hearing this had happened with the new 22# recoil spring installed, as stout as it should be! Could be you need a little heavier main spring to balance the action a little better. Sounds like you had a great time at the range, though. I need to go pop some caps and soon.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Interesting comment Bzinggg,
I was surprised at the way the pistol ejected the spent casings with the new springs. The recoil spring feels heavier when you rack the slide and the felt recoil is much more comfortable. Visually the Wolff spring is much thicker than the original. The ammo that I was shooting was all standard stuff, Wolf Military Classic 95gr. FMJ, Winchester 95gr. FMJ and Fiocchi 95gr. FMJ. Nothing there that would increase the slide speed. I guess that the ejection could be the same and that I just didn't notice it before, come to think of it yesterday was the first time that I used the lane at the far end of the range and that would explain why I noticed the hulls hitting the wall. I think I'll take the old spring with me to the range on Thursday and I'll check the difference.
G.R.
threepdr

Wolff Springs

Post by threepdr »

I can' t detect any difference in felt recoil after installing the #22 spring. :-/ I put the stock military spring back in the gun as the Wolf springs makes puttig the slide on very hard to do, and taking it apart even harder!

If I had felt a significant decrease in recoil I would have sucked it up and left the Wolf spring in the gun.

P.S. the Wolf spring also sends the casings into the next county just like the stock spring. :o
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Wolff Springs

Post by bzinggg »

The P-64 is a powerful performer, especially for a handgun that size.