P64 strength

Info, pictures, advice...
lklawson

Re: P64 strength

Post by lklawson »

papabear wrote:OMG, its hard to believe that someone would put 9x19 ammo in a 9x18 pistol and shoot it, its just a matter of time till something bad happens to you or a unsuspecting shooter close to you.......
I've seen YouTube of someone doing it with a PA-63. Not smart.

Fortunately, not possible with a properly working P64.

I don't know about the other 9x18 Makarov cal. hanguns. I may have to stick a snap-cap in my IJ70-18AH, CZ82, and Type 59 just to find out if the disconnect is sufficient to sense a 1mm out-of-battery. I don't think it is on the '82.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

daven wrote:I only know of one blow-back 9x19 pistol that may still be around
There have been any number of them over the years. Current production 9mm Luger handguns include the Hi Point C9 and the Jimenez JA9. (All of the Hi Point firearms are simple blow back operated, including the carbines, in 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.)
and that is the Astra 600. Or in its 9 x 21 sibling, the Astra 400. Both of these were designed to fire these rounds as blow-backs and the recoil springs are sized to fit, plus the guns are all steel. Fun guns to shoot but rather intimidating to take apart as one wrong move and you have bits of gun flying everywhere if you release the locking collar incorrectly. I never take my Astra 600 apart when tired!! DaveN
I own an Astra 400. It's a great gun but ammo at reasonable prices is hard to find.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
budman46

Post by budman46 »

dalek,
how did you chamber a 9x19 in a p-64 or any other 9x18? i tried to in a p-64, cz82 and bulgy mak...no way without a bfh.
budman

ignorance is fixable...
dalek

Post by dalek »

I am afraid I am not to mention such subject here any longer. Instead I will redirect you to the resident experts for theoretical and practical knowledge regarding your question.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

That is a lame answer Dalek, You either did or you didn't chamber it.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

daven wrote:I only know of one blow-back 9x19 pistol that may still be around and that is the Astra 600. Or in its 9 x 21 sibling, the Astra 400.
I had one of those Astra - recoil is punishing. The Hi-Point is blowback. I think that the mass of the slide of a Hi-Point is a good bit heavier than that of a P-64.

I've never tried shooting a 9x19mm out of either a P-64 or Makarov. I am not sure if the pistol would "fly apart". The bore of a Makarov or P-64 is slightly wider than 9mm NATO. Width of bore could reduce pressure?

I would be afraid of a case rupture near the head..... the 9x19mm runs at roughly 35,000PSI, roughly half again more than 9x18mm. Chunks of case and hot gases would come out of the ejection port, perhaps directly into the eyes.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

GeneCC wrote:
daven wrote:I only know of one blow-back 9x19 pistol that may still be around and that is the Astra 600. Or in its 9 x 21 sibling, the Astra 400.

I've never tried shooting a 9x19mm out of either a P-64 or Makarov. I am not sure if the pistol would "fly apart". The bore of a Makarov or P-64 is slightly wider than 9mm NATO. Width of bore could reduce pressure?

I would be afraid of a case rupture near the head..... the 9x19mm runs at roughly 35,000PSI, roughly half again more than 9x18mm. Chunks of case and hot gases would come out of the ejection port, perhaps directly into the eyes.
Whatever the result, it's not worth the risk. One of the 1st things I was taught was NEVER fire any ammo from a weapon except that for which is made. I only disregarded this rule once. Someone on the internet, years ago, opined that it was safe to fire .32 magnum shells from a Russian Nagant revolver; the one that uses the strange, expensive & difficult to find .32 shell w/the recessed slug. I tried it, and let's just say that I'm now on my 2nd Nagant. Rules to live by, folks.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."