P64 strength

Info, pictures, advice...
dalek

P64 strength

Post by dalek »

How strong is a P64 compared to other Makarov caliber guns (Makarov, CZ82, P83, etc)? I remember reading (in makarov.com?) that the real Makarov can handle higher load rounds (+P? SP7?), but a PA63 would not. Where would the P64 fit?
Last edited by dalek on December 5th, 2012, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 strenght

Post by Ketchman »

The PA-63 most likely would come apart before the Makarov, P-64 or CZ-82 because the PA-63's frame is aluminum whereas the rest all have steel frames. However, I had a PA-63 (sold it and sorta regret it :roll: ) that had a round count of over 10K with no frame damage or excessive wear that I could find.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: P64 strenght

Post by Ketchman »

I have not had a great day here, and I just did it again dalek. Misread your question, thought you were asking about how many rounds not how HOT the rounds are. :oops: Anyway, the abnswer is the PA-63 will not tolerate +P or high pressure loads OR loads with a heavier bullet than 95gr and it is because of the aluminum frame. The higher pressure loads or heavier than 95gr loads will stretch pin holes and the frame or cause cracks in the frame which could end up being catastrophic if they cause failure during live fire.
dalek

Re: P64 strength

Post by dalek »

No worries. I was just curious primarily aboit what kind of abuse load-wise the different Makarov shooting guns can handle, the specifically P64. You see, I bought a box of buffalo load and have shot 9x19mm in it before.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

you shot 9x19 in a 9x18 Makarov caliber pistol??!! :shock: That is asking for a missing hand or parts thereof. 9x18's are all blowback style whereas almost all 9x19's are locked breach type. This is because the pressures developed by the 9x19 are sooo much higher than a 9x18. Shooting 9x19 in a 9x18 is a recipe for having the gun literaly come apart in your hand. However, we are very interested to hear a range report on those Buffalo Bore loads.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I hope that was a typo.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

you never shoot anything over a 95 grn ,. bullet in any 9X18 gun, except lead bullets,lead bullets can be a little heaver

the Russian never used any thing over a 95 grn bullet by the military or police , they were imported into this country as much as 130 grn bullet, to sell the guns and ammo , because Americans like bigger and faster and didn't know much about these guns, they have stop importing big weights, because Americans wise up

The PA-63 was the official Hungarian Army sidearm from 1963 until 1996, chambered for the 9x18mm Makarov cartridge. It was manufactured with a bright-finish 10% Titanium-Aluminium alloy frame (later with blued frame), and a steel slide. Early grips had no thumbrest. Some police and commercial pistols have two-tone finish

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I still have a few boxes of Wolf 109 gr. 9x18 Makarov. I've shot it in all of my Mak cal. guns but not much. I don't want to shoot it in my PA-63 because of the AL frame and because it's so light that the recoil is punishing with the 109 gr. I've shot it in my P64 but, again, light gun, small grips = extra punishing recoil. My CZ82 hates the 109 gr. so I don't even bother. My Type 59 (chinese makarov) and my IJ70-18AH (high cap IMEZ) both love the 109 gr.

Feh. Maybe I should just sell or trade 'em. Think I could get two-for-one? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

dalek wrote:No worries. I was just curious primarily aboit what kind of abuse load-wise the different Makarov shooting guns can handle, the specifically P64. You see, I bought a box of buffalo load and have shot 9x19mm in it before.
Good god you shot 9mm out of a 9x18 pistol? You're lucky the slide didn't fly off and into your face. Never, ever do that again. There's a huge difference in pressure between the two.
dalek

Post by dalek »

By slide flying off you mean it tearing itself apart first, right? I mean, I cannot see how it would escape otherwise.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Dalek,
Just try shooting 9x19mm again, and you may well find out. Seriously, they're not kidding. NEVER shoot any ammo other than what the weapon is built to fire. HTH.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I would not want to be the person next to you in the firing line if you do or the next owner of that gun now.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

OMG, its hard to believe that someone would put 9x19 ammo in a 9x18 pistol and shoot it, its just a matter of time till something bad happens to you or a unsuspecting shooter close to you.......
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

papabear

I have to agree

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
daven

Post by daven »

I only know of one blow-back 9x19 pistol that may still be around and that is the Astra 600. Or in its 9 x 21 sibling, the Astra 400. Both of these were designed to fire these rounds as blow-backs and the recoil springs are sized to fit, plus the guns are all steel. Fun guns to shoot but rather intimidating to take apart as one wrong move and you have bits of gun flying everywhere if you release the locking collar incorrectly. I never take my Astra 600 apart when tired!! DaveN