happy camper

Info, pictures, advice...
turbocat

happy camper

Post by turbocat »

;D took delivery of a p-64 today and was really impressed with the metal work(might have to do something about those flat grip panels tho).
the seller said it needed a through cleaning, but it looked good to me. broke it down and cleaned it anyway. later i took it to my pasture and ran 50 rds of silver bear fmj, and 50 rds of hollow points thru it without a hiccup. i just looked at about 25 pictures of these pistols, and none of the photos had front sights like mine. mine has a brass colored ball that looks like a B-B pellet. it has a threaded stem that screws into the slide. at 7-8 yds it groups about 3 in. or so, and, surprisingly, the bead made aiming really nice. another surprise was the trigger. i've heard how heavy they are in D.A, but this one is about like my baby eagle. single action is pretty dog-gone light. during cleaning there was not any sign of use, so i don't think its been tampered with. also, don't these imports have markings? this is a 1970 model, and it has no importers name, etc. love this site
redfestiva

happy camper

Post by redfestiva »

Hi turbocat,
Congratulations on getting your P-64. It sounds like you have a unique one. I'd like to see a photo of that front sight. Does it say 9mm x18 or just 9mm? I've seen a few without the x18 markings. What does it say underneath the barrel ,just in front of the trigger guard?
nicksterdemus

happy camper

Post by nicksterdemus »

1 kewl sight Tcat. Yep now that the cat is outa da bag every1 is gonna wanna know 'bout that ball sight. By my eyeballin' n guesstamation the largest screw ya could get in that front blade would be an eyeglass frame screw. Gonna have 2 post a pic now.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

happy camper

Post by anjdrifter »

yes picture and more info would be nice...wondering if this was done by smithy....
turbocat

happy camper

Post by turbocat »

http://i15.tinypic.com/2ljoqqb.jpg
hi fellas..i've got a photo of my front sight at the above site.
on the left side of the slide ... cal. MAKAROV
9mmx18,,P-64

on the right side... the ser#, 11 in an oval , 1970
the ser# is also behind the trigger with nothing under the barrel.
i can't find an import marking anywhere.
the accuracy at 7 yds is a little better than my Bulgy Mac.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by garry »

it looks like a possibly re-arsenaled and re-blued and perhaps a smith did the front site? it is a fine looking example and i like the ball . Tho any P64 looks great to me !! perhaps importer marks were re-moved? and re-blued? Can you please post a close-up photo of the front sight and another of the side view close-up of the ball screw? thanks !! Garry
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by garry »

BTW... the only real reason i ask about the re-bluing is because i don't see that RED DOT safety indicator. certainly , i did not mean to imply that i know more than you !! sorry !! thanks ! and i know you will fall in love with this P64 ! Garry
turbocat

happy camper

Post by turbocat »

;D it's not hard to know more than me about anything. i'll try to get some photo's that are better than the one i used off of the auction site. i didn't want to say much about the trigger pull until i had a chance to check it. the D.A. measured 9.3# and the S.A. 3.2#. so many people posted that their's were too terrible for words that i thought my steroid abuse had finally kicked in. ::) as previously stated, there are no importer marks, nor any indications they have been removed. on break-down, all the interior movements were unworn, leading me to think it hasn't been tampered with. if it has been, i'm still a happy camper. maybe others have ideas about it.
i hate to say it, but it is considerable more accurate than my bulgy mak. i've been carrying it around in my back pocket, and it meets my carry needs very well. still love my mak tho.
forgot to address the red safty dot. it has it, but is hidden under the de-cocker lever.
Last edited by turbocat on March 15th, 2007, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

happy camper

Post by anjdrifter »

BTW... the only real reason i ask about the re-bluing is because i don't see that RED DOT safety indicator. certainly , i did not mean to imply that i know more than you !! sorry !! thanks ! and i know you will fall in love with this P64 ! Garry
the red dot on mine disappeared with the first heavy duty cleaning.. i used some yellow flourescent paint (epoxy type) I had around been on now over year..
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by grayfox »

Thats a great looking P-64, love the front sight.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by garry »

HAHAHA steroids kickin' in ! the way some complain about the heavy trigger pull sounds like their pulling muscles ! Methinks it is a fine /easy shooting gun, and I have a great time shooting it at targets and tennis balls because you can hit the target without wasting ammo ! a.k.a. - Accurate as all get out ! If i recall, the regular factory pull weight for S.A. was around 6 lbs. Yours sound like what all the other guys are wanting when the mess with their springs ! I'll take mine like it is and I am also proud to say "I'M A HAPPY CAMPER TOO !!!" wooot woot !
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

happy camper

Post by bzinggg »

HAHAHA steroids kickin' in ! the way some complain about the heavy trigger pull sounds like their pulling muscles ! Methinks it is a fine /easy shooting gun, and I have a great time shooting it at targets and tennis balls because you can hit the target without wasting ammo ! a.k.a. - Accurate as all get out ! If i recall, the regular factory pull weight for S.A. was around 6 lbs. Yours sound like what all the other guys are wanting when the mess with their springs ! I'll take mine like it is and I am also proud to say "I'M A HAPPY CAMPER TOO !!!" wooot woot !
There are quite a few of us "happy with it the way it comes" members. Welcome! 8-)
turbocat

happy camper

Post by turbocat »

http://i16.tinypic.com/43ov9td.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/2z3o2mr.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/4i3ejqc.jpg
these photo's show the B-B front sight.works well. the whole gun is snag-free.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by garry »

Wow ! looks like it is made that way ! i likey ! i'd like to know how it aims? do you use the "6 o'clock" hold ? i do on mine and it does great ! a friend was shooting my P64 and another friend was shooting a new bushmaster xm15 .223 with peep sights and my pistol hit it at 50 yards twice before the bushmaster hit it. needless to say my friend wants one now ! and the other thinks his rifle is defective ! hahahahaha, G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

happy camper

Post by garry »

i said my friend hit "it" twice --referring to a two-liter Pepsi bottle full of water 50 measured yards away.. G