Good read on stopping power

Info, pictures, advice...
MakAttack

Good read on stopping power

Post by MakAttack »

Not trying to start an argument here, but thought I'd share this article on stopping power that allegedly studied actual shootings:

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/printable/node/7866

Executive summary: Those that carry the 9x18 for personal defense should be just fine in most cases.
Duo_Z

Re: Good read on stopping power

Post by Duo_Z »

That's an interesting little article.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

It's all about shot placement no matter what caliber.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

This agrees with Fackler's work to a large extent. Please note that the Shotgun and Rifle lethality is much higher than with a handgun.

Shot placement is critical. Practice, practice, practice......
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I agree with Curly1, shot placement is all important, but a solid hit with a larger caliber, heavier bullet beats smaller and lighter every time i think. However, I also believe any gun with you is better than no gun! :)
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Agreed bigger caliber like a 45 will do major damage to limbs and put them or other things down.

Reminds me of a couple of stories that happened in town here years ago when my bro in law first got on the city PD.

3 officers were taken out of action with a 380 acp during a lengthy hide and seek foot chase during the day through several blocks of residential streets and yards. Not sure how many shots the BG took and they may have been lucky shots vs he knew what he was doing.

Now when they finially cornered him he was standing next to a garage and several officers unloaded on him. One non fatal hit took him down.

My bro in law said a city fireman owned the garage and had an old restored car in it which now looked like swiss cheese including a flat tire.
Kinda scary isn't it?

Another incident he told me was a BG came at the officer who hit him in the shoulder with a 45 and it was said he dropped like a sack of potatoes in his tracks.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary