P-64 Grips

Info, pictures, advice...
cruiser

P-64 Grips

Post by cruiser »

I am interested in a set of flat grips for my P-64. Or if anyone knows of a source of aftermarket grips, let me/us know.
Thanks
b52stan

P-64 Grips

Post by b52stan »

Seems like you're the only one who got the thumbrest grip. What don't you like about it?
Did anybody else not get flat grips, and what are your comments?
daysleeper

P-64 Grips

Post by daysleeper »

I've got the thumbrest grip (mfg'd 1973) and I'm left handed so I'd be interested in flats, too.
novgarod

P-64 Grips

Post by novgarod »

I finally ordered a P-64 today from Aim Surplus; this source has, in stock, the the later model with the triangular hammer and also has flat grips. Daysleeper, I am also left handed so the flat grips were important. Others may wish a thumb rest and/or the rounded hammer, so I will only say that one should verify with the source as to what is available. It will vary. Classic Arms now offers a chromed P-64 version; their picture shows the triangular hammer version with thumb rest grips - very nice. I am not holding my breath that my P-64 will have anything but a heavy double-action trigger pull; however, I collect 9x18 pistols and this one should join my Polish Vanad P-83 9x18 (unfired; so ugly it's pretty). It's interesting that we never referred to the P-83 model as a "Polish Makarov" - it must be that the Mak has gotten so popular and it seemed to be a good marketing ploy. I remember reading about this obscure little pistol (P-64) back in the early 90's and thought it was too small to ever be imported into the US - what a pleasant surprise! Now to take it to the range . . . maybe take my SMC-918 for a comparison. Thanks for the new P-64 Forum!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

P-64 Grips

Post by dfunk »

Mine has the thumb shelf on the ledt grip. It's a '77 from SOG. I've not had the opportunity to hold a 64 with flat grips, but I can tell you the shelf adds about 1/4" to the thickness of the gun. This isn't really a problem for me, as I intend to find a nice shoulder rig to carry this one. I tried on an Uncle Mike's rig the other day and the only pistol close to test in it at the gunshop was a Bersa Thunder 380. I can tell you that it was hands down one of the most comfortable ways to carry. Might have to pick it up soon.
jwvette42

P-64 Grips

Post by jwvette42 »

Does anyone know of a retailer that sells aftermarket grips? I bought a Houge slip on grip and it helps, but a true grip might feel better.
raypol

P-64 Grips

Post by raypol »

Does anyone know of a retailer that sells aftermarket grips? I bought a Houge slip on grip and it helps, but a true grip might feel better.
There are no after market parts for the P64. If you own a P64 you need to be creative in your quest for upgrades and repairs. Hopefully this forum will over time catalog sources of parts and service for the P64
novgarod

P-64 Grips

Post by novgarod »

I rec'd my P-64 yesterday from Aim Surplus and I went to the Raleigh Gun Show today, so I have several topics to hit upon. First, I asked Aim for flat grips and a triangular hammer which they assumed me would be sent; it says that on the invoice, but I got the left grip with the thumb rest which I stressed as a lefthander wasn't wanted. Oh well, the Aim folks are great so I will see what they will do Monday - it would be easiest and cheapest to just do a left grip exchange. I had talked to SOG since they included 3 mags, but they said all their stock had the thumb rest - hope this is not the case with Aim. The pistol itself appears unfired - the bore was pristine and without copper; however some surface rust was found on the ramp which is an easy fix (missed with the cosmoline, I guess). Hey, the double-action trigger really stacks up on the last few mm of travel, but the single action must be in the 3-4 lb range. At this time I don't believe I will alter the trigger spring for a lighter double-action versus a resulting questionable reliability for the hammer strike on the remaining rounds - remember, I have not been to the range yet and this initial decision may change. OK, now to the P-64s at the gun show . . .
I saw three, one of which was chromed. The chromed pistol was a '74 with a round hammer and the thumb rest grip. I was impressed - the added lettering on the left side, i.e., "Makarov" and the "x 18" that looks smeared on all the blued pistols, including mine, comes out clear when the surface is chromed.
$199 versus $169 for the blued (a '71 & '75 with triangular hammers); no flat grips on any! Somebody out there must have a lot of left flat grips lying around since the thumb rest grip is an apparent after thought (added points for import?) - the checkering does not match! Hey guys, I like the chrome and so will you, I bet -
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

P-64 Grips

Post by dfunk »

Hey guys, I like the chrome and so will you, I bet -
We already do! You can see a picture of it on the website or in another one of these threads. Pretty sweet looking, huh?!
cruiser

P-64 Grips

Post by cruiser »

Just as with the Makarov, the left grip thumbrest was a way to bypass the ATF rules. By putting the thumbrest grip on these small military pistols they became Sporting pistols! But with the Makarov they always, usually, included the original red star grip. If you look at yourp-64 left thumbrest grip and compare the checkering on it with the right grip you will see that they are not from the same production run!
Anyone that has a flat grip, who is the importer? I bet they are the exception.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P-64 Grips

Post by dolang1 »

novgarod, I'm right handed so the Thumb rest would only be an advantage for me. If you don't find any flat grips, I'll swap grips with you. Mine are flat. I guess they are the standard black grip. Bought my P-64 at a Gunshow this summer. It's a '71, I assume they will fit. My email address is on the message board. Later Don
amd6547

P-64 Grips

Post by amd6547 »

I wonder if the thumbrest add-on grips are the ones that some complain crack and fall apart.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
erehwesle

P-64 Grips

Post by erehwesle »

Mine seem solid, so I'm not sure what the basis of the complaint is. (mine are thumbrest) I'm still living in hope we can attract a grip-maker over to the board to make us all wooden grips!
leonidas

P-64 Grips

Post by leonidas »

I'd also be interested in trading my thumbrest grips for flats if anyone is interested. :)
bartos061

P-64 Grips

Post by bartos061 »

Hi,
Originally p-64 never has thumbrest grip. I think thumbrest grips were made in the US or in Poland before sending to You.
I try to get some flat grips I think they will be In January.

Merry Christmas everyone