Why do I bother with modern subcompacts?

Info, pictures, advice...
Legally Armed

Why do I bother with modern subcompacts?

Post by Legally Armed »

Took some guns out to the range today. Lately, I've been carrying my Kahr CM9 when I pocket carry, and my P64 when I belt carry. I haven't unloaded or unchambered either in a couple months. So I decided to bring both out to the range as is, and test them in the condition in which I have been carrying them.

First up, the Kahr, loaded with golden saber. Fired one round, then had a failure to feed. :evil: Well nice to know I had been carrying a 1-shot derringer.

Next up, the P64, loaded with cheap silver bear jhp's. Zero malfunctions.

Lesson learned I guess. I'll take 7 rounds of 9mm mak over 1 round of 9mm luger any day :puke:
fully machined

Re: Why do I bother with modern subcompacts?

Post by fully machined »

I have gotten away from preformance ammo cause I liked to shoot a lot of it before I was satisfied with the functioning. Lets say 150 rounds no problems. It just cost too much to find out and then if it did'nt, well, what a waste. How does the Kahr do with quality ball 115?
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

fully machined wrote:I have gotten away from preformance ammo cause I liked to shoot a lot of it before I was satisfied with the functioning. Lets say 150 rounds no problems. It just cost too much to find out and then if it did'nt, well, what a waste. How does the Kahr do with quality ball 115?
Fails to hold open on the last round but otherwise fine. Won't carry 9mm ball though, too much risk of overpenetration
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Good point concerning over penetration
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Kahr recommends a 200 round break in period. I am guessing you did that?
I may get rid of my P64 because I have a Kahr CW9 and a Kel-Tec p11 that I bought for CCW.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

i got only a hand full of guns that will go bang everytime no matter what. they are my glocks, a old s&w model 39-2, kel tec p3at & p32, beretta jetfire, remington rand 1911, colt combat comander, and my p64's. i got several others that it is hit and miss if they will run a full mag without any problems. they are kel tec p11 & pf9, kahr pm9, ruger lcp, springfield 1911, several home made parts guns 1911, and a beretta 21a. all guns have been broken it with thousands of rounds down range and other work done to them. so as the p64 goes, it just goes bang and loves steel case ammo. hard to beat a gun that works no matter what you feed it.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Foo Bird wrote:Kahr recommends a 200 round break in period. I am guessing you did that?
I may get rid of my P64 because I have a Kahr CW9 and a Kel-Tec p11 that I bought for CCW.
Yup did the break in. Keep the P64 until you verify those newer guns are 100%. I had thought my kahr was. Scary the way it failed on me. That could have been my life if I had needed to use it.
daven

Post by daven »

The only one of my manifold guns that does not fire every time is an old CZ50 and that is due to my playing around with the hammer spring in order to lighten the DA first shot. I will have to buy some new CZ50 springs and live with it. Nowhere near as bad as the unmodified P64s. Otherwise all of them from 0.25 ACP (Mauser 1910) to Webley 0.455s, go bang with each trigger pull. DaveN