Which magazine is correct?

Info, pictures, advice...
Coryatt

Which magazine is correct?

Post by Coryatt »

Glad for the site. Great information. I have a 1969 p-64. It has two magazines that are slightly different at the top. Both fit and autoload. I have not shot it. Will they both work? Don't want any catastrophic failures. Thank you,
Attachments
Pic 2
Pic 2
Pic 1
Pic 1
Coryatt

Re: Which magazine is correct?

Post by Coryatt »

They are both factory magazines too.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

That is a good question. Early mags have a larger cut out for the slide stop. The latter mags have approx. half the cut out.
Early mag---large
late mag----small
I am not sure when the change occured so can not say which is "correct" in a 1969, but they are interchangeable.
expressdog01

Post by expressdog01 »

older mags have a larger cut out for the slide stop, I think they changed mags when they changed the hammer. older mags will work in a newer gun, newer mags will not work in a older gun. you have to reshape the newer ones, to work in a older gun.
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

What is different about the earlier pistols that makes the late magazines not work? I thought I read they would interchange. Thanks for that info and correction.
Coryatt

Post by Coryatt »

Thank you the answer to my question. I will not use the newer bigger one. Glad I asked.
expressdog01

Post by expressdog01 »

just take a file and make the newer model the same as the older one. don't take much, I did it so my 1967 p64 and my 1976 can use the same mags . not hard to do.
wlockridge

Post by wlockridge »

+1 expressdog01
Shoot first, Shoot straight, and hit what you're aiming at, if you can do these things and have six rounds of ammo, you'll have two thirds more than you need to prevail.
pilot1950

Post by pilot1950 »

Maybe it's just my system, but I can't view the pics in the first post. Would like to see the difference in these two mag styles.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I cannot see them either looks like the attachments were deleted.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
pilot1950

Post by pilot1950 »

Found these pics elsewhere with the "opinion" that the change took place with a small groups of other changes in 72 and that "old style" (short feed lips) works with all but "new style" (longer feed lips) only work with newer. Also note "what appears to be" a length difference in the notch in the follower. (may just be optical illusion based on different angle of mags in second pic). I have not confirmed but merely repeating. My experience is my 72 version with round hammer works well with the two "new style" mags I have. Maybe if someone has one of each of both old and new mags and pre / post 72 pistols, they can mix / swap and provide feedback here.
80a02665ddc95e433ddf_3.jpg
80a02665ddc95e433ddf_4.jpg
Hank

Post by Hank »

I am more of a Makarov fan myself...probably something I shouldn't be posting on this site...however, I purchased a magazine from a source claiming I was purchasing a 9x18 Makarov Magazine, of which he was correct, but I was under the impression I was getting a magazine for a Bulgarian Makarov...NOT a P64 Magazine. I had no idea what I had until I came across this site, which has been very informative. My Question Is This: Was it typical for the Magazines to have a/the serial number on the side of them?
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Hank wrote:Was it typical for the Magazines to have a/the serial number on the side of them?
Yes, they were electro penciled on in most cases.

Welcome.

You should pick up a P-64 to go with that mag, you might like it better than the Bulgy.
Last edited by Weasel640 on April 29th, 2014, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thanks Weasel for the 411...I tried to get a picture on here of the Magazine I have but the image was too large...anywho, I just thought it cool that it was electro penciled in on the magazine. I may have to take your advice and try out a P-64. Thanks again.
Hank

Post by Hank »

The Serial Number on the side is 02319...as of now I have a mag with no gun, so if I have your magazine or if anyone just wants an extra please let me know.