what made you pick up a P64? What do you like / dislike?

Info, pictures, advice...
squat251

Re: what made you pick up a P64? What do you like / dislike?

Post by squat251 »

wow, I feel fairly lucky then since mine is pretty good. Fantastic considering this new information.
Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad »

snailman153624 wrote:Once the pull gets too high, it becomes impossible to pull at all, because the excess pressure causes extreme friction/binding that requires even more force to overcome, which in turn adds to the friction/binding.
I noticed that if I applied some side pressure to the trigger when doing a DA pull that it binds up like you're describing. Are there particular surfaces that could use some polishing?
visero

Post by visero »

Cheap, quality, all steel, and Radom's reputation, they made the hardest 98 mauser actions of all the other countries. I'm converting my 2 to .380 though since I'm having a rough time finding quality, affordable ammo
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Not sure what brands you have been using but here is a list of Mak ammo with some decent pricing if you buy it by the thousand. SIlver bear works great in all my mak pistols.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

I got mine by mistake. I'd never seen a Makarov up close and thought that it was a Makarov because the Sporting Goods chain said so. I bought it, brought it home and figured, "Well heck, it's still nice pistol". There is something sincere about both the Makarov and the P-64. They're tools, what you need, nothing more or less than that.

The genuine Makarov is a simpler handgun than the P-64 It's also much larger, with a higher magazine capacity.

I like to think of the P-64 as the PPK version of the Makarov PP. I could and have carried it in an ankle holster with ease.

Likes - hard hitting round for such a tiny handgun. Most pocket pistols, the PPK included, use at best 380 ACP. Most classic Euro handguns are 32 ACP or 380 ACP. Most of these will probably not reach the FBI criterion of 12 inches of penetration after going through clothing. I suspect that the Makarov round will do this nicely. It will probably also penetrate car doors, windshields and other normal barriers (have not yet tested this).

The Makarov is a nice "Lagom" handgun round that is not too big and not too little. The internal pressures are light (about like a 38 +P around 21,000 psi) compared to the 9mm NATO's 32,000 psi.

One of the myths about handguns is that their projectiles create large temporary cavities and "hydraulic shock". Most handgun projectiles are well below the speeds needed for this kind of performance.

Shot placement and damage to the Central Nervous system or larger structures of the cardiovascular system are needed for total incapacitation. For these purposes the 9mmx18 probably does a fine job.

The pistol is very reliable. I have not subjected it to dirt and water tests. I have let it get extremely filthy with shooting, to the point that I had a 1/16" inch of soot and muck in the extractor grooves. Kept right on firing.

Aside CCI Blazers I have NEVER EVER had this pistol fail to feed, fire and extract. The handgun will tolerate a lot of garbage and lack of cleaning. It has a "solid" feel to it. It's from a people and time when plastic wasn't considered a serious option for a handgun frame.

Dislikes - Magazines are tough to come by. I'm seriously thinking of making my own because they're that tough to locate at reasonable prices. The double action trigger is nasty. The single action trigger pull is angelic - seriously, it's that sweet. The pistol is heavy for its size. The factory grips are not very good, and probably account for some of the felt recoil. I think that nice aftermarket grips would tame the recoil.

The recoil of the P-64 can be irritating or painful. It's close to a 38 snubnose revolver using +P rounds. With proper ammunition loads the handgun is controllable, cheap to shoot and looks much like a PPK without all of the over engineering that our German friends insist on imposing on everything that they make. Plus the 9x18 is a good substantial round.

To cite the Baruch Criterion ' Would you buy this handgun if you had to do it over again?". I'm thinking of buying a second one. I've never regretted for a moment purchasing my P-64.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

visero wrote:Cheap, quality, all steel, and Radom's reputation, they made the hardest 98 mauser actions of all the other countries. I'm converting my 2 to .380 though since I'm having a rough time finding quality, affordable ammo
380 Auto is usually more expensive than 9mm Makarov, at least where I can get either one.

Wal-Mart does not normally carry 9x18mm nor do most large "chain" operations.

I patronize a Vest Pocket sized operation that is run by great people who carry 9mm Metric Winchester. Online sellers carry a wide variety of rounds. The Russian rounds are VASTLY less expensive than either 9mm Luger or 380 even with shipping and handling.

If all else fails get yourself some dies, some Mil-spec 9mm Luger brass, a case trimmer and 9x18mm dies. Many reputable companies stock 9.2mm bullets. You can always cast your own if you like.

You can easily form 9x18mm brass from 9mm Luger, taking into account the slightly lower case capacity of Mil Spec rounds. I won't use civilian brass because my P-64 flings the brass far far away, where it might get picked up by bone heads who want to reload it for their 9mm Luger. They will NOT like the results.

My younger brother is already doing this and seeing great results with lead bullets. I have all of the fixings but need to get some remodeling work done first before I start rolling my own 9x18mm. I've worked closely with my brother and see no issues.
frankmako

Post by frankmako »

i got my first one because a co worker had it for sale,,, for a very low price ($125.00) many mango seasons ago. after shooting it i went on the hunt for more. hard to beat a gun that just works. what i like is that the price is low and you don't care if something happen to the gun. i also like that the gun just works.
kyrpa

Post by kyrpa »

Wanted a CZ-82, ATF lost my C&R app, Gander Mountain had a sale on P64s.... same round, smaller gun, smaller magazine capacity, but overall cheaper after shipping is involved for the CZ... was a no-brainer.

Likes: Lot of punch for a small gun, all steel, loves Silver Bear. Looks great. I am more accurate with it than I am with my Walther P22.

Dislikes: 6 days of bruising in the webbing of my hand after every range trip. Hates every American 9x18 I've tried feeding it.