I sent this Email to John at Wolff

Info, pictures, advice...
vermonter

I sent this Email to John at Wolff

Post by vermonter »

John,

Posted a request to try and give you some input regarding the results that users have had "playing" with different weight PPK hammer springs. I hope this may help guide your team to design up with a hammer spring that can balance between a safe carry S/A trigger, and an improved D/A .

3 Comments from the P-64 Board guys:

#1) I have never had a mag drop, but I have had the light trigger result in back to back firing that I would rather not have... I make sure my pull through is complete now and others who've fired mine at the range have been so informed. I may go for the 18#, but now I'll wait to see what Wolff comes up with. If they come out with a new recoil spring, it may affect whether a 16# or 18# is better.
The lighter trigger has made my P64 one of my most accurate. (unsafe for defensive carry)!

#2) I have never heard of one mag drop with the 18# ppk spring in the P-64 only on the 16# and I have a 15# PA-63 recoil spring in 2 of my P-64's , if WOLLF makes a recoil spring for the P-64 I think people will be able to use it in the FEG BR-61's as well

#3) When I first tried the PP/PPK springs, I took a factory springout of a PP and IT was an improvement to the DA ... I think that a factory standard is 20# ... I now use 19# PP/PPK springs in all of mine and I haven't had any issues at all ... even in the pistols that DID drop the mag with the 14# and 16# springs. >>>> I'd think that 19 or 20 is where I'd recommend that they start. <<<<<<<< From Saands, our spring expert!
After trying to have some springs made, I'm suspecting that the primary reason that the factory recoil spring is so weak was the unavailability of better materials when it was designed.

I hope this helps John,