Slide modification...

Info, pictures, advice...
WayniacKT

Slide modification...

Post by WayniacKT »

I recently read where someone modified their PPK slide to help with slide bite. They sanded and filed the back of the slide so it was smooth and rounded. This supposedly helped keep it from cutting their hand. Sounds like it would work for the P-64 as well.
Since I love to tinker with my guns, perhaps I could take this a step further... Looking at the back of the slide, it appears to me that you could actually file the back 3/4" of the slide with a bit of an angle and then smooth the edges. That may help with this.
I love carrying this little cricket, but the bite gets brutal after several shots, and I don't carry what i cant practice with.
Any thoughts?
sharkey

Re: Slide modification...

Post by sharkey »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

For the most part the P-64 does have a slight upward angle at the rear of the slide to somewhat account for this. Not sure if it was mostly meant for gloved hands... Poland = cold. However, I would think you could increase the angle at the rear of the slide a bit more maybe. Other than that you may just have to be self-conscious about where your hand is on the grip.

My other thought on it is that no matter how smooth you can make the slide, is it going to be enough from it rubbing the webbing of your hand? That slide is going back like a million fps. I don't know if it's enough to make a huge difference. I think some pain would still be felt even if it were from friction.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

Buy a grip from Marschall that has a beavertail. Less hassle and you keep the gun more original.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Hopefully they have fixed their beavertail grips. There were reports on here of them splitting under recoil and sending splinters into the web of the shooter's hand. Something to think about.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF