new owner of a P64

Info, pictures, advice...
Stogies

new owner of a P64

Post by Stogies »

:hi: :hi: :hi:

Figures, I guess, or why would I be here? ;-)

I guess I just liked the looks of this little sleak beauty. And the price. I was looking for an extra backup carry gun and just something to collect. I actually purchased mine together with a CZ82 (if you guys know your P64s I am sure that is not unfamiliar to you.

Is there anything I should know before taking it to the range tomorrow?

P.S.: The recoil spring looks the same on both sides, does it matter which side you put in first? Sorry if that is a dumb question. :oops:
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Re: new owner of a P64

Post by Weasel640 »

Stogies wrote:P.S.: The recoil spring looks the same on both sides, does it matter which side you put in first? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Welcome.

The recoil spring should be slightly wider on one side. The wider end goes forward. Sometimes it's hard to tell but when you put it on the barrel you'll notice that one side is more snug fitting.

There is a lot of useful info here. Just browse around and you will learn much about your new P-64.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Weasel640 wrote:
Stogies wrote:P.S.: The recoil spring looks the same on both sides, does it matter which side you put in first? Sorry if that is a dumb question.
Welcome.

The recoil spring should be slightly wider on one side. The wider end goes forward. Sometimes it's hard to tell but when you put it on the barrel you'll notice that one side is more snug fitting.

There is a lot of useful info here. Just browse around and you will learn much about your new P-64.

What happens if I mess it up?
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Worst case: catastrophic failure.

Best case: nothing.

Just don't mess it up. Some of us have switched out our recoil springs for the Wolff aftermarket ones. Two reasons behind it: 1) More spring less recoil. 2) With heavy use springs get worn out, better to replace the spring than have a worn spring cause damage to other parts.

Read through the forums, this place is a wealth of knowledge. I have an ok collection of pistols, and the P-64 is one of my favorites. It's a great little gun.
Weasel

When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence.
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Thanks you very kindly for your help, I will take it apart again and check - not that it's very hard to field strip, right?
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Thank you again, took it apart again and sure enough, it was actually easy to fix with the tip you gave me. The tighter end is now on the barrel and the looser side points toward the muzzle.
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Back from the range. It was interesting!

Both guns ran fine, with the CZ82 having one stovepipe. One mag didn't actuate the slide open function and when I compared the 2 mags I found that the follower was in backwards on that one. Popped the mag open changed it and the slide open worked and no more stovepipes.

The P64 is not a fun gun to shoot as it recoils seemingly straight into your web / palm. It actually drew blood on me. I was not man enough to yank the trigger in DA but it has a very manageable SA trigger pull.

The CZ82 is a hoot to shoot, which seems remarkable given that the use the exact same cartridge. Good ergonomics to be blamed, I suspect. Points nicely and shoots very controllable with a sweet SA trigger pull.

On a side not, I also shot my XD9SC with some Tula steel ammo. Had one empty one get stuck and was able to kick it down and out of the empty mag well. After that I fired a few more shots and then the gun went kaputzki on me with the striker not resetting any more. The striker doesn't go into ready position anymore and the gun won't fire. As much as I love this gun it does not seem to like this type of ammo. This is however the second failure at all after 3,5K rounds fired.

Summary: 200 rounds of cheap steel ammo with 2 30 or so year old commie guns, one stovepipe, 50 rounds of cheap steel ammo thru the Capitalist gun and it's off to be fixed. You figure ;-)
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

Glad to hear your CZ-82 and P-64 worked out. The Recoil on the P-64 as in most smaller blow-back operated pistols is a trade off with the size. I.E.: there is less distance for the slide to travel to absorb the recoil. As I said before some of us switch the recoil springs and it helps. Also if you were gripping a little to high, slide bite could have caused the blood to be drawn on you web. Marschalgrips makes really nice grips that add a beaver tail to prevent slide bite and help with recoil. Also some of us switch out the hammer springs for lighter ones that help with the double action. Most people who do this choose the lightest available, but on some P-64s it makes the strike too light so get the variety three pack.

Sorry to hear about your XD I'm not to familiar with the strike action on those so can't really help on that. Personally I wouldn't feed the steel ammo through any of my guns except for my CZ-82.
Weasel

Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Weasel640 wrote:Glad to hear your CZ-82 and P-64 worked out. The Recoil on the P-64 as in most smaller blow-back operated pistols is a trade off with the size. I.E.: there is less distance for the slide to travel to absorb the recoil. As I said before some of us switch the recoil springs and it helps. Also if you were gripping a little to high, slide bite could have caused the blood to be drawn on you web. Marschalgrips makes really nice grips that add a beaver tail to prevent slide bite and help with recoil. Also some of us switch out the hammer springs for lighter ones that help with the double action. Most people who do this choose the lightest available, but on some P-64s it makes the strike too light so get the variety three pack.

Sorry to hear about your XD I'm not to familiar with the strike action on those so can't really help on that. Personally I wouldn't feed the steel ammo through any of my guns except for my CZ-82.
Thanks, I will take a look at those grips!
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

As an aside, the XD series of pistols are made in Croatia, by HS Produkt. I never knew that before.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

hunter316 wrote:As an aside, the XD series of pistols are made in Croatia, by HS Produkt. I never knew that before.
So..it's kinda-sorta a Commie gun too (in a round-about way) :wink:
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

MakAttack wrote:
hunter316 wrote:As an aside, the XD series of pistols are made in Croatia, by HS Produkt. I never knew that before.
So..it's kinda-sorta a Commie gun too (in a round-about way) :wink:
no wonder the XD guns are so good :D
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I had an XD40 for a short while. It shot amazingly well, was dead reliable with any ammo, and didn't cost a lot. My only gripe with them is their bulk when carried concealed. I guess that's why it was called a "service".
The pre SA ones are just as good, the HS2000.

This was it
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Yes, the XDs are from Croatia - but they have gone soft and become Capitalists! ;-)
Knarren und Zigarren!!!
Stogies

Post by Stogies »

Does anybody have or know a good CCW holster for the CZ82?
Knarren und Zigarren!!!