Manufacture year

Info, pictures, advice...
cjkoz1975

Manufacture year

Post by cjkoz1975 »

I just bought a p64 today as did my brother in law. We ordered them together from the same place. Both hand picked. When we got them one was a 1968 and the other a 1977. Is there any significant difference besides the hammer?
snailman153624

Re: Manufacture year

Post by snailman153624 »

yeah, one can be sold via C&R, and the other can't.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

snailman153624 wrote:yeah, one can be sold via C&R, and the other can't.
P64's are being sold as C&R
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

All of them? The late 70's models don't meet the 50 year rule.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Neither do the CZ82's but the ATF made them C&R also.

A 1968 manufacture wouldn't meet the 50 year rule until 2018 .
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

There is an early and late style magazine.

8) Magazines are of two types, early and late, the later style being readily identified by having approximately half the cut out area, top left by slide stop, as the early style. Yes or No.

8) Yes
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Don't forget the hammer spur difference: early=rounded, late= triangular. I'm sure there are other changes, but I don't do research. BTW, the "50 year rule" is no longer strictly applied by ATFE.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

You're right, I either misread the original year or forgot how to add.

Also, the later models have a 2nd "safety" which helps prevent the hammer from striking the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. Mine definitely has this....I definitely can't push the hammer forward to contact the firing pin unless the trigger is depressed (with the safety off), although some would argue that this mechanism isn't failsafe.
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

C&R, if I understand correctly, can be applied to newer guns if they have a curiosity or historic value, not just 50+ yrs old. If you look at the full list, there are some interesting guns that qualify. There are a couple of different Uzi SMG's, as well as a bunch of different limited edition/anniversary/special series guns. Look it up if you have a bit of time to spare. It really is interesting.
soram

Post by soram »

hunter316 wrote:C&R, if I understand correctly, can be applied to newer guns if they have a curiosity or historic value, not just 50+ yrs old. If you look at the full list, there are some interesting guns that qualify. There are a couple of different Uzi SMG's, as well as a bunch of different limited edition/anniversary/special series guns. Look it up if you have a bit of time to spare. It really is interesting.
You and others are correct, my friends. The C&R List is just that: a list controlled and maintained by the ATF. The "General Rule" is 50+ years old which (usually) automatically adds them to the list. BUT, the ATF frequently adds firearms, sometimes seemingly arbitrarily, to the list.

The "Rule of Thumb" is: If it IS on the C&R LIST it IS C&R eligible--regardless of whether it is 50 yrs old or not.

I hope this clears up the situation,

Ross
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

O. K. that settles the C&R thing---All the women I date are on that list too!!!

Now, the hammers are different and they each have corresponding firing pins. There are two types of trigger bars. I believe the latter ones is "improved" and you can retrofit. Cant say for sure on this.The firing pins and hammers should stay together---round hammer = long pin----spur hammer = short pin.