Rear sight- Removable?

Info, pictures, advice...
hunter316

Rear sight- Removable?

Post by hunter316 »

Hello all,
I know that everything I've read states that the rear sight is fixed, but it looks like it should be removable or adjustable. If nothing else, I'd like to remove it and paint it a lighter brighter color. I have issues with the sights as is when aiming at a black target. I saw in the Taurus vs P64 thread the OP had fiber optic front sights, and it looked as if he had made the rear sight either silver or white. Any pointers you wonderful folks can offer?
Donzi

Re: Rear sight- Removable?

Post by Donzi »

Not sure you'd have to remove the rear sight to paint it, but I won't swear to it. Maybe just mask off the rest of the slide when painting? Seems to me that you'd just need two red or orange dots on the back side of the rear sight? If you could Dremel 2 indents in the sight, it'd be easier to paint, maybe? JMHO, of course.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

There is another thread somewhere here about someone who attempted to drift his rear sight, I too believe that it is not fully fixed. If I remember correctly he had a real hard time trying to get it to move, but someone gave him a tip on how to do it. However, I am in agreement with Donzi about not really needed to remove it to paint, and besides what would happen to the paint when you tried to put it back in the divetail if it is that tight? I'm thinking it might strip off/ scratch that brand new paint bad. IMHO.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

I was just thinking it would be cleaner if I could remove it rather than taping it off. It's such a small surface to work with. I do like the dremel idea though...