Safe to carry 1968 vintage with round in the chamber?

Info, pictures, advice...
2old2run

Safe to carry 1968 vintage with round in the chamber?

Post by 2old2run »

Hi all,

I've got a 1968 vintage in really good shape and have finally smoothed the safety out. I've read various opinions as to whether or not it's safe to carry with one in the chamber, hammer down, safety either on or off. Some say if dropped on the hammer it will fire; others disagree. Anyone know for sure as I'd like to carry hammer down and safety off and then either pull the hammer back or just plan on legendary DA 264lb. trigger pull.

Thanks,

2old2run
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Safe to carry 1968 vintage with round in the chamber?

Post by Curly1 »

If you look at the slide when it is off the frame and work the safety you will see that the firing pin is blocked.

Carry with a round in the chamber and the safety on no problem.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I second that. It's how I carry mine. We've had at least two members who had AD's with a round chambered and the safety off.

Chambered + sfaety off = bang waiting to happen.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

With the hammer the way it is, I'd probably carry one in the chamber and safety on. As folks stated with AD's when the pistol is dropped and the hammer is struck. Other scenario is when the hammer catches on something (such as a seatbelt) like another member posted and the gun went off. The hammer on mine is bobbed so I don't worry about AD's. I have 100% reliability even with a 17# spring. I carry mine one in the chamber, safety off.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

You should read this? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Thanks to everybody for their sage advice. I also followed PA Joe's link and read through that and performed the pencil test. Safety on, pencil didn't launch. When it comes to gun handling and safety, I'm NEVER going against advice of people who know more, or even those who may know less and counsel the safer method. The problem I anticipate is that I recently got a 1911 and have more experience with it from the military way back when. I intend to carry both, but not at the same time, and the safeties, as everybody here knows, are the opposite of each other. I believe I'll just have to pick one and stick to it or go with Fairbairn's method of safety off, empty chamber, draw, rack slide, point and fire and then it wouldn't be an issue. Going to think about it for a while. Any thoughts on Fairbairn?

Thanks again,

2old2run
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Well it will be in issue if you don't have the time to rack the slide or only have one hand available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLba ... 9754AF9C49
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Curly1,

Did you ever see the Milwaukee PD training video on surviving edged weapons which shows a guy with a knife covering 7 yards and stabbing a cop before he can clear his holster? I was never a pistolero having been issued an M-60 back in the day on the other side of the world in the mid-late '60s. 1911 was more of a last extreme and it was cocked and locked. Will put in more training with the P-64 and 1911 and see how that works out. In the meantime, will just continue to carry the P-64 chambered, hammer down, safety on.

Thanks,

2old2run
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

2old2run wrote:which shows a guy with a knife covering 7 yards and stabbing a cop before he can clear his holster?
The Tueller Drill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill). It's a classic.

There are some strategies for minimizing the effects and, in a certain sense, the drill is rigged against the shooter.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
2old2run

Post by 2old2run »

Kirk,

I escaped from Chicago to rural Colorado about 25 years ago. Got a nice small house on about 12 acres, with clear fields of fire all around about 12 miles from a couple of small towns. My wife and I both think that ET had the right idea and home, where we have plenty to keep us occupied, is our favorite place. I'm 67 and she's younger. We've both had enough city, night life, partying, restaurants and like that. We don't have much gang activity, very little violent crime and no riots around here...yet. I've seen enough of the world to know that anything can happen to anyone, anytime, anyplace and it either will or won't. When we leave the house we carry. When my wife is home alone, she has something to hand.

I'm see that you're a fan of the bayonet. I've always thought it was a weapon that didn't get enough recognition, particularly on the end of an M1A.

Dessicant in your ammo cans,

2old2run
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

2old2run wrote:I'm see that you're a fan of the bayonet. I've always thought it was a weapon that didn't get enough recognition, particularly on the end of an M1A.
Light weight carbines killed the bayonet. When your spear/pole-arm is only 4' long it makes you kinda wonder "what's the point?" But have ya ever looked at the old Civil War muskets w/bayonet? Talk about reach!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

quote]Light weight carbines killed the bayonet. When your spear/pole-arm is only 4' long it makes you kinda wonder "what's the point?"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk[/quote]
Yeah, I've always wondered who the Rocket Scientist was who decided to modify the M1/M2 carbine w/a bayonet mount. Really? I can stretch out my arm w/a knife further than the length of the M1 carbine. Useless.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I have an original civil war issue rifled musket (1842 french pattern, unsure of place of manufacture) as issued by the US (they did, so did the south) with bayonet. And yes, there is "reach" there. Course the dang thing weighs a ton and just getting sideswiped by the bayonet when mounted on the long end of one of those would be bad enough without getting run through. And don't even think about getting butt stroked with that piece of lumber with an iron butt plate! Ouch!
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.