pow-r-ball ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by grayfox »

As they own corbon, they now have a new pow-r-ball 9x18 out. 70gr bullet at 1300fps. I got a box, should be a good self-defence load.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by abwehr »

grayfox,

I have not tried the pow-rball in 9mmx18mm yet, but I have in .40S&W, and I like them! The only problem is the price of the ammo as you do need to [practice with the ammo you will carry and it get expensive testing them out. My honest opinion is that the pow-r-ball is one of the best defensive rounds made.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by grayfox »

grayfox,

I have not tried the pow-rball in 9mmx18mm yet, but I have in .40S&W, and I like them! The only problem is the price of the ammo as you do need to [practice with the ammo you will carry and it get expensive testing them out. My honest opinion is that the pow-r-ball is one of the best defensive rounds made.
I agree. It will be worth the cost when it involves my life. They are running 16.00 a box of 20 in this area, cheap when you or a love ones on the line.
gmountain

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by gmountain »

I like the Pow-R-Ball. It's what I keep in my G19. I didn't know it was available in 9x18. Thanks for the heads up.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by bzinggg »

8-)I am inspired to insert an image, here: ;D

The 9x18 is smaller, of course, but proportioned similarly.
Last edited by bzinggg on March 2nd, 2007, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by nbender »

Well, let me be the stick in the mud. My opinion is that the 9x18 Pow'Rball just doesn't have the penetration to be a self-defense round, and it's too expensive for anything else. In fact it's too expensive to shoot enough of it to prove that it's reliable in your pistol. I'll take wagers that it's not on the market in 18 months.

I've shot some comparison tests into soaked newspaper. I think I referenced those tests before. Pow'Rball makes a very impressive initial "wound channel", but it goes very shallow. The 71-grain round sheds it's polymer nose on first impact, the remaining hollow-point bullet expands very efficiently, and the less-that-70-grains remaining just doesn't penetrate. Our caliber just doesn't equate with .223, where light and fast still gets the job done; you need more oomph - and maybe JHP - if you're using such a light bullet.

Jeez, I've been sounding like a grump here lately. But in the spirit of saying what I think, that's what I think. Only my opinion.
amd6547

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by amd6547 »

I have no problem relying on FMJ in this caliber, and I am philisophicaly opposed to expensive wonder bullets sold in small quantities. If they make you happy, have at it.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
jbailey

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by jbailey »

Got to agree. For "smaller" calibers, shot placement is more important than fancy ballistics, and that means LOTS of shooting (way beyond the hundreds for reliability) and if you can't afford to do that with your 'wonder ammo', you may have a problem in the making and not know it until way too late.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by grayfox »

If it makes me happy then I,m ok. I remember when officers were only allowed to carry round nose lead bullets, back then "hollowpoints" were the wonder bullets. If I ever have to use it and it don't work, I'll sell the rest to the BG.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by nbender »

I appreciate the sentiments Grayfox.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by grayfox »

nbender,
I sent you a pm. You got me thinking, 70gr is about the size of a 32. I may have to do some testing before I make up my mind. I still like S&B & silver bear fmj.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by bzinggg »

I have 1 box for the 1911A1s and 1 box for a Berretta Model FS86.

Here's a link to Cor-Bon's FAQ page. I'd suggest that a person read all the entries, regardless of the caliber discussed. You can get a real feel for the truth about this cartridge. Doesn't take two minutes.

http://www.dakotaammo.net/faq.htm

I'm going to stick with the Silver Bear for the Makarov caliber pistols. The blowbacks need that finer balance to run good.
A gun should run good.
Last edited by bzinggg on March 3rd, 2007, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by himmel »

Let me be the stick-in-the-mud's stick in the mud! ;) When you're talking about defensive rounds, is penetration necessarily the prime objective? Seems to me a "baton"-type round that knocks the BG down would serve most defensive purposes, ie to put the BG out of the fight long enough for you to escape, and a shallow-penetrating but highly expanding round would serve the same purpose--enough to put the BG out of the fight for awhile or to drive him off to less troublesome precincts.. I'm sure there's a hole in my theory, so someone please point it out. I mostly carry a .32, so I am really interested in this subject...
gmountain

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by gmountain »

I mostly carry a .32, so I am really interested in this subject...
I think CorBon in .32 is the best choice.

I also think the Pow-R-Ball is a good choice in 9x19. As far as the 9x18, I'll defer to you guys.
amd6547

pow-r-ball ammo

Post by amd6547 »

Penetration IS important. You may have to go through the arm that is holding a weapon at you. I like a round that is able to go in one shoulder and out the other, taking out the lungs, or in the front and into the spine. Or, through the interior wall that the bad guy is taking cover behind. I use JHP's in the 9mm browning high power that is my carry gun, but I keep a mag of FMJ for that pistol, as well. By the way, the JHP I favor in the browning is a +P by doubletap ammo
www.doubletapammo.com
a company that manages to sell high performance ammo in 50-round boxes at a reasonable price.
I use the example of Hornady--there is no reason on earth that their 9mm mak JHP should cost over $12 for a box of 20--I refuse to buy it.
Last edited by amd6547 on March 3rd, 2007, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."