Comparison: P-64 vs Taurus pt709 Slim Nine

Info, pictures, advice...
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Comparison: P-64 vs Taurus pt709 Slim Nine

Post by Ketchman »

Hi guys,

Spent a month in North Dakota working and busy as heck getting caught up since I got back. Anyway, I bought a Taurus Slim Nine in May and have been swapping it with my P-64 for daily carry to see which I like better. I have seen some guys here express an interest in the Slim Nine so I though I would send out my impressions.
1)The Taurus is not quite as thin as the P-64 although it's not much fatter. And the Taurus is taller due to longer grip. Both disappear under a light t-shirt quite nicely.
2)The Taurus is a bit lighter even with 8 rounds of 9mm on board as opposed to the 7 rounds of 9x18 in the P-64. However, the weight difference is small and not enough to choose one over the other in my opinion.
3) The sights on the Taurus are much better than the P-64. They are white 3 dot combat style with the rears adjustable for windage and elevation. However, mine shot low out of the box and I had to order the medium low front sight to correct that so that may be an issue for some. Taurus customer service was great, got me the sight in 4 days with no problem.
4) The Taurus loads full power 9mm and is certified for +p ammo which gives a much larger choice of loads to carry versus the P-64. Also much easier to find at small out of the way ammo stores.
5) The Taurus has an external safety on the frame, left side like a 1911, easier to reach than the slide mounted safety on the P-64, but not much as the P-64 is shorter making the slide mounted safety easier to reach than most pistols with a slide safety. The Taurus also has a safety built into the face of the trigger which makes no difference to me but some people do not like those.
6) The Taurus's mag release is in the same spot as most american pistols and is reversable for lefties and very easy to use. The mag catch on the P-64 being on the heel of the grip takes some practice but I find it quite servicable once learned.
7) The Taurus is lacking in looks compared to the P-64. The Taurus has a very distinct Glockish, blocky pedigree whereas the P-64 has class in rounded corners and smooth lines and a real blued finish.
8) Feel- the P-64 feels very good in your hand like classic pistols do whereas the Taurus is plastic and feels like it. The Taurus fits the hand very well, don't get me wrong, but it's plastic. And both point quite well but I think the P-64 points better naturally.
9) Shootability. I have never thought that the P-64's recoil was all that bad. I must say I was impressed with the Taurus's recoil, it is a very soft shooter given how small and light it is and that it shoots full 9mm. But again recoil is one of those things that is different to each person.
10) Triggers, how to compare. The Taurus is pretty dang good out of the box with the first trigger stroke being a single action pull (5-6lbs??). Unlike other striker fired pistols though, the slide does NOT have to be worked in order to reset the striker. Just pull the trigger again because the Taurus reverts to a double action pull after the first pull if you have a dud primer (10lbs????) and will keep going like that until the slide is retracted (by hand or through normal cycling from firing) at which time it reverts to single action. The P-64's single action trigger is nicer by far but the double action is not, even after changing out the springs.
All in all, I have to say that I love both pistols but for different reasons and I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I hope this helps those of you out there who are thinking about the Taurus. I am happy with both pistols but for different reasons. :hi:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
lklawson

Re: Comparison: P-64 vs Taurus pt709 Slim Nine

Post by lklawson »

Pics?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

The Taurus will have less recoil because it has a lock-up slide, where the P-64 is blow-back. 9x18 to 9x19 is the nominal threshold for requiring a locking slide by design (although there are exceptions). I've never been happy with Taurus- always seem to jam.
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

Big advantages for the Taurus:
-The Taurus safety is actually easy to flip off (and works in the proper direction), whereas the P64 safety is tough and operates in the wrong direction.
-The Taurus is drop safe without its safety on.
-7 rounds of 9mm+p in a mag vs. 6 rounds of 9x18 in a mag (although this just depends on if you're a caliber snob. I'm not. I'm pretty sure a 9x18 center mass will convince an attacker that they are currently needed elsewhere, asap)

Advantages for the P64:
-Cost
-SA trigger
-Proven reliable design

The new single stack 9mm's all have their various advantages over the P64, but they just aren't as cool, and sure aren't as cheap.

My carry P64 was one of AIM's lower grade guns, I spent maybe $160 for it, then like $10 for new springs. The reason it was a lower grade? God knows what happened with the bluing, but someone just messed up. There's maybe 33% of the bluing left, but not due to wear, just due to it being applied improperly. In fact, the darn thing looked new inside when I got it. I suspect some polish armorer took it out of a crate, looked at the finish, said "wtf?" then stuck it right back in the crate where it sat until it was exported here. As a side note, it the way the bluing is worn looks awesome, it gives the gun this "old but well loved" look.

I note that I own a whole bunch of guns, and have a customized springfield EMP for carry, yet keep carrying my P64 lately. There's just something cool about carrying a comm bloc gun.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Ok, you asked for pics, I hope I did it right this time DFUNK. Here they are, I think you guys are all way smart enough to figure out which one is which. :lol:
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Nice pics. Thanks.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Thanks for the post. My new Taurus shoots low, so I ordered new sights. I took my P64, CZ-82 and my Taurus PT709 to the range and shot all three. I like each for different reasons. I was much more accurate with the P64 and the CZ-82, but I was used to these guns. I like the recoil on the Taurus and the feel in my hand. I also have a mag extension for it. However, the P64 is a cool gun to carry and has performed flawlessly for me. I still like the Taurus and will be carrying it also.
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

OP-
I like the fiber optic sight that you have on your P64. Also, it looks as if you've done something to the rear notch sight? How did you go about doing this? I've found the factory sights on mine to be less than optimal in darker conditions, esp against a dark target. I've used sight paint on the front blade, but that doesn't help much.
I'd love to know what you did. It looks like it would work great.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Thanks hunter316, I am quite pleased with how the mod turned out. It works extremely well for these older eyes in daylight and well in lower light. Here is the link to the thread that explains how I did it and more pics.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4538

Hope it helps.
hunter316

Post by hunter316 »

Very interesting, but it looks to be beyond my skill level. Someone else had a sight mod in that thread that is closer to what I can do- JB Weld a tube behind the blade. Thanks for the link though. Good read.