P64 RECOIL

Info, pictures, advice...
wolfstein

Re: P64 RECOIL

Post by wolfstein »

It was not my intention to offend anyone or speak out of turn. If I did, I apologize.
Ergo

Post by Ergo »

wolfstein wrote:It was not my intention to offend anyone or speak out of turn. If I did, I apologize.
Couldn't even find a post.... The P64 is a pussy.......Easy to shoot.
cjkoz1975

Post by cjkoz1975 »

Not to kick the dead horse here but I just ordered my first P64. I usually shoot a glock 26, and a Kahr CW45. I have read that the recoil on the P64 is just horrible. Now I'm not exactly a "big guy" but I'm not a small guy either. 6'2" 200 lb. I enjoy shooting the before mentioned pistols. I ordered the P64 because it looks like an awesome alternative to the Walther. Plus it has more firepower. I guess what I'm looking for is whether or not this gun is going to be something I will like to shoot or is something I am going to hate. I mean people make it sound like it is trying to hold on to a burning piece of steel for crying out loud. Personally I would love to get good at shooting this gun and then keep it in my truck for personal safety. Let me know what you think if you have this gun.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum CJ, I think the recoil is still snappy with the 22lb recoil spring.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

cjkoz1975 wrote:Not to kick the dead horse here but I just ordered my first P64. I usually shoot a glock 26, and a Kahr CW45. I have read that the recoil on the P64 is just horrible. Now I'm not exactly a "big guy" but I'm not a small guy either. 6'2" 200 lb. I enjoy shooting the before mentioned pistols. I ordered the P64 because it looks like an awesome alternative to the Walther. Plus it has more firepower. I guess what I'm looking for is whether or not this gun is going to be something I will like to shoot or is something I am going to hate. I mean people make it sound like it is trying to hold on to a burning piece of steel for crying out loud. Personally I would love to get good at shooting this gun and then keep it in my truck for personal safety. Let me know what you think if you have this gun.
it's bad but it's not THAT bad. it's not as bad as firing 357 out of a snub, but it's still in no way fun, and you're done after 2-3 mags. but that's enough to get decent with it, and no reason you can't use it as a truck gun.

i keep a p-64 and cheap holster in my car at all times, in case i do something bizarre like leave the house without a carry gun (i've actually done this a few times).
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

cjkoz1975 wrote:Not to kick the dead horse here but I just ordered my first P64....
Please update this thread with the results you get as a first time shooter of P-64.

Looks like most think recoil is harsh and a few say not bad.

The wife usually shoots around 8 full mags from the P-64 during a shooting session. These are not at once, and are mixed with shooting a Hi-Point 40 S&W and Ruger 22/45. Never complained about recoil one time. Couldn't hit anything either, so just now got her a $250 S&W 38 Special model 64-5, and now all holes are in the target.

Just posted a youtube video of her shooting the P-64, if you wish to see the mild recoil.
http://youtu.be/3uW5FBDL9Kc
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

There has been some discussion about going to 20 or even 22-pound recoil springs to lessen the recoil of the P64. Most say that they can't tell any difference between stock springs and the increased pressure springs.

I'd like to ask the question from a slightly different direction. I have a P64 with a 20-pound spring. I'm considering going to the 22-pound spring because with the 20-pound spring, the spent cases stop about 30 feet away.

I guess I'm "spoiled" by my Bulgie Mak, which will walk cases over the right side of my head.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
snailman153624

Post by snailman153624 »

I have a stiffer slide/recoil spring than stock, and don't feel any difference. Spent shell casings still fly the aforementioned 30 feet.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I agree with snailman. I have used both springs by switching them out at the range. Didn't notice much difference in felt recoil. Both fling the cases a long ways. Only way to remedy the cases is to buy or MAKE a brass catching device. I posted a topic on here somewhere about one I made for cheap!. Springs were the stock 18# and 20# Wolff.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
rickn8or

Post by rickn8or »

Oh, I'm not interested in chasing down empty steel berdan cases, just thought the slide might be battering things with the stock spring.

And maybe a little recoil reduction. It seemed to make a big difference in my Maks.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

rickn8or wrote:Oh, I'm not interested in chasing down empty steel berdan cases, just thought the slide might be battering things with the stock spring.

And maybe a little recoil reduction. It seemed to make a big difference in my Maks.
When I first shot the P-64, the Safety Catch broke in half. Thinking this might be due to worn stock springs, replaced with 22 lb spring kit. Didn't notice any change in recoil but hopefully will prevent future damage.

I wonder if the ammo used is also making a difference for some?
Never shot commercial ammo in the P-64.

Normally use Berrys Plated 95gr with 3.9gr of W231/HP38, which chrono at 1027 fps and 221 ft/lbs. This is nearly dead on what the factory 9x18 is designed to shoot. Also shot some hot loads at 1193 fps and 300ft/lbs, which had noticably more kick.

Seeing some factory cases bulged with commercial P-64 ammo, makes me wonder if some are a little on the Hot side, perhaps even hotter than the above.

The reload Vs commercial aspect might also explain the difference of shots normally fired at the range. I bring 3 boxes of 50 for the P-64 every time I go, just in case. At least 2 or 3 of us will shoot the P-64. Usually have more than a full box left when done.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I agree it's not as bad a snubby .357, but it is the least pleasant firearm to shoot that I own. The Kel-tec P11 comes in second, but I would describe it as fairly managable.
My P64 is a bit of a handful. Even when I tried a death grip on it, I still had to re-adjust my grip every 2-3 shots.
With that said, you don't need to fear it. It's just not a lot of fun to shoot for moderate to extended periods.
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

expressdog01 wrote:I am thinking of getting a p64, but all i hear is the recoil is so bad, does anyone know how it compairs to the recoil on a keltec p11 9mm, i don't see how it would be and i don't think the p11 is bad , and do they seem to be a gun that will take a high round count . thanks
Compared to a Colt 45 1911 the P-64 isn't as heavy but it has a "snap" to it. The S&W Airweight in 38 +P is even "snappier" than a P-64, to the point of being punishing.

If I could get more magazines - something that I will manage one of these days - and spares I'd probably carry my P-64 much more often. It's a nice compact handgun with a respectable round. I bet that the grandchildren of P-64 owners will be able to shoot them. Those Eastern Bloc folks built stuff to last.

I've shot Silver Bear, Winchester Metric, Hornady Critical Defense and CCI Blazer out of my P-64. Only round I've ever had problems with was the Blazer aluminum cases in 9x18mm. The rest fed, fired and cycled flawlessly when the pistol was very cold, very hot and extremely dirty.

Still haven't reloaded for it yet. Been too busy at work for much range and/or bench time this summer :(
GeneCC

Post by GeneCC »

RobsTV wrote:
rickn8or wrote:Seeing some factory cases bulged with commercial P-64 ammo, makes me wonder if some are a little on the Hot side, perhaps even hotter than the above.
I've seen some tiny bulging near the head of the case with commercial ammo, especially those Blazers. Enough to notice with an eyeball but probably nothing that a good resizing wouldn't fix.

The Silver Bears DO NOT bulge. They do get kind of smoky. I pick up all ejected up to look at them for pressure signs.

Someone above had asked about ejection distance. I added Wolf springs to mine, the highest value (I think but am not certain that it was 22 pounds). Recoil DID feel slightly different but ejection distance was not moderated. The rounds will go almost anywhere, well up to ten to fifteen feet. I like to go find them - it's fun to see how really random the distribution of the brass can be. Also a good stretch when I pick up the brass/steel whatever. Good for the lower back.
robchart

Post by robchart »

I am trying to figure out which weight springs to order for the P-64. I've heard that replacing the recoil spring doesn't help much. I cannot even pull the trigger back in DA, but would a #18 spring change tis problem. Love the gun, don't want to part with it.