P64 RECOIL

Info, pictures, advice...
expressdog01

P64 RECOIL

Post by expressdog01 »

I am thinking of getting a p64, but all i hear is the recoil is so bad, does anyone know how it compairs to the recoil on a keltec p11 9mm, i don't see how it would be and i don't think the p11 is bad , and do they seem to be a gun that will take a high round count . thanks
RobsTV

Re: P64 RECOIL

Post by RobsTV »

The recoil is bad compared to a .22

The recoil is not bad at all compared to similar sized guns that weigh less.
With more than a dozen guns to choose from, the P-64 is my 51 year old wife's favorite, so if she has no problem (and actually like's it), I would guess anyone should have no problem.

Smaller guns will have more recoil than larger guns at same power factor.
Lighter guns will have more recoil than heavier guns at same PF.
The P-64 is not that small and not that light. Best of both!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Dog.

IMO recoil is harsh enough that you won't be shooting hundreds of rounds in 1 session.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

With the stock springs, it's pretty bad. About like shooting a full bore 357. With a spring swap, it softens up some. I know not everybody will agree with me here, but I think the P64 is not a fun gun to shoot at the range.

But note, I love mine (have two) and carry the one with the well worn finish. For a reasonably priced carry gun you can count on, nothing really competes. Yeah, Makarovs are reliable as well, but put one side by side with a P64. A P64 will conceal under any garmet, you don't ever need to think about what you're going to wear. A Mak, eh, you need to select baggier clothing. A kel-tec? Get the heck out of here, you're going to compare a budget gun made as cheaply as possible to a pistol issued to an entire coutry's police force and military?
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Really, you guys think recoil is that bad? Full bore 357's?

The only two others I have with sorta similar recoil are a CZ27 7.65 (32acp) and a Hi-Point 40 S&W. The 32 kicks a little less, and the 40 S&W (full size frame, heavy and longer 4.5" barrel) kicks about the same.

I do have a Hogue Jr grip on the P-64 though.
Also never fired factory ammo, only reloads that perform around factory specs.

Normally go through around 70 rounds at the range with the P-64, only stopping to shoot a few other weapons, not from getting beat up.
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

expressdog01 wrote:I am thinking of getting a p64, but all i hear is the recoil is so bad, does anyone know how it compairs to the recoil on a keltec p11 9mm, i don't see how it would be and i don't think the p11 is bad , and do they seem to be a gun that will take a high round count . thanks
I own the PF9, P11, and P64. The felt recoil on the P64 is definitely more uncomfortable than on the PF9, which is itself more uncomfortable than the P11.

The straight blowback design and higher slide/trigger above the web of the hand gives it a good deal of snap and twist at the wrist. However, the trigger and sights make the P64 much easier to shoot accurately than the Kel Tec offerings.

I wrote a short comparison of the P64 to the PF9
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4022

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Legally Armed

Post by Legally Armed »

lklawson wrote:
expressdog01 wrote:I am thinking of getting a p64, but all i hear is the recoil is so bad, does anyone know how it compairs to the recoil on a keltec p11 9mm, i don't see how it would be and i don't think the p11 is bad , and do they seem to be a gun that will take a high round count . thanks
I own the PF9, P11, and P64. The felt recoil on the P64 is definitely more uncomfortable than on the PF9, which is itself more uncomfortable than the P11.

The straight blowback design and higher slide/trigger above the web of the hand gives it a good deal of snap and twist at the wrist. However, the trigger and sights make the P64 much easier to shoot accurately than the Kel Tec offerings.

I wrote a short comparison of the P64 to the PF9
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4022

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I actually don't know why the PF9 is as snappy as it is. The Taurus 709 and Kahr CM9 are in the same class, yet are a lot softer shooting. Anyway I digress.

Yeah, the P64 has a lot of snap and twist. It really beats up the web of my hand. However, the P64 trigger (especially with a spring swap) in SA is stupidly good which definitely helps with accurate shooting. In SA with a spring swap, P64 triggers are around 3lbs. About the only other centerfire pistol that can get a trigger there is a 1911 with a trigger job.
Ergo

Post by Ergo »

Lawson, Just read your web page. Looks like any gun might be a disadvantage for your fighting style. :)
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Legally Armed wrote:I actually don't know why the PF9 is as snappy as it is. The Taurus 709 and Kahr CM9 are in the same class, yet are a lot softer shooting. Anyway I digress.
Beats me. I have a hankering to shoot the 709 Slim some time. It is a little larger than the PF9. I think the CM9 is about the same dimensions but a bit heavier but I haven't looked it up or anything.
Yeah, the P64 has a lot of snap and twist. It really beats up the web of my hand. However, the P64 trigger (especially with a spring swap) in SA is stupidly good which definitely helps with accurate shooting. In SA with a spring swap, P64 triggers are around 3lbs. About the only other centerfire pistol that can get a trigger there is a 1911 with a trigger job.
Yeah, it's got a pretty sweet trigger. I guess it makes up for the recoil. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Ergo wrote:Lawson, Just read your web page. Looks like any gun might be a disadvantage for your fighting style. :)
Well, a bowie knife or a tomahawk can make a wound channel that most handguns can only dream of. :) Nevertheless, a handgun can come close, at least in penetration, and requires many times less training and strength.

All weapons are force equalizers but a gun does it best. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Love my P64 It has some recoil but shoot a 500 Smith & Wesson magnum. My Smith wil make you appreciate the P64
budman46

Post by budman46 »

blow-back operated guns with fixed-barrels have a sharper recoil. the recoil impulse is softer in locked-breech guns with barrels that move out of battery, spreading the recoil over slightly more time.

budman

ignorance is fixable...
budman

ignorance is fixable...
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

wolfstein wrote:Love my P64 It has some recoil but shoot a 500 Smith & Wesson magnum. My Smith wil make you appreciate the P64
Same here. I guess after seeing a lot of people complain that a 500 recoil is so bad that they sell it after 1 shot, and seeing as I can regularly shoot 40 rounds at a time, (even the wife shoots the S&W500), any talk about P-64 recoil seems like discussing a 22 rifle's recoil. Recoil in a P-64? Guess the 500 shooters are not the ones to respond..
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

It's more than a Keltec p11. My P64 has 20# recoil spring and 19# mainspring.
If not for the lack of spare parts availability, I would definitely consider it a lifetime gun. As it is I will likely sell it someday.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Foo there seems to be quite a few parts on GB latley.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary