dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

New Bill introduced - HR 1022

Post by dolang1 »

Here's one I found amusing. Later Don

If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the
Iraq theatre of operations during the last 22 months, and a total of
2,112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 10,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington D.C. is 80.6 per 10,000 for the
same period.

That means that you are about 25% more likely to be shot and killed in
the U.S. Capitol, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in
the nation, than you are in Iraq.

Conclusion:

The U.S. should pull out of Washington immediately.
zbysiu23

Post by zbysiu23 »

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE POSTING...

LETS KEEP THIS ALIVE !!!

KEEP SIGNING AND FORWARDING PEOPLE !!!!

CHRIS
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Got a letter from my Congressmen today:

"Dear Mr. Barnett:

Thank you for letting me know of your opposition to H.R. 1022, legislation that would renew the ban on semi-automatic assault weapons.

You can be sure that I share your interest in this matter and appreciate knowing your thoughts. As you know, the original weapons ban was passed in Congress in 1994 and subsequently expired on September 14, 2004. This ten-year ban built upon a 60-year history of federal regulation of firearms. Its supporters with and outside Congress hoped this legislation would have had a positive law enforcement effect in the war against violent crime. The ban, however, also generated the most intense kind of opposition to governmental policy. Enforcement of the ban was challenged in the courts, and several bills introduced in past Congresses sought to overturn or modify the ban.

During the first session of the 110th Congress Representative Carolyn McCarthy has introduced H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. This bill would reinstate for ten years repealed criminal provisions regarding assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices (the assault weapons ban). H.R. 1022 has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee where it awaits further consideration. Because of your interest in this matter, and in an effort to be of all possible assistance to you, I have taken the liberty of sharing your opposition to H.R. 1022 with my colleagues on the committee. As they continue to review the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act, please know they will keep your thoughts in mind.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding this matter of mutual concern. It is my hope that you will continue to keep me apprised of your interest in legislative issues important to you. With best wished and personal regards, I am

Very truly yours,
C.W. Bill Young
Member of Congress"

kinda sounds like a generic response to me, but I don't know. Hope they do keep my thoughts in mind.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

barnett, your Congressman didn't exactly say what his position was did he? Man it can be frustrating to read that political gobbeldegook (I hope I spelled that correctly).

Do you think ("I have taken the liberty of sharing your opposition to H.R. 1022 with my colleagues on the committee") that he told the other Senators that barnett is in opposition to the bill? Personally, it sort of sounds to me like he's in favor of the bill. At least, he didn't say he was against it.

A friend of mine learned a real lesson in political double talk. He ate dinner with Bill Clinton when he was Pres and Clinton promised him everything he was asking. Within a week he signed legislation completely opposite to what he'd told my friend.
zbysiu23

Post by zbysiu23 »

Hey....Who would ever take Clinton seriously....
But I am sure He is a fun dude to party with..
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

I knew that response was bound to happen, but this isn't about Clinton (smiley face).
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

to me it sounds more like he is tired of haveing to put up with opposition to the original ban and he is not looking forward to the fight again.

"The ban, however, also generated the most intense kind of opposition to governmental policy. Enforcement of the ban was challenged in the courts, and several bills introduced in past Congresses sought to overturn or modify the ban."

Clintons a s***bag and his wife is twice as bad...
Last edited by barnett3006 on March 23rd, 2007, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Ok, he writes: "Enforcement of the ban was challenged in the courts", but what does he say about his opinion on that??
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

"The language of the sublime politician uses words and phrases to give all constituents with varying opinions the false impression that the sublime politician both understands and agrees with the constituent." Daniel L. Beasley, Thoughts of the Ordinary Reasonable Man, 3/23/07.
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by nbender »

Yeah!
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

if there is an opinion in that letter, I cant see it. I was saying what it sounded like to me...you know how things can be read (especially letters, emails and internet forum postings) to sound one way or the other. because we were not in the room when he wrote this and because of his lack of a definitive opinion on the matter in the letter, we will probably never know what his opinion is.

I was just searching the website of congress and of Bill Young...couldnt find any bills that he sponsored or cosponsored pertaining to firearms. The websites dont tell you which way he voted on the previous gun ban bills though (at least that I could find).

nbender, Im pretty sure you spelled gobbledegook correctly :) and you said it man, it truly is frustrating...
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

"The language of the sublime politician uses words and phrases to give all constituents with varying opinions the false impression that the sublime politician both understands and agrees with the constituent." Daniel L. Beasley, Thoughts of the Ordinary Reasonable Man, 3/23/07.
I think I need that on a T-shirt.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I was at a shop I just discovered the other day and was amassed that the owner and a couple of people in there had no idea about this bill. that is scary we have to stay on top of this.