New Bill introduced - HR 1022

Info, pictures, advice...
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

My $.02....our government is a long, long way from what our founding fathers intended. My son (15) and I were talking the other day about how it used to be an honor to serve as an unpaid legislator. The early legislators lived in boarding houses and paid their own way.

Now it all seems to be about how much $ you can make while you're in office. A good start would be to make lobbying illegal. Then replace income tax with a federal sales tax (corps would NOT be exempt). And cut way back on salary and perks for elected officials...which should help weed out some of the folks in it for the $.

Anyway, this won't help, but I feel better now. I agree with anjdrifter, letters are more effective because they have to physically handle them, so I guess I'll give the post office a little business.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

4bfox, You sound like an old time Vermonter. The liberals from Massachusetts and New Jersey moving up here are trying to do away with that concept. They all want $$, and they are getting elected!
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Sure they are....it's unfortunate that these days the candidate with the most $$ usually gets elected. Don't know about you, but I'm scared to death about Hillary...really don't want 8 more years of the Clintons.

Not that I agree with everything GW has done...I'm a registered Democrat, but I find myself voting more toward the Republican side these days. My Dad laughs at me, says that "kids vote Democratic, adults vote Republican".
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

YUP
rlj102468
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by rlj102468 »

I'm only 38 (lol) but have seen enough politics to make me sick. Just think what Hillary will do to the female interns! And they thought Bill was bad.

C-Ya, Bobby J.
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Wow! Hadn't thought of that angle.....but you may be right. Bill's probably turned her off on men.

Maybe she can go for the "gay" voters....
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

GOT THIS TODAY FORM MY CONGRESSMAN

Dear Mr. Sutton:

Thank you for your recent correspondence in opposition to H.R. 1022, Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, in 1994 Congress banned for ten years the possession, transfer, or further domestic manufacture of semiautomatic assault weapons and high capacity ammunition feeding devices (detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds) that were not legally owned or available prior to September 13, 1994. On September 13, 2004, the assault weapons ban expired. The Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007, introduced by Representative McCarthy, would reauthorize this ban for ten years.

I strongly oppose H.R. 1022, and I am glad that we agree on the importance of the American citizen's right to keep and bear arms. Every law-abiding citizen should be free to own a gun for self-defense or recreational purposes if they so choose. I believe that with this right comes the obligation to be safe and responsible in the handling of firearms. As you are aware, there are many laws such as background checks already in place to help prevent criminals from obtaining guns. I believe that existing laws, as well as the strict enforcement of penalties for crimes committed with guns, are sufficient.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views. If you are experiencing difficulties with a federal agency, are interested in legislation pending before Congress ore merely wish to express your opinions, please visit my website at www.adamputnam.house.gov.

May God continue to bless America.

Sincerely,

Adam Putnam
Member of Congress

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
4bfox

Post by 4bfox »

Wow...if this guy really votes the way he talks, we need a lot more like him!
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

Hey at least Norm got an answer my guy has his head somewhere where there is no light havent heard anything from him since he asked for contributions. oh yeah I will remember to give (to his next rival)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with anjdrifter, we need more congressmen like Norm's that will make a stand and and be counted. Mine has not yet responded and he and I went to grade school and high school together, hummmm, maybe that's part of the problem, plus I use to date his wife, maybe I should write his wife..... ;D

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

well is a responds that is a typical answer from politition..wait till next election....
Dear Mr. Van Hauter:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your concern for H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing your views on this important matter.

Let me begin by saying that I am a supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and I believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to bear and own arms. I have a long family history with firearms. My ancestors were craftsmen who developed a firearm known as the Carper rifle 150 years ago in West Virginia. My father was an avid outdoorsman and gun collector. I am a gun owner myself, and have taken my sons trap shooting as part of their introduction to firearms training in the Boy Scouts.

With that said, I believe the level of gun related violence on our streets is of great concern. In my view, Congress should consider common sense gun reform designed to make our neighborhoods safer, especially when law enforcement officials deem it appropriate.

As you know, the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban expired last year. In September of 1994 the ban was passed to prohibit the possession, transfer, or domestic manufacture of semiautomatic assault weapons for ten years. During the 108th Congress an amendment to a gun reform measure sponsored by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), was passed by my colleagues. The amendment would have extended for another ten years the prohibition on semi-automatic weapons such as AK-47’s and Uzi’s. Even though a majority of my colleagues supported Senator Feinstein’s amendment including myself, the larger bill was defeated.

With that said, it is important that Congress consider common sense gun reform. I believe we need to take a close look at this legislation, and should hear from all sides. Please be assured that I will certainly keep your views in mind should I have the opportunity to vote on H.R. 1022 or similar legislation during the 110th Congress.

Thank you again for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about matters of importance to you.

With best personal regards, I am

Sincerely,

Tom Carper
United States Senator

Please do not respond to this email. To send another message please visit my website at http://carper.senate.gov/aemail.cfm and fill out the webform for a prompt response. Thank you.
Last edited by anjdrifter on March 13th, 2007, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

I lived in NCC, DE. That response doesn't surprise me since he refused to pass shall issue when he was Governor.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

well this should not surprise you either Joe Bidens son is now Atty. General he is not in favor either..
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Sometimes i think it's time for Texas to become independent again...
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by bzinggg »

8-) ;D 8-)