And I finally got to shoot it

Info, pictures, advice...
Moid62

And I finally got to shoot it

Post by Moid62 »

I convinced my father (now 83) to bring a couple of his pistols out to my rifle club and shoot them.

He brought his 1911 and his P38 and I of course brought my P64. We had a great time and I found out why folks love the 1911. He hasn’t fired a pistol in over 30 years. He was an MP in the Army back in the 50’s and learned to shoot one handed, but wasn’t real comfortable with that anymore so I gave him a quick block of instruction on the weaver stance and he decided he like that much better.
The P64 performed well, I was able to hit paper plates with it from 25 yds., if I focused. The recoil was sharper than the other pistols but I didn’t find the muzzle flip to be as pronounce as the 1911. The P38 was just mild and smooth.

I had two minor issues with the P64; the slide didn’t lock back at the end of the first mag but locked back every time after that. And the trigger guard hinge pin started to work loose. It was sticking out maybe ¼” from the right side after 25 rounds. I followed Norm’s instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2931&hilit=hinge+pin

I removed the Pin, detent and spring, cleaned and re-assembled. I can’t imagine how that would come loose considering how much tension it’s under.
cjm135

Re: And I finally got to shoot it

Post by cjm135 »

I looked at mine and the hinge pin was peeking out a little on the left side. I wonder if hooking the trigger guard on the right side of the frame causes the pine to shift left. I can see how it would move if there is enough dirt to eliminating any clearance, causing the pin to rotate ever so slightly. It will start to screw it self out. I'll have to watch this and try hooking the guard on the left side.
P64 Inmate #3367