9mm Makarov ammo source.

Info, pictures, advice...
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm having a heck of a time finding JHP ammo at the local gun shows or from dealers here in Portland Oregon. When I do find some it goes between $17.00 to $23.00+ per box of 20 count. I'm not sure if the sources are drying up or the caliber is just not popular in this area. When I find a source on the INTERNET the prices are retail plus cost of shipping. Does anyone know of a dealer in the Pacific Northwest area that Carry's Wolf, Silver or Brown Bear JHP ammo.? As always your input is greatly appreciated.................. G.R.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by bzinggg »

This is the right stuff, the right price, and the right place, AIM Surplus who are very reasonable on shipping:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Sliv ... _FMJ_.html

...works great in your P-64 and is a good personal protection round as well as a properly priced range round. And it's a little over one third of the price you are subjecting yourself to.
Last edited by bzinggg on February 20th, 2007, 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve98664

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by steve98664 »

I am in the Portland area too and it is pretty slim. The last gunshow had Brown Bear mak at 12 per box!

Keiths down in Portland has some ammo, but not a lot and I don't know current prices. I seem to remember the last lowest prices there to be about 10 per box, but that was 6 months ago.

I buy on the internet mostly. The best buys are at AIM in my opinion for silver bear or steel cased S&B. You have to fax or scan/email them a copy of your drivers license though, which I didn't really like. Almost all online dealers require it.

You can contact the guy at this site, James and see if he'll bring you bulk ammo at the next gunshow. He offered to do that for me some time ago, but his prices have gone up a lot reflecting the overall increases I've seen. He gave me a fantastic deal on regular 9mm HP reloads that are way cheaper than any Mak stuff I can buy right now, not that it helps with our Mak ammo dilemma!

http://surplusammo.com/index.php?osCsid ... f754ef0941

The Salem guys at the gunshow have Mak ammo for 15-20 as you mentioned.
steve98664

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by steve98664 »

Hey, let me know if you find something promising in the area for brass cased mak ammo like S&B. I have a shooting course coming up that requires 600 rounds and I think the chose range is very picky about Russian ammo, but will probably allow S&B or maybe MFS.....

Almost everything I have right now is steel cased Mesko or Silver bear. The range owners website rant about wolf makes me think that I'll be stuck unless I can get something else.
Last edited by steve98664 on February 20th, 2007, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nicksterdemus

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by nicksterdemus »

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_1_29

That oughta be right down the road from ya. Maybe ya can pick it up n save on the shipping.

Brown bear @ 12? Ouch! I hear Wolf howlin'. Tell 'em you'll bring ya own magnet n sweep the area..........
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks once again guys,
It's really nice to be associated with such a great group of folks. I have read and absorbed more information with in the last few weeks than I could have found in months of searching the rest of the net. I've already found several great sources right here in my area thanks to the great replies from the forum.
Thank you once again,
G.R.
steve98664

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks for the link nicksterdemus

They are the same firm from Salem that was at our last gunshow. They didn't have any of the Wolf Military shown on their inventory at the show. They did have the other ammo in the 15-20 range.

The winchester they sell for 16 is S&B made in the Czech Republic.

I may call them still prior to the next gunshow in Portland and ask if they will bring some Wolf ammo to set aside for me.....

I think maybe they just had a busy show last time since they were all out of their bulk reloaded Miwall ammo (none Mak) also when I stopped by early Saturday afternoon. They usually have a huge amount of that.
nicksterdemus

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by nicksterdemus »

I've haven't ordered from as yet. Was interested in their 38spl reloads. They ship out of Kentucky I believe as well. 1 of the few times AR n TX is considered Eastern. Not sure how proud they are of shipping. The S&B 7.62x25 was $14+ @ Gander mnt n I had 2 have them order it. Needed sumpthin 2 fill up a 20 off 100 coopun.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I'm driving to Salem tomorrow and I plan on picking up some of the military loads that Out doors Marksman advertises on their web site while I'm in the area. I'll let you know what it's like after my next trip to the range. They rate it at 1030 fps., it's made by Wolf so I'm sure it was choreographed out of a Russian Makarov, what the heck it's just range ammo for now and at that price I can't afford to pass it up. While I'm there I'll ask about S&B 9x18 for steve98664 and the 38spl. reloads for nicksterdemus, I will also try to get some shipping costs for you also.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 25th, 2007, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve98664

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks Gunny!

I went to the Vancouver gunshow yesterday. It was about 1/2 as big as the rose city gunshows in Portland. Not a lot of organized dealers like Portland, mostly smaller sellers. I thought this would mean better prices, but it did not! I saw an obvious recently purchased P-1 surplus (not P-38 and a rework mark on it) for $800! Poorer condition Bulgarian Mak with the safety devoid of any coloring (bare) and deep wear marks to the metal all over but worst on the muzzle for $229. A used Baikal Mak $350! I was surprised by the asking prices. I didn't barter at all since nothing I saw appealed.

There were some great dealers there with well priced items, just not things I was looking for. Not a single P-64. Sellers were even more friendly than Portland!

Anyhow, I picked up some wolf military ammo in the camo boxes. I got 4 boxes and it ran me less than 28. He did not have any other reasonable Mak ammo with him. He did say their shop is right off of the freeway in salem. They had 5 boxes of the camo stuff with them, but one box was kinda ripped up so I passed on it. They are always a friendly seller!

I forgot to ask about S&B at their store! I'm not sure if he would have known.... He brought a lot of ammo! I'm pretty sure they had the 38 special reloads at the show. Can't remember exactly and they had several types of reloaded ammo. I do remember the 9mm FMJ which was 119, I think for 1000. They usually bring more reloaded types of ammo to the portland show.
Last edited by steve98664 on February 25th, 2007, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Just returned from Salem where I was able to pick up some Wolf military classic ammo from OMC. The place is hard to find, tucked half a block off of 19th. street behind other buildings. I asked about Sellier & Bellot ammo and the fellow behind the counter said they haven't been able to get any for a little over a year now.
I also asked about the 38sp. reloads, he said that they are out of the large 250 round tins for now but will be getting more soon. It was a little discouraging to hear that they are having trouble getting 9X18 ammo in the size lots that they would like and that it is getting harder to find in general. I asked if he would bring more to the next gun show in Portland and he said he would. I know that they have at least sixteen more box's of the military classic on hand if your interested. Also he told me that if when you are on their web site you can figure the cost of shipping by entering the number of item you are considering purchasing then go straight to the section that ask for your zip code and enter. He said that way you can figure shipping without setting up an account. I'll let you know how the ammo works next Monday, that is the soonest that I can get to the range.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Hay Steve, I was just at the AIM web site and noted that they are advertising S&B ammo for $3.50 per 24 round sleeve. That works out to $7.50 for 48 rounds and that is about the cheepest that I have seen in a long while. .........................G.R.
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by bzinggg »

That is truly surplus. You need to take note, in case you are used to Sellier & Bellot having a brass case and being reloadable, that the lot that AIM is advertising is steel cased and not reloadable. The new Silver Bear FMJ advertised on the same page will most likely have better velocity and accuracy, for a lower price.
steve98664

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks Gunney! I have been meaning to get some. S&B brass commercial is some of my favorite ammo. I have not tried the surplus steel cased yet. I need to order some from AIM. AIM is one of my favorite online vendors. I have bought 1 pistol and a lot of ammo from them!
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9mm Makarov ammo source.

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Sorry Steve, I totally missed that it was steel cased ammo., I"ll still keep my eyes open for the brass cased stuff for you.
P.S.
Bzinggg, thanks for the heads up about the steel cased ammo. at the web site, I'll pay closer attention in the future.
Thanks again..................... G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on February 28th, 2007, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.