Ammo mix up?

Info, pictures, advice...
Moid62

Ammo mix up?

Post by Moid62 »

I'm new to the forum; my first P64 is currently on layaway at my local Gander Mountain awaiting further discretionary funds....

In the meantime I was looking at available ammo on Cheaper Than Dirt when I came across this review:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/73134-5.html#Reviews

I quote:

Reviewer: Rob

I purchased these rounds for home protection. Luckily, I tested loading a round first. Unfortunately, it jammed in the gun. I have a Springfield XD9 that's an awesome gun and never has any issues, until I tried one of these horrid rounds in it. I cannot do anything but take to a gunsmith to get the jammed round out of the gun. All I can say is stay away from this crappy ammo.

Since CTD won't let you post a review of a product you haven't purchased, he most definitely tried to feed 9x18 Mak through a 9x19 pistol. I sent a message to CTD's customer service pointing out the review. It'll be interesting to see if they respond.
DoubleTap

Re: Ammo mix up?

Post by DoubleTap »

Oh what's one little millimeter gonna do? :roll:

Hope they fix it. I can't speak for the product itself (haven't used it), but it sure didn't deserved that review!
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yes they walk among us. :(
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

Hope he has to take it to the gunsmith ...... At least someone will be able to inform the gentleman that it don't eat makrov for lunch .......
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

You'll be surprised what one little millimeter can do, keep using ammo that is not intended for your gun and instead of just having a problem with jaming, you may be paying a visit to the emergency room. A Southern Yank
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

I am stunned that CTD posted a negative review. Mine never have been posted by them.
eclipse57

Post by eclipse57 »

That guy is a total idiot. Deserves whatever the gunsmith charges him.

CTD, they su; ah never mind Mom said if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
peter2011

Post by peter2011 »

Go and get u r ammo @ sportmanguide.com.I just got 250 rds for $61.45. 9x18.With coupon.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

What coupon are ya talking about bro?
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
cuffkey53

Post by cuffkey53 »

All i can say is wow. I can not believe that he would try somthing like this. The ammo is not the problem . it is the operator I am glad to see he was not injured I guess lesson learned .
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I'm thinking this guy didn't learn a thing if he posted that review.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Moid62

Post by Moid62 »

I know that the Soviets specifically designed the Makarov cartridge to be incompatible with Parabellum weapons, but it looks like they took this a step further. I was just comparing the cartridge diameters:

9x18 9x19
Bullet Diameter 9.22 9.01
Neck Diameter 9.91 9.65
Base Diameter 9.95 9.93
Rim Diameter 9.95 9.96

The neck of the Mak is smaller than the base of the Parabellum and since both cartridges have similar tapers it wouldn't take much force to really wedge a Mak cartridge in a Parabellum chamber.

Do you think they did that on purpose to disable the weapons of NATO troops?

Or, maybe they wanted to make sure that their own soldiers would not jam their weapons if they tried to load the NATO cartridges by mistake.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Funny, that review has disappeared from the CTD site & the product says that it's out of stock & can't be back-ordered. Curious.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

Moid62 wrote:I know that the Soviets specifically designed the Makarov cartridge to be incompatible with Parabellum weapons, but it looks like they took this a step further. I was just comparing the cartridge diameters:

9x18 9x19
Bullet Diameter 9.22 9.01
Neck Diameter 9.91 9.65
Base Diameter 9.95 9.93
Rim Diameter 9.95 9.96

The neck of the Mak is smaller than the base of the Parabellum and since both cartridges have similar tapers it wouldn't take much force to really wedge a Mak cartridge in a Parabellum chamber.

Do you think they did that on purpose to disable the weapons of NATO troops?

Or, maybe they wanted to make sure that their own soldiers would not jam their weapons if they tried to load the NATO cartridges by mistake.
This is true. I was reading these posts and wondered if anyone would pick up on the fact that the Makarov bullet is about .02 thousands of an inch larger than the 9x19's bullet is. Not to mention the case length is 1mm shorter. Good post. :hi:
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Huff

Post by Huff »

In defense of CTD they most certainly do post negative reviews. I have never given them one becauseI have never had a reason.
I read some very bad and incorrect reviews of the 92 grain Mak ammo they sell which I have used for years with no problems.
It is not hard to see thru some of these reviews as operator error.
Does this mean I should not shoot 9 x 18 in my P1? ( jus kiddin )
huff