trigger guard

Info, pictures, advice...
Frank Mucciolo

trigger guard

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

On my "spit fire," I'm having one little problem, the trigger guard for right handed shooter, when I am holding the weapon in a firing position and commence firing, I'm getting a bruise on my index finger from it rubbing on the trigger guard. Do you think it a good idea to maybe file it down a bit? yeah, I know, I could also remove the finger or wear gloves, but it would look funny in the summer, and where I live, the summer's are extremely "HOT," What say you juniustaylor.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: trigger guard

Post by juniustaylor »

That sounds like an interesting problem. Are you talking about your free hand is having the problem? When I'm shooting, my free hand is on the gun kind of in a weaver stance. The index finger on my free hand is then in front of the trigger guard. Could you further explain which hand your index finger is on that is getting bruised? Are you left handed?
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

Hey, maybe I don't know where my index finger is any more, I'm right handed and I just realized that I use my index finger for pulling the trigger, so it's the next finger after the index finger that is getting the brusing right underneath the trigger guard. Just like to know if filing the trigger guard would weaken it any. Any how on another note, every one wants' to know how they carry there P-64, loaded, unloaded, ect, etc., I had said that I carry it with six in the mag and one in the chamber with the safety off, and since the trigger pull is a bit tough, just cock the hammer, & fire away. I really like this sight, there are a lot of smart people out there and there help is great, had some question's answered that I didn't even have to ask, because there are so many of us there with the same problem's. All I can say, is thanks for the input. Frank
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That seems like an odd place to get bruising on the middle finger. I suppose as long as you weren't filing right under the hinge pin. If it were a bit forward or behind the hinge pin you may be okay. I've never experienced bruising on my middle finger, nor any tenderness after shooting mine repeatedly. However, everyone's hands are different. I have weird hands, short fingers in my opinion. Ha! I know it may be dumb and may not last, but you could try a small strip of moleskin where you think the trouble area is on the trigger guard. It costs about $2-3 and you can buy it at Walgreens, Walmart, etc. Usually there are around 3 3"x4" sheets in the package. Last option is keep shooting it and your finger will probably form a callus there. I'd look into a couple less destructive things before filing but if nothing works, then it may be necessary. I'm sorry I'm not much help on this one.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I carry mine with 6+1 and sometimes in an IWB and other times on my ankle. Both holsters were handmade by myself. The IWB isn't much to talk about, it's just a suede cheapo looking thing. The ankle I spent a bit more time figuring out how I'd do it. I made it fit the P-64 and a small Phoenix Arms HP22 .22 pistol so I could carry either one. I leave mine with safety off. I did some fiddling in the other room when I was looking at this trigger guard situation. If I practiced coming from a draw (safety on), there would be some times that I wouldn't completely get the safety switched to fire which would possibly result in me being dead. It would end up almost to fire, but still holding the disconnector down and leaving the trigger limp. I keep mine on fire so I don't have to deal with it.

If I wasn't clear in my above post, I don't think the trigger guard would be weakened much as long as you weren't right on the hinge pin area. However, I'd say this exact spot is the one possibly causing you trouble. The frame does stick out a tad more at this hinge and you could possibly smooth these legs out and make them fit the profile of the trigger guard more.
old mike

Post by old mike »

I don't know ,Frank. Mine smacks hell out of the front of my second finger. After a few rounds it starts hurting but I think the answer may be finding some way to make the Rear of the grip bigger so the recoil goes to the palm of the hand instead of the web. Just my 2 cents. Mike
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

I don't know Old Mike, maybe where getting to old and the finger's just can't take any more. That is a strange case you have there, I have never heard of that one, I guess you could wear glove's or just wear a one finger glove just for that purpose and it would absorb the shock. A Southern Yank
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I know with my P-64, if I don't get a good grip on the thing, it will beat the crap out of the web between my thumb and index finger. However, if I focus on using my pinky and ring fingers to get a good grip using the small magazine extension, the punishment is a lot less severe. I have found I can also shoot a LOT more accurate this way than just going with a light grip. I don't know if building up the grip would make much difference or not. Maybe someone on here will chime in if that's what they did.
Huff

Post by Huff »

I also get a good grip on the little pistol, I pull down with my support hand to help tame the recoil. What is with the MAK caliber? I get a lot of recoil with my CZ82 also but it is bigger and easier on the hand.
I carry with one in chamber safety off.
huff
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Huff wrote:I also get a good grip on the little pistol, I pull down with my support hand to help tame the recoil. What is with the MAK caliber? I get a lot of recoil with my CZ82 also but it is bigger and easier on the hand.
I think that it's just that it's a cartridge mid-way between a .380ACP and a 9x19 Luger running in a fairly light, simple blow-back gun.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

i bought a grip wrap called a LimbSaver at Cabella for around $12. seems to help out with recoil.
IMAG0054small.jpg
IMAG0054small.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 8974 times
it has a bunch of rubber bumps on the inside back. im assuming the same concept as a recoil pad for a shotgun. 2 cents thrown in.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

My hand are so large that I have to wrap my pinky finger under the butt of the gun. There is no way I can get three fingers on that front strap. I don't seem to get my fingers "beat up" that way and have more room for the two fingers that are on the front strap of the grip.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.