Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Info, pictures, advice...
sharkey

Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Post by sharkey »

Do you carry with the saftey on or off ......
Coming clean from a IWB holster and pushing the saftey off ...... It Hurts
What have you done to help ....... Carrie empty chamber on fire (I do.it's surprising how fast I can come out of holster with the left cambering a round ...... But god it's got a BIG tell ...... anybody with a half brain would know what I was doing ......

Or redesign the saftey lever profile ...... ?
Anybody find a way to push the safety w/out taking your thumb tip off? OK ..... the lower tip .... you know what I am talking about ..... LOL
I have not changed my firing pin spring yet I think that might help ????? but pissing won't change the ocean ether ......
I was thinking about smoothing the sharpe lines down in a dish type safety for the tip of my thumb .....and cleaning up the release area hope that would help first
I got to get rid of the thumb rest grips ...... Too .... But I need to bear arms smoother first ..... To see if I want to keep it my CC
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Post by Curly1 »

I carry with safety on.

My safety has just enough resistance that it doesn't hurt the thumb and in a pressure situation I don't think you will even notice if it does hurt.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I carry mine safety off, one in the chamber, 6 in the magazine. You can do one of three things for your safety. You're going to have to take the safety out one way or the other. Once it's out:
1. You can take a small jewelers file and file the notches where the detent rests in so that it may come out easier when moving the safety between safe and fire.
2. Using a file or dremel, lightly remove the pointed tip from the detent so it is a smidge rounded.
3. Clip a coil or two off at a time from the detent spring and reassemble in the pistol until you achieve the resistance you want.

I would try only one of those items. If you try a combo of them, the safety may be unsafe and move inadvertently since there wouldn't be much resistance. Personally, I removed the pointed tip from the detent. The rounded tip allows it to get out of the diamond shaped notch on fire and safe more easily. Being that you have now shortened the detent, it is basically like you shortened the spring because it requires less effort to move the safety between the two positions.

Firing pin spring won't do anything for you.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
JSandi

Post by JSandi »

I carry safety on chamber loaded...
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

I carry safety off, one in the chamber, with an 18 lb trigger pull I can't see it ever miss firing or accidently firing. As a cop, we were issued weapon's with no safety. In case of an emergency and a need for quickness, who wants' to mess with the safety when it could mean life and death.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I agree with Frank. The DA trigger pull is very stiff even with a 17# mainspring that I have in mine. The one instance of an AD was a feller that the hammer snagged on something (seatbelt?) and caused it to pull the hammer back a short distance then release and it caused the gun to go off. The story is on here, I don't remember all the particulars. I personally think it would be a freak chance that something would catch on a hammer. Possibly easy with a spur hammer but not so much with the rounded hammer. I cut the hammer part off that extends out the slide so mine sits flush. I never have to worry about it snagging.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

Interesting that a call to have your firearm chambered and off safe .... CC'in ...... What holsters do you have ....

Also

It was sugested on another site ...... I smoothed the edges of the detent dimple on the safety, and replaced the factory safety plunger with the more conical part from a Walther PPK.

So thats a thumps up ...... I am thinking of getting the PPK saftey take some of the Knurling? off and dish the lever after I polish the detent up
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

On the subject of grip's, did you know that there is no law emforcement department that will put grip's on a side arm that have a thumb rest or a smooth grip, the reason of cause for the thumb rest is that it will become a problem in a combat situation, oh yeah it is very good for target shooting, but than you have all the time in the world, and if you want to target shoot, than I don't under stand why you would buy a combat weapon, there not for target shooting. As for smooth grip's, check with any law enforcement department and they will tell you, you will not get a good grip on the weapon, control is easily lost, and if your hand's sweat for any reason your in big trouble, you will have no control of your weapon. So, I know that there are some very good looking grip's for sale out there, but I advise to stay away from the smoothies, unless you just want to mount it on the wall. Point it in a safe direction and keep your head down. An old cop.
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

In ref: to the type holster I use for my P-64, it sound's like an old fighter plane, like the P-51, when you pull the trigger, it spit's fire. Any how back to the holster, I use a "Taqua thumb break leather belt holster," I bought it from OPSGEAR.com, price, 52.04 with shipping, there is no way the trigger will ever come in contact with any thing to cause it to be pulled since it is covered by the way the holster is constructed. As your pulling your weapon from the holster by the grip and as it clear's the holster, than and only than will your finger insert inside the trigger guard, there is no way it will happen sooner. I bought this holster for two reason's, although there doesn't seem to be many holster's out there for the "spit fire," I bought it based on the PPK, our little "spit fire," is just a little smaller, but it work's well with picking out holster's. A belt holster, because, I am prone to this type because of my service with the police and I just can't get use to any thing else. Remember, keep your head down.
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

Frank I hear ya and there is somebody out there that makes "flat side" OEM for 28 clams
p64-1973

Post by p64-1973 »

I carry mine with one in the tube, and the safety on. I practice drawing, pistol unloaded of course, and flicking that safety off enough that it is relatively smooth and does not hurt. I keep one in the chamber and safety on because thats how the gun was made to function. BTW, I carry it in a Galco IWB holster with the top strap that snaps shut.
Those who beat their weapons into plows will do nothing, but till the soil for those who do not.
Frank Mucciolo

Post by Frank Mucciolo »

Sharkey, where can I pick up this holster your talking about, I'm interested. Frank
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:The one instance of an AD was a feller that the hammer snagged on something (seatbelt?) and caused it to pull the hammer back a short distance then release and it caused the gun to go off. The story is on here, I don't remember all the particulars.
Wasn't there also a gent who said he had an AD when he dropped his P64 on the hammer with the safety off?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:The one instance of an AD was a feller that the hammer snagged on something (seatbelt?) and caused it to pull the hammer back a short distance then release and it caused the gun to go off. The story is on here, I don't remember all the particulars.
Here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
irishbob979

Post by irishbob979 »

A safety in the ON position is a "safety". In the OFF position it's a "shoot myself in the leg" lever. Just sayin'.