Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Info, pictures, advice...
Donzi

Re: Saftey ON or OFF ..... CC'in

Post by Donzi »

I don't carry mine, but if I did I guess I'd have to do so w/the safety off, since I'm a lefty. That's one of the reasons I don't carry it. I did ease the operation of my safety a lot by removing about 1 3/4 coils from the bottom end. HTH.
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

I pratice unloaded like was sugested but my safety is really stiff ...... One step at a time I think I am going to radius and polish the detent area like was suggested first ....

Frank I was talking about flat sided grips ...... Sorry I am not good at expaining things
http://www.vintagegungrips.net/ao-f23.html
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Kirk, you are correct. The feller was putting it back in his safe and dropped it. He supposes it fell on the hammer and his safety was off.

Link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3942
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Squeezer

Post by Squeezer »

I carry with 1 in the chamber with the double action trigger engaged. even with the wolf springs its still quite a pull to get it to fire.
MakAttack

Post by MakAttack »

There's been at least two P-64 ADs (close calls at that) reported on this forum that the safety most certainly would have prevented. Safety on for me.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

MakAttack wrote:There's been at least two P-64 ADs (close calls at that) reported on this forum that the safety most certainly would have prevented. Safety on for me.
While I am still unsure of what happened to me, seems the opposite has occurred. Accidental Discharge with one in the chamber while moving safety from safe to fire, then start pulling back hammer and it went off (not touching trigger). Another poster mentioned something similar happened to him, and his was repeatable. More than likely caused by something worn or sticking, although spotless and worn parts replaced here, but must have missed something. This has now caused me to leave safety off, since never any issues when used that way. Just seems that the simpler it is, the better it works, and less chance of stuff going wrong.
sharkey

Post by sharkey »

Ok I disassembled the safety,fireing pin (watch out for the the spring that keeps the fire pin down behind the block till the trigger is pulled,I wonder if thats the problem with some AD's,with that spring missing I could see where it might happen) dent,detent spring the ejector pin....... Well guess what I found ...... Ear wax build up in the detent spring it was jam packed ....... I am guessing cosmoline ..... The safety no move a whole lot better ...... Thanks for the guidance .....
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.
Huff

Post by Huff »

One in chamber safety off for me.
huff
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

one in the chamber, safety on. makes me feel safe, ya know.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Safety off, empty chamber, 6 rounds in the mag, in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Spare 6 round mag in the other pocket.

Dwight
tbkillen

Post by tbkillen »

The safety lever on my pistol has 2 positions. One is fully engaged (no red dot showing) which disengages the trigger and de-cocks the hammer. Then there's a 1/2 position (red dot shows) which just disengages the trigger but doesn't de-cock the hammer. I keep the safety in this position with a round in the chamber. That way I don't have to cock the hammer or manage the heavy DA trigger pull to fire. I can draw the pistol. Flip the safety off (to engage the trigger) and fire. I don't see anyone else mentioning this technique. Does anyone else's pistol do this?
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

tbkillen wrote:... Does anyone else's pistol do this?
Mine sure doesn't. Only two positions for my safety/decocker; full on (covers the red dot) and full off (red dot showing). I'd be really suspicious that you have a burr or a ding in the detent action of your safety, and I would not trust the intermediate position you've described.

Probably a good idea for you to take the pistol down and see what's going on with the safety.

Dwight
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 on what Dwight recommended. Mines doesn't do it either.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

yes, mine does. Not sure how safe it really is as it can be slid up easy. 1972 model.
jonbw

Post by jonbw »

Forgot to add that it is not a position I would trust or use.