Think I made a huge mistake.

Info, pictures, advice...
gh0ul

Think I made a huge mistake.

Post by gh0ul »

I found a cool little pawn shop the other day with a very nice eclectic handgun\gun selection. I'm on a budget, and looking for a personal protection carry along(I do have my carry concealed). and the p-64 caught my eye right away. Felt good in the hand, Open the slide a few times, comes with 2 mags, and the price was $199.00/ Perfect. The ammo bothered me. I'd never heard of 9X18 so was afraid it was hard to get. Well.. It isn't. I thought about it all night, but could not recall the name so didn't do any research. Then this morning...... i went straight to the shop, and bought it. I didn't get any ammo, because at the moment am living paycheck to check. and even though I can fire my .22 rifle all day long, but a gun like that, would have the cops called, even though I live way beyond city limit s We have these older neighbors across the pond that will call them in a heart beat. They never give me trouble. It's just a hassle. So I dint get any rounds today.

Okay... I thought the gun was broken, malfunctioning and extremely dangerous. Remember at this point and still now I know very little about it, I'm just starting to learn.

I noticed that :

#1 If you put the gun on safe, cock it as to load a round into the chamber, when I go to flip the safety from off to on, the hammer will fire on it's own as soon as it gets on the red button. Also sometimes a tiny bit of the barrel will be sticking out and if you touch the safety it fires. IS THIS RIGHT?

Was it only displaying this behavior because of now ammo being loaded, or is it broken and had I had a round in the chamber would it have went off as I flipped over to fire?

I took it back, and the guy behind the counter was perplexed as well... He thought it was broken, wanted to have they'ere gun smith look at it and he's already 2 weeks behind.... Jeez. Did I freak out , act to fast and return a gun that was working right?

I'm sure I can still by it, if it's functioning right, but they had NOTHING else for 199 I wanted.... so I left...

Any help greatly apreciated.

dCroft( aka gh0ul)
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Think I made a huge mistake.

Post by juniustaylor »

I don't know if I quite understand your procedure here.

If you have the safety set to FIRE (red dot showing) and cock the hammer, the hammer will remain cocked until the trigger is pulled. However, if you move the safety to SAFE (flip the lever down) the hammer will fall on its own. This pistol has a safety operated decocker. The gun assumes that if you want to put it on safe, the hammer falls since it doesn't need to remain cocked.

About the loaded chamber. If a round is inserted in the chamber, the muzzle of the gun WILL protrude just a tiny bit. The mouth of the case butts against the inside edge where the chamber and rifling meet. This is what causes the slide to be barely retracted.

You say you are touching the safety and it will fire. Do you mean you are just touching the safety with your finger or are you actually moving the safety from FIRE to SAFE? If you are just touching it and it goes off, something is wrong with your disconnector. If you are moving it from FIRE to SAFE and the hammer falls but the gun doesn't go off, then it is normal operation.

Just wondered if you could expand on this process a bit more! Welcome!!!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

I see a view have viewed, but no responses? I can't find anyone else with this same peoblem yet... Does anyone out there know if moving the safety from safe to fire willl cause the hammer to fire? Remember I haven't put ammo in the gun yet.

Is it broken but with an easy fix? Any input from someone who know whee I'm coming from would be helpful. Hell somebody just take all the ammo out your mag, Cock the gun with safe up, pop in the mag, then move the safety down. Let me know if this causes your gun to fire.......

Thank you.... that's the best way to diagnose if this is a problem......
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

Thanks for the response.......

um when it's in the position of say the barrell protruding, any movement of the saftey will still cause the gun to fire. It;s like, no matter what, If the hammer is back, and you move the savety from up to down, the gun fires.
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

The hammer falls no matter what if coccked and the safety is MOVED. But if there was a round in the chamber wouldn't that cause it to fire just from moving the safety? Which is what scared the hell out of me and I returned it. As I said before. I have not put ammo in the gun or fired it yet.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

UNLOADED CHAMBER:

LOADED CHAMBER:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

What you are describing sounds like normal operation.

If the safety lever is up and the lever is pointed toward the muzzle the gun is on FIRE. That is why you see the red dot, it means FIRE. When you move the lever down so that it will cover the red dot, the hammer will fall. That is how the gun works. You are moving it from FIRE to SAFE so the hammer drops and hits a ledge that is on the safety. Let me take a couple pics and possibly make a short video. Give me just a second.
Last edited by juniustaylor on April 5th, 2012, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

exactly, You can simulate that without ammo but the rifle protrudes a bit farther. Have you ever heard of this or is it because the gun has not sensed ammo that the safety lever makes it fire? As I asked before.... If someone could unload thee's and cock it, then turn the safety and see is \f it fires... Then I'll know its prob no big deal.
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

oh really?! Damn!!! I knew i acted to fast..... WHen you move that safety that hammer slams down..... looked to me like it would fire the ram, but what you said makes sense. Maybe thats why the trigger pull is hard, because you have to re pull it back as you squeeze the trigger to fire that gun, right? Is the the reason for all the play?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

If the red dot is showing and the hammer is not cocked. You can pull the trigger and the hammer will start to come back on its own while you are pulling the trigger. It will eventually come to a break-over point and will fall to strike the firing pin. This is double action trigger pull. 2 operations are happening, you are pulling the trigger and the hammer is coming back. Single action trigger pull is when the hammer is already cocked and you only have to pull the trigger to make it fall. Double action trigger pull is long and heavy. Single action with this gun has a small amount of take-up then it is extremely light.

I am currently uploading a video to YouTube. Should have it on here in just a couple minutes if you can hang with me.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

You will notice one thing immediately. My hammer is neither round nor triangle in shape. I bobbed mine so that it sits in the slide and is not exposed. That is why it will look different. Sometimes when I was going to say "safe" I said "safety".

gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

Ahhhhhhhhhh........ You can tell I'm new to handguns ....... Wow true colors and all! But now I know the name for it. If I had known that I'd have not taken it back. Apparently he didnt know it was dbl action either. He was thinking the same as i was.....

Thank you so, so very much and i think I can still get it. They are some really easy to eal with folk. Thanks again juniustaylor!
gh0ul

Post by gh0ul »

Wow..... it's as if you made thath for me I have to send that link to the owner so he will be informed as well! This makes me feel so better/stupid/over spontaneous/etc. Thank you so much!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

It would be wise to maybe see if you can get into a handgun safety course. Maybe someone at the gunstore could show you some stuff or refer you to an individual to show you some basics. That would be my best suggestion to you. Are you familiar with rifles and shotguns or are you new to guns in general? I'd rather see you get some information first on handling and operation.

I hope my video was helpful... and you are VERY WELCOME!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

PICTURES!!!

Gun on FIRE (Hammer cocked):

Gun on SAFE:

Safety and Firing Pin (on FIRE):

Moving Safety to SAFE: (Notice the legs moving up to block the firing pin)

At this point the hammer would be about to fall to decock. The legs of the safety completely block the firing pin from being struck by the hammer:

Sorry for so many pictures, but they make the story easier to tell.