new owner with a question

Info, pictures, advice...
crazy

Post by crazy »

First off ..great site !!new owner of a 1974 dated p-64.and a question on ammo ,,i've got a box of the original norinco fmj rounds a buddy of mine gave me..my question is any feed problems with other types of ammo? i kinda figure it was designed for fmj's but is there any jhp's or other types of ammo available that feed dependably?/thanks for a great and informitive site,,
just call me crazy ;D
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I've heard many people report lots of misfires with the Wolf brand ammo. Most people including myself have not had trouble with hollow point rounds. There is a post on here somewhere that explains how someone polished their feed ramp to get sticking hollow points to feed, They said there was a slight ridge that needed honing down and that solved their problem. That must be sorta rare however cause most P - 64 owners report that they feed most everything with the exception of the Wolf brand that is. I have used mostly the common Silver Bear 94 grain FMJ and JHP rounds. They are cheap as any and always feed for me.
crazy

Post by crazy »

thanks for the heads up!!i'm starting to wonder ..this box of norinco is early green box with the copper washed steel case..i know there non reloadable but does anyone know what grain bullet they might have?... there not marked .. ???
thanks again
crazy
vermonter

Post by vermonter »

The Norinco is a good bullet weight (93 Gr). It is a good idea to shoot 93-95 Grain until Wolff Gunsprings develop a heavier recoil spring for the P-64
crazy

Post by crazy »

thanks vermonter..thats what i was wandering,,the price was right on the ammo ..and i just got the p-64 today and wanted totry it out but didn't know if the ammo was to hot for it
crazy
crazy

Post by crazy »

this is my new arrival http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1 ... 64mak1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1 ... jpg,,still haven't figured out the image posting yet
crazy
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

crazy
looks like another nice one
injoy it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

crazy

Nice pistol & you got a great deal on it, too. Glad to see you gunboards guys over here too! I use 94 gr Silver Bear HP and it works well in my 67 & 70 CZAKs as well as all my other 9x18 pushers. I just bought a SMC-918, extra mags and 960 rounds from legion 3 on gunboards, mostly PS Grand FMJ from Slovakia, some Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ and Winchester 95 gr FMJ and haven't tried any of it yet.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

crazy,

I personally don't use anything but 93gr-95gr FMJ's in my P-64's, but that is not to say you shouldn't or can't, but different JHP rounds that I have experienced don't expand that much out of my P-64's, however, the JHP's I did send down the tube's in my P-64's did feed well. I won't go into why JHP's don't expand well from the P-64 because I feel it is highly subjective, however, I have found that generally speaking most of the 93gr-95gr FMJ's penetrate adequately for self defense purpose's as where the JHP did not. Now the 9x18 JHP's out of my Makarov's do expand better with a little more penetration than the P-64, but for me even with the Makarov I still use FMJ. Generally, all military pistols are made to use FMJ because of the Geneva Convention, however, most can handle JHP. Call me old fashioned, or hard headed, but those are my thoughts.

For me I personally use Sellier & Bellot, Silver Bear, Mesko when I can find it, and Georgia Arms, again, all in the 93gr-95gr FMJ range, and I use different brands for different purpose's. In my CCW P-64 I use either Sellier & Bellot or Mesko because I have fired over 1,000 rds each in all three of my P-64's with both brands and I feel comfortable using them for that purpose. So, my suggestion would be to find a reliable brand and type that you are confident with and stick to it using the parameters of your situations. There are several other good brands out there that I didn't mention, however, for me they were either not reliable or were cost prohibitive for my situations.

JMTCW,

Papabear
POINT SHOOTER
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

If you want to carry a HP, then put that one in the tube and the other six FMJ in the mag. Then you know for sur it will feed.
crazy

Post by crazy »

thanks all for the great info on the ammo,,
just call me crazy ;D
nicksterdemus

Post by nicksterdemus »

This is neither a yea nor a nay but I shot 54 rounds of Wolf 100gn Sunday w/no prob......
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

I am a fan of S&B and Mesko also. However, S&B is really expensive now! Here its gone up about 40% over the past 6 months. I prefer to use brass. I have some Mesko left also. Its great ammo. Last range visit, I brought Silver Bear HP ammo and didn't have any issues. I fired about 75 rounds of it since I had brought a partial box too. Silver bear FMJ is great as expected also and it functioned without issue last visit. Mesko has been just as reliable as S&B, ever time I've used it including last range visit. Wolf coneheads didn't work well for me, but others have used them without issues. Mak dot com ran a recommendation on another site against Wolf ammo that is no longer made, but Wolf in general too. I think they are saying lighter loads in a PA-63, but probably mean that for a P64 since they mention both pistols. You all can determine what is meant as well as I can. http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.a ... _ID=147498

Regardless of that post, I'm gonna probably gonna try out the new Wolf in my P64 when it comes out just to see. I think NB mentioned it would be 100g and 120g. I'll probably just try the 100g.

I have seen similar warnings but not as formal for silver bear 120g, silver bear 115g, and brown bear 120g. They were meant specifically for a PA-63.

25 of the 38 pistols were smaller framed pistols, but it is not mentioned what the other pistols were. I'd like to know that too!
mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

still haven't figured out the image posting yet
crazy
In the Post Reply message section insert your URL where your picture is located on the net. Then highlight the URL with the mouse. Look in the section Add Tags (just above your message). In the 2nd row and 4th from the left is a button that looks like a picture. Click it. This will insert the img tags on both ends of the URL so it will post the picture.

himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I just type before and after the URL to the pic..with no space in between...