P64 vs. Walther PPK/S

Info, pictures, advice...
Cooper

P64 vs. Walther PPK/S

Post by Cooper »

A couple of weeks ago I joined this forum after becaming intrested in purchasing a P64 for concealed carry. Currently I have a Glock 19, but it is too big.

I have read many of the forum threads on the P64 and am quite impressed with the favorable comments, though there are some negative ones too. One of the key elements of a Concealed Carry pistol is for it to be reliable and for the most part it does seem that the P64 is reliable, however some people have had accidental discharges and poor feeding with some hollow points. I examined a P64 at Gander Mountain yesterday and thought that the magazine release was in an awkward position, it felt good to hold and was easy to aim. Do others find that the magazine release is a serious problem? I note that one forum member fabricates an aftermarket release with an extenstion so it is easier to release the magazine. Of course new springs from Wolff's is a must.

I have also been considering the Walther PPK/S as an alternative choice, they are the same basic size and the Walther has a better magazine release as well as the ammo is likely to be easier to come by. I am not sure whether there are serious differences between the S&W, Interarms or made in Germany version over the years or if it is just loyalty to what people own.

The question that I was hoping to have answered is, if the two pistols were the same price, which would you buy and use as a concealed carry and why?

Thanks! Cooper
lwb64

Re: P64 vs. Walther PPK/S

Post by lwb64 »

The mag release just takes a bit of getting used too. For me I just turn my firing hand to the right and use my left hand to release the mag and install the full one.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum Cooper.

I have both and would pick the P64 to carry as IMO the round is a little more potent.

When it comes time to sell down my stuff the P64 will be one of the ones to keep.

As far as the mag release the gun fight will probably be over before you need to change mags.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

I don't think the various issues you see come up here on the forum are indicative of anything in particular. That's how it is on every firearm specific forum. Go to the Walther forum and see folks posting various problems they have with their Walthers. Spare parts are probably cheaper and more easily available for the PPK family, however.

I've used the European style heel-release on several firearms and have gotten used to it. Not a problem for me. It could definitely be an issue if you were going to be using it in competition where hundredths/thousandths of a second more or less on mag changes make a difference.

While Makarov ammo is a little bit harder to find in that Wal-Mart doesn't carry any while they do carry .380ACP, I've never been in any decently stocked gunstore that didn't have Makarov ammo. Beyond that, it is easily available for purchase online at prices which are just below that of 9mm Luger ammo. And, there are several decently preforming self-defense loadings available too. So ammo availability shouldn't be an issue in any way.

Though Mak ammo is harder hitting than .380ACP, it's still a little bit less so than 9mm Luger and, to be blunt, it's all handgun ammo anyway. If you want real "man-stoppers" grab your rifle or shotty. For the vast majority of handguns, if you can get adequate penetration from the ammo then it's all about shot placement. :)

Here's a well written article comparing the two: http://www.sportsmanmaps.com/surplusrif ... 4vsppk.pdf

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

The P64 magazine release is not as accessible as the PPK/S. For me that is not an issue. Before purchasing my P64 I was carrying a five shot Model 36 Smith. Now I have two extra rounds. Yes the ammo is a little harder to find but again not a real issue. On line or as pointed out before, most well stocked gun dealer/shops have it.

The biggest negative I have found is that parts are very scarce for the P64. They can however, usually be found on Gun Broker. I bought two guns plus picked up an extra firing pin so I am set to go.

All said and done, I would go with the one that I was more comfortable with. If it is something you aren’t comfortable with you will probably find yourself not using/carrying it.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Everyone, thanks for the thoughtful responses. That was an excellent comparision on the two
(http://www.sportsmanmaps.com/surplusrif ... 4vsppk.pdf). Bottom line, all firearms have their own idiosyncrasies and these two have their own. Further, its all about practice, practice, practice.

Thanks! Cooper
old mike

Post by old mike »

I have both also. I carry the p64 a lot more than the PPK. I like the Mak round a lot.
If I were going to buy just one I'd take the the P64 because you get a whole lot more pistol for $200 than you do for $600
DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap »

One thing's for sure...all my P-64s shoot circles around my PPK! :D
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

My 2 cents... Get your FFL 03 C&R. The P-64 can be shipped to your door. (my "C&R" CZ-82 should arrive Friday) However, you having a Glock 19, perhaps the 26 would be your best bet...staying with the platform you already know. (G26 "baby Glock") The PPK/S is just too "pricey". (380ACP) to boot @ close to 5 bills (7 with the CT Laser). Then again, the Kel-Tec PF-9 is going for $240 @ CTD! (opt for the Parkerized, NOT the blued finish) ö Geez, what else can I say? I owned a G19 and a S&W 659. Loved them both! However, the Glock ruled. Stricker fired DAO, butter smooth trigger.

Oh well. I've done it again. Talked and typed and said a bunch of nothing. :( I'll post pics of the 82 when it arrives from "Classic". If it's a "pig in a poke", I'll amputate my fingers, and drink battery acid. That ought to "shut me up"!
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Mercy, I forgot to add.... 9x18 ammo is more available than you may think! $9.19 per box of 50. Hornady Critical Defense NEW this year! .....and no one cares.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Plenty of places online have the ammo.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Cooper

Post by Cooper »

Again, thanks for all of the comments from your personal experiences. I do have a C&R and since the P64 was placed on the list I have been thinking about getting one. Even more so lately than before. After busting my pelvis a couple of years ago I am reluctant to conceal carry something big and the P64 seems to be what I am looking for. Thanks!

Cooper.
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

have to say i was a bit skeptical about carring the p64. honestly how good can a $200 dollar gun be? right? after shooting a few hundred rounds through it i became obsessed as too how awesome these little guns are. i couldn't believe ive never heard of them before because it was such a solid, accurate, reliable little firearm. i talked my little brother into buying one. he was skeptical as well, but then he fired it. as for ammo. aimsurplus.com was very helpfull when i called(ive never ordered ammo online), and kept me up do date with e-mails about when my order was arriving, etc. they seem to be a good company and very reliable. hope this helps.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

I had fully intended on getting a P-64 first. However, on 2/16/12 I developed a case of "radial nerve palsy" in my right hand (and I AM right-handed) :roll: So I decided on the CZ-82 as it is 100% ambidextrous, as I may have to master left-handed shooting. At least until fully recovered. Then again, it just might be advantageous to be proficient with a hand gun right or left! I will still get a P-64 as my 2nd C&R as I sure do like that gem :D
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Curly1 wrote:Plenty of places online have the ammo.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29
Classic Arms has the LVE (Novosibirsk Low Voltage Equipment Plant) 9x18 for $9.19 per box of 50. I ordered a couple of boxes of them, of course, will ship separate via UPS :| Below is what the box looks like. They describe is as, "HIGH QUALITY RUSSIAN 9X18 AMMO, 92 GRAIN WITH A BI-METAL CASE AND A BI-METAL FULL METAL JACKET, NON CORROSIVE, BERDAN PRIMED."

Another good ammo search is ammoseek.com
http://ammoseek.com/?gun=handgun&cal=84 ... sortby=cpr