New guns!

Info, pictures, advice...
jat428

New guns!

Post by jat428 »

Greetings forum :hi:
Was looking for a few handguns to add to my rifle collection and had been on the fence for a few at classic arms. They were the p64 Radom and the Tokarev. In the course of research this forum made my mind up! Here are some pics of my "new" Tok and Radom. I've got to say I'm really happy with the condition of these guns as they both have very little holster wear and both barrels are in great shape. I have a new hammer spring on order from wolf and two sets of grips on order from ZEE and can't hardly wait til my ammo shows up later next week from aim. I am new to photobucket and this forum so I hope the pics come through. The holster for the p64 is custom made by my talented and generous brother, thanks bro :P

Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New guns!

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the forum bro. You are off to a good start but there are many many more waiting to be had. :)
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

Welcome.

Good idea, to buy both. That way you don't have to decide on one or the other. :lol: Classic are great people to deal with.

I am sure you will like both. There is a lot of knowledge here and helpful people.

By the way, what brand/size holster is that? Looks nice and a good fit.

Enjoy the guns.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
jat428

Post by jat428 »

+1 on classic. I haven't been as lucky with other sight unseen online purchases in the past so was pleasantly surprised. Am real happy with the quality of the guns, I also in the same order picked up one of there type-53 chicoms and considering what it is, is in great shape. The stock was pretty beat up but the barrell and reciever are actually very nice. The stock is in the last stages of refinishing now so it will overall be a pretty sweet rifle. Saw today that Classic has a new batch of cz-82's in stock and so I'm fighting the urge there as well! The holster was made by my younger brother who was kind enough to spend the time making it for me, and yes it has a real nice fit :D I really prefer leather over any other fabric because it doesn't collapse when you remove your weapon and is just better aesthetically, to me anyway. This forum has been a great source of information for me and really helped me decide to give the Radom in particular a try.
jat428

Post by jat428 »

So I finally got my amoo and hit the range today with mixed results. The p64 functioned flawlessly but some disturbing ammo issues. The tokarev was only able to get a few shots off before FTF's. First off the p64 was a pleasure to shoot! A little snappy but real happy with the accuracy, even though this range has poor lighting and could hardly see the sights. The disturbing part is the spent cartridges are bulging out near the primer. A fella next to me speculated that it was either a really hot round or the recoil spring was wore out and blowing back before the round completly burnt. Ideas? I've got a new set of springs on order so I will be able to rule that out soon enough. As for the Tokarev I was only able to get off one or two rounds before failing to feed. I didn't really give it a proper cleaning as I was more interested in my p64 this time out so a thourough cleaning and feedramp polishing is coming. Also the slide lock is not functioning and not holding the slide back. Again, could just be a cosmoline issue but it doesn't seem to have a good notch in the slide for the catch to grab on to. I'm using Prive Patizan ammo from aim for both.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Jat428, I'd like to see pictures of the bulged cases. That's an interesting one.

The slide lock butts against a spot by the bolt face. If you see where the extractor and firing pin hole is, on the right of the firing pin hole (as it's facing you), you'll see a sort of shelf where the slide stop butts against. Insert an empty magazine, pull the slide back, and take a look at how it works.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
jat428

Post by jat428 »

I had a couple set aside for pics and when I got home I can't for the life of me find them. I'm sure I'll be back at the range soon and I'll be sure to throw a couple in my pocket for pics. As far as the slide lock I was refering to the Tokarev which has an external manual slide lock. I should be able to slide it back and push the lever up and lock it into the notch on the slide, right? These are my fist handguns so I'm learning as I go thanks for any advice
jat428

Post by jat428 »

I read on another post here that the felt recoil seemed sharper with the Privi ammo vs silver bear which lends a little truth to maybe being a hotter round. IDK but I sure don't want a face full of brass!
jat428

Post by jat428 »

alright I feel a little stupid right now! I know now that you must have an empty mag in order to lock the slide back on the Tokarev. I thought the lever would hold it open without a mag installed. I did a thorough cleaning today and even though the gun appeared to be pretty clean when I got it it was actually really gummed up. Everything seems much smoother now. With the clean gun, clean mags, and polished feed ramps I think it will shoot just fine now. I might return to the range tomorrow morning and find out.
jat428

Post by jat428 »

So I made it back to the range and brought a shell case back with a bulge from what appears to be the feed ramp. This is PPU ammo from aim shot from my P64

On a side note I received my spring kit from wolf and got the three springs installed without an issue. I can now DA pull with my left hand! Can't wait to get back to the range.
Lastly, I had the same feed issues again with my Tokarev after cleaning and polishing the feed ramp. I took it to a freinds and did a reliability prep on it and got it really moving smoothly but was still having trouble cycling ammo. He suggested that my magizines had fairly weak springs and that could be the source. I have six magazines for it so I took the ugliest one and did a strecth number on the spring and sure enough it cycles ammo without a hitch. Another order to wolf springs and back in the waiting game for an entire spring kit as well as new springs for all mags.
RLT0110

Post by RLT0110 »

wow that is a scary lookin casing... keep us up to date, i was literally just going to order some ppu in like 5 minutes lol, not so much anymore.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

The bulge in your brass could be from a unsupported chamber. It is possible that some one removed too much metal from the ramp and chamber be for you purchased the p64?
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

I have seen other posts showing similar, and the only common thing was it was only when using PPU. Perhaps there was a bad batch of it made that is still floating around?

The P64 does not have a fully supported chamber. No problem though, since it does not have the pressure of guns that are known to have "bulge" issues. Unless of course the round is made wrong, such as overcharged, etc.
jat428

Post by jat428 »

It just seems to be the PPU ammo being loaded really hot. I ordered some of the russian makarov ammo from Classic arms (alot cheaper btw) and not one bulged case. The recoil is much less with this ammo vs the PPU, comparible to my daily carry Hornady CD. On a side note I've installed my wolf spring kit (thanks forum for the info on leveling off the spring ends) and am loving the 17lb light trigger! Also I figured out what was causing the FTF's on my Tokarev. After a full spring job and feed ramp polishing was still having the problem. I sat and chambered a round over and over looking very closely and noticed the problem. The hammer assembley sits right on top of the frame and has two guides that help line up the round into the chamber and one side was pushing the round over to one side just barely. There was heavy machining marks and looked fairly ruff. I used a small file and removed the machining marks and followed up with some 1000 grit sand paper and walla-no more feed issues!!! For under five hundred I now have two very accurate, very fun to shoot, and beautiful old classic handguns. Couldn't be happier with my purchase