Reloading Converted 9x19 Brass Question

Info, pictures, advice...
WarLord

Reloading Converted 9x19 Brass Question

Post by WarLord »

This is a question I asked in another post regarding Makarov ammo.

The question I have is regarding converting 9x19 Luger brass.

What would happen if someone picked up your converted brass and didn't notice the shorter length/slightly larger diamater. I don't think I would, it says 9mm luger.

So, now you resize/de-prime using the 9x19 dies. You still probably wouldn't notice the different size/length. Then you reload, using your 9x19 seating die. You would still get the proper O.A.L. however little or no crimp due to the shorter case.

Now what happens when you shoot this ammo in your 9x19 Luger?

Does this sound like it could happen?

I just don't want to cause someone else problems with my converted brass.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
RobsTV

Re: Reloading Converted 9x19 Brass Question

Post by RobsTV »

While I have not tried it, I read that due to the 9x18's larger diameter, the fired 9x18 brass will not go into a 9x19 sizing die without a fight (.365+ vs .355).

If that does not happen, the next step of expanding would not flare mouth enough with the reduced depth of the 9x18, which should set off some "more inspection needed" for those used to loading 9x19's.

If you are concerned about others shooting the brass, mark it with a sharpie or something, then at least they will know that it is different simply by having a mark, and they might inspect if more carefully. But it really should be no concern of yours. Reloaders use pickup brass at their own risk. Think of it as people picking up and using your garbage or trash.
stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 »

As said, in the reloading process there would be a couple of red flags because something just "ain't right" when you're doing the motions.

I've been reloading for only about 6 months, but you get very attuned to the feeling of the reload - if you resize too easily, check for a split case, etc. You just notice something is weird, stop, and assess.

Get a cheap box of crayons and color the case stampings a weird florescent color. And/Or write MAK on the brass with a sharpie, if you're concerned and want to be considerate :)
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

Doh - I read threads from the bottom of my screen to the top - so I answered your question in the other thread.

Short answer here -- it is the responsibility of the reloader to verify that EVERYTHING about the ammo they are creating is correct. If they can't/don't accept that responsibility, they should not be reloading ammo.

Dwight
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I used carbide dies and resizing a Mak case in my Luger die wouldn't feel any different. I have done it. Somehow I had some mixed in with my Luger brass. When I got to the part to seat the bullet and had done so, I noticed immediately that the loaded round did not look right. Sure enough, I measured it and it wasn't right. I extracted the bullet and popped the primer and put the case to the side with my other Mak stuff.

IF, it was loaded all the way and then put into a 9mm Luger handgun, the shooter would probably get a rearward blast of powder gas as the mouth of the case wouldn't headspace and seal off the gas.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
WarLord

Post by WarLord »

juniustaylor wrote:I used carbide dies and resizing a Mak case in my Luger die wouldn't feel any different. I have done it. Somehow I had some mixed in with my Luger brass. When I got to the part to seat the bullet and had done so, I noticed immediately that the loaded round did not look right. Sure enough, I measured it and it wasn't right. I extracted the bullet and popped the primer and put the case to the side with my other Mak stuff.

IF, it was loaded all the way and then put into a 9mm Luger handgun, the shooter would probably get a rearward blast of powder gas as the mouth of the case wouldn't headspace and seal off the gas.
This is what I was afraid of. I can see an unexperienced reloader running into problems. Had you not noticed the loaded round did not look right, you might have gotten quite a surprise shooting the Luger.

If I do trim and resize Luger cases I will try and come up with a way to mark the cases. Not only so I can find them easier but also that someone else might reconize them as a Makarov case.
Americal 1970-1971 "We Kill Folks"
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

juniustaylor wrote:I used carbide dies and resizing a Mak case in my Luger die wouldn't feel any different. I have done it. Somehow I had some mixed in with my Luger brass. When I got to the part to seat the bullet and had done so, I noticed immediately that the loaded round did not look right. Sure enough, I measured it and it wasn't right. I extracted the bullet and popped the primer and put the case to the side with my other Mak stuff.

It would headspace off the extractor, as you imply. It would most likely cycle properly. But it can cause accelerated wear in the chamber because the slug will have to jump the gap and will likely bang against the lip some. The extractor will take more of a beating too. There won't be much gas blowback if you're using brass because it is ductile enough to expand and seal.

I've shot 9x19 Luger rounds in my 9mm Largo chambered Astra 400. This is what happens. I also know a gent posting on TheKTOG who shot .380ACP in his Kel-Tec PF9 (after replacing the recoil spring with a lighter one).

No, I wouldn't do it again. Wish I hadn't done it in the first place. I was assured, at the time, that it was fine and, in fact, my Astra 400 was designed to shoot 9mm Largo or, in emergencies, 9x19 Luger, 9x18 Police, 9x18 Ultra, and 9x17 Corto (aka ".380ACP"). Of course, it turns out that this is myth, but it shot fine but less accurately and there were feed problems.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."