A Newcomer with an Opinion

Info, pictures, advice...
KCSO

A Newcomer with an Opinion

Post by KCSO »

Stumbled across this forum while I was looking for parts for a customers gun. I will preface my remarks with a little background...
I am a retired LEO with 40 years in the business with 35 of them spent as a firearms instructor. I currently work as a gunsmith and have done this job part time for over 30 years. I carry concealed every day and have for over 40 years and I have a fair assortment of weapons available at any time. Currently my carry gun when off duty is a CZ82 that replaced my Beretta 84, I also have a CZ83, a Makarov and a Walther available.

Now on the the P64... I will admit that I had no personal interest in this gun prior to ordering some for the shop. I had a customer who was wild to get one so I made a package deal on them. As soon as the guns came in I had to order Wolf springs for my customer and in the process ended up here.

Now I shoot a good deal and have shot just about every gun made from a Roth Styer to a Highpoint but I will admit to being totally amazed by the P64. I took a box stock P64 from the shelf and did a tune up to get it in shape, Wolf Springs polished feed ramp and a white dot on the front sight. I also widened the rear sight to accomadate my ageing eyes. Then I took the little gun to the indoor range and fired it at 20 yards from my padded rest...WOW , I can't believe it! My first group was 1.1" center to center! This was with Privi factory ammo. I took my Beretta down to see if this was a mistake, it wasn't the Beretta (New$600) shot it's usual 3" group and the P64's second group with cast bullets went under 1 1/2".

Now I will admit the recoil with the P64 is heavier than the Beretta but there is also less bulk in the grips and a lot less to hang on to also. It is manageable for an experienced shooter.

These are a darn fine gun for twice the money and I am busy crafting a C/C holster for my new little gem.
fully machined

Re: A Newcomer with an Opinion

Post by fully machined »

That's what I'm talking about. That's what I've been trying to tell ya!!! HECK YA, and I'll bet 100% function too. I posted a picture of a target shooting at 25 feet hand titled, accuracy is there, and said, " the pistol can out shoot me." A lot, lot, lot of reasons to love this pistol-- way cool micoblaster. Welcome.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Smitten! The P-64 is an awesome little pistol and once it bites you you will be forever in love. Nice to hear someone with the "experience and knowledge" you have expounding on the virtues of this pistol. My gunsmith looked at it when it first came in and then at me and said "why?". He is the one who did the machining work for me when I did my sight mods, and he still calls it a "pea thrower" commie piece of sh*t! However he does admit that it is better to have that with you than nothing. :hi: :mrgreen:
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

Thanks for sharing that. Always fun to hear from those with a "in the know" background confirming the accuracy of the P-64.

For awhile, I thought it was my incredible shooting abilities, but now I suspect it's more the gun than me. :lol:
Peace,

Greg
Nakanokalronin

Post by Nakanokalronin »

I agree on the accuracy of these little guns. I recently shot mine again this weekend and the recoil was easily manageable with my grip mods and spring changes. Grip tape on the sides and a Wilson Combat checkered strap on the front. No slippage and no abrasion. Also put in a 20lb recoil spring, 19lb hammer spring and installed the XP firing pin spring that came with it just because.

I used Silver Bear HP and ball ammo plus some S&B ball with zero failures.The P64 fits in a Bianchi 100 made for a PPK quite well and will be my new summer carry piece from now on. :wink: