Buldged Cases

Info, pictures, advice...
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Buldged Cases

Post by Curly1 »

Thanx for the update Cutter, I won't be adding any of this ammo to my inventory.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That's too bad. Looks like you'll just have to do like a lot of us and cut down 9mm Luger brass. It is the only brass I have used since reloading Makarov. I've never bought 9x18 brass. Never experienced a bulged case yet! (knock on wood)
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

juniustaylor wrote:That's too bad. Looks like you'll just have to do like a lot of us and cut down 9mm Luger brass. It is the only brass I have used since reloading Makarov. I've never bought 9x18 brass. Never experienced a bulged case yet! (knock on wood)
I generally cut down Luger brass as well -- but, I did buy 9x18 Starline brass once (got a deal on 500 pieces that I couldn't pass up). I had no problem with it working properly in all my 9x18 pistols.

Dwight
daven

Post by daven »

I have never used cut down 9 x 19, always used either Fiocchi once fired or Starline bought new. By the time I cost my time in cutting down 9 x 19, Starline is a bargain, as I can reload other odd calibres (38 S&W for example) in the time saved. DaveN
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That is the deal that one has to consider. I usually have nothing but spare time on my hands when I get off work. So, if I need to cut down some Luger brass then it's not too big of a deal. However, if someone has their time all booked up, then Starline would be the way to go. I do .38 S&W also. I got mine off Gunbroker. They are unmarked on the case head but are supposed to be Olin manufacture. I ended up with 350 of them, so I usually have all 7 boxes loaded up.

I would have bought Starline but they ticked me off. When I first started .38 S&W a couple years ago, they were OOS. I called them and they said they'd have more in stock in a couple months. A few months went by and they still didn't have any. So, I bought the stuff on Gunbroker and it took them almost 6 months to get the stuff in stock. I was glad I didn't wait.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I was at the range yesterday shooting my P64 and also experienced bulging cases. The gun shoots without any problems. I was using PPU ammunition, 93 grains FMJ, made in Serbia. Not bimetal and brass cases.
Attachments
ppu ammo resize 1.jpg
bulging cases resize 1.jpg
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

That looks horrible. Definitely sounds like really soft brass. Kind of a waste of brass. :(
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I post these two photos to show the difference between the P64 and the CZ82 with a cartridge in the chamber. Obviously, the P64 sticks out much more than the CZ 82
Attachments
CZ82-1 resize crop.jpg
P64-4 resize crop.jpg
fully machined

Post by fully machined »

Does the bulging occure at 6'oclock, the feed ramp area? So what does the brass look like when fired out of a 82? Wow, it is sticking out!!!!
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Can't tell if it bulges at 6'oclock when it ejects. Does not bulge when shot from the CZ-82.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

The ramp area on the P-64 is unsupported and these weak PPU cases are bulging in this area. Steel doesn't have this problem as it's steel. Starline brass doesn't have this problem from what others are saying that use Starline brass and my Luger cut-down brass has never bulged either.
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

No problem with cut down nickel plated 9x19 +P brass.

You can buy the +P nickel "once fired" online cheap, (1000 Winchester +P Luger for $56 shipped at brassman, ready for you to cut to 9x18 size), and being nickel, it is easier to find 20 yards away. Not sure if the +P helps, but it sure doesn't hurt. Looks great too.