New guy with a new (to me) P64.

Info, pictures, advice...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: New guy with a new (to me) P64.

Post by juniustaylor »

Maelstrom wrote:I was hoping to save the brass since I reload but since it ejects them overseas I may be out of luck.
You may consider looking at my idea of a brass catcher and make one for yourself. For all the materials you will spend somewhere around $11. It will be enough to make 3 catchers but you'll only have 2 wrist bands so one catcher will just be a spare.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4590
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

This weekend we were taking video's of my new S&W 500 Magnum, and during a break took some video's of the wife shooting my P-64, (it's "her" gun now, upgrading from a CZ27). In the wide open area, I could see how far the cases went. Around 30 feet in the 5 o'clock area. All landed within a couple feet of each other. This with a 1974 using Wolff 22lb recoil and firing pin springs, and Berry's plated bullets with 3.9gr w231.

I agree with original posters comment about the P-64 having low recoil. After shooting the P-64 now for a few weeks, sometimes more than 100 rounds in a session, the low recoil really surprised me. From the posts here, I thought it was going to be a lot. As seen from above, even the wife enjoys shooting the P-64. Recoil is barely more than CZ27 and less than Hi-Point 40 S&W. Tested both prior and after spring changes, and about the same either way. Also for comparison, the S&W 500 had disappointing recoil as well, with the wife shooting that too. It was loaded light for initial test, with recoil around the same as S&W model 29 .44 magnum shooting factory ammo. The ported compensator must really help the 500. Not body builders. Just a couple average Americans who are both totally out of shape 50 year olds, and have yet to see recoil anything close to what the Internet makes most guns out to be.
Ward223

Post by Ward223 »

I agree...i found and read some.posts on here before I shot my 73 p-64...i was wondering about the recoil but after the first round was fired I was very pleasently suprised!!!! it dont kick!!!! Shoot, ive had several pistols and all of them have more recoil than the p-64!!!!
JSandi

Post by JSandi »

The P-64 recoil is what I would describe as "snappy", its not hard at all.

It compares to my old Kahr PM9.