Carry question

Info, pictures, advice...
Phoenixman

Carry question

Post by Phoenixman »

Hi. I'm new to the forum, got a P-64 a couple of weeks ago. It's my primary carry gun, always carried one-in-the-pipe. Some have said (on another thread) that this is a bad idea. Why?

Info about the gun: It's a 1971 model, has a new recoil spring and a new hammer spring. It was like that when I got it.

Thanks.
PA-Joe

Re: Carry question

Post by PA-Joe »

There is a thread on here regarding various issues with the pistol firing when dropped. Read it.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

If you have the safety on no problem with one in the pipe.

The safety blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin, the next time you have the slide off check it out when you engage the safety.

Now if you do not have the safety on that is a different matter.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Curly is correct about being on safety. He mentioned one reason. It keeps the hammer from hitting the firing pin. The second reason is that when the safety is on SAFE, the firing pin cannot move because it is held in place by a cutout in the safety itself. So, it's impossible for the pin to move forward and strike a primer unless you have a weak firing pin spring, the nub on the firing pin is broken, and the gun is dropped to the ground from a good distance all while the gun is on SAFE.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Nakanokalronin

Post by Nakanokalronin »

+1 to everything above. When it comes to the internet, only one person has to have a problem with a tpye of firearm and all of a sudden, all of guns have issues. From what I read, someone had the safety off, dropped the P64 on it's muzzle and it discharged. Having the safety on would have prevented that. Considering the age of these guns, if you buy and install a XP recoil spring, pop in the firing spring that's included with it as well. It's not just a P64 thing, but any firearm with worn out springs and safety mechanisms that are not implemented properly by the user.