Has anyone refinished their P64?

Info, pictures, advice...
P-220

Has anyone refinished their P64?

Post by P-220 »

Has anyone had their P64 refinished?

I shoot a P-220 with full NP3 finish and I am a fan of this finish. I know, I know, it will cost more to refinish the P64 than I paid for it. Just curious if anyone here has done this, not necessarily NP3, but any non-black finish.

If you have, please share pictures. I am curious how the sights are handled, as they are part of the slide.

Thank you.
Nutnspecial

Re: Has anyone refinished their P64?

Post by Nutnspecial »

P-220 wrote:Has anyone had their P64 refinished?

I shoot a P-220 with full NP3 finish and I am a fan of this finish. I know, I know, it will cost more to refinish the P64 than I paid for it. Just curious if anyone here has done this, not necessarily NP3, but any non-black finish.

If you have, please share pictures. I am curious how the sights are handled, as they are part of the slide.

Thank you.
I think the person who owns this one is on this forum.

I certainaly love the brush chrome as well as the thumb rest on the left grip panel. I believe the cost (brush chrome) is under 2 bills. Check out http://www.elitecustomguns.com/ for full details.

:D
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Check out http://www.elitecustomguns.com/ for full details.
They did mine.

Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

I so want to do this. These guns look beautiful plated.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

I'd like to know if anyone has had theirs sucessfully re-blued &, if so, how much did you pay? TIA, folks.
Donzi
"Jeez, Tommy, don't you believe in anything?
Yeah, I believe in ammo. As much as I can carry."
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Donzi wrote:I'd like to know if anyone has had theirs sucessfully re-blued &, if so, how much did you pay? TIA, folks.

Most people seem to think the P-64s they receive are in pretty good shape, so I doubt that many get reblued. Check out the above link for pricing.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

I tend to agree. Most of the guns received are in really good shape all things being considered. If anything minor touch ups to the bluing may be required. You'll spend what the gun costs in rebluing fees from a smith. Or, you could do it yourself.
If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

[ You'll spend what the gun costs in rebluing fees from a smith. Or, you could do it yourself.[/quote]

I asked about re-bluing not because my P64 is in tatty condition (a very nice 1976 example from AIM w/just a hint of holster wear on the left front slide nose), but because I like it so much that I may have the exterior returned to pristine condition, & I wouldn't consider $200 to be excessive f/a good professional job. I'm also thinking of getting a nice pair of walnut grips. :mrgreen:
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I like shiney with wood grips, makes a nice BBQ gun.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
P-220

Post by P-220 »

I sent it off today for the CP II finish offered by CCR. I should have it back in 4-6 weeks and will post pics. I also have Zebra wood, checkered grips with finger groves coming from Marschal and springs from Wolff.

I hope it comes together nicely.
Gary2112

Post by Gary2112 »

Sounds like it's going to be gorgeous! My quote on the bluing was excessive. I've seen local smiths here charge near that depending on the gun condition. I just got a quote on a near pristine Ruger Single Six .22 mag, and it was $80 bucks. Maybe it's just my particular location, but jes' sayin'. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing progress reports on your build!
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

Gary2112 wrote:Sounds like it's going to be gorgeous! My quote on the bluing was excessive. I've seen local smiths here charge near that depending on the gun condition. I just got a quote on a near pristine Ruger Single Six .22 mag, and it was $80 bucks. Maybe it's just my particular location, but jes' sayin'. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing progress reports on your build!

The Broom Closet in Fla. re-blues guns f/$87(not including any repairs) + shipping to them. They've done 2 guns f/me & both are beautiful; an Astra 900 broomhandle & a P08 Luger. Don't know if they'll do guns as modern as the P64, but I'm gonna find out.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Donzi wrote:
The Broom Closet in Fla. [/quote]

Where are they?
Donzi

Post by Donzi »

They are located in Starke, Fla. & their phone is (904) 964-5053. Their actual name is The Gun Rack, altho they use the name Broom Closet f/shipping purposes (less obviously gun-related). They specialize in Mauser model C96 pistol repair, barrel re-lining & restoration. As I said in the last post I don't know f/sure that they'll re-blue more modern pistols, but my my Astra 900 broomhandle & my P08 Luger look like new. I'd post pix of them, but I'm currently ducking Winter on Mustang Island, Texas & thus don't have access to them. HTH.
Donzi
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Donzi wrote: but my my Astra 900 broomhandle HTH.
Thanks, I'll keep that info. I also have an Astra 900.