What 9x18 is OK for an indoor range?

Info, pictures, advice...
Greg R.

What 9x18 is OK for an indoor range?

Post by Greg R. »

Seems my local indoor range has put the big poo poo on all Wolf and Silver bear ammo. They say too much bi-metal in the Wolf. I suspect there's no money for them collecting non-brass shells from the Silver Bear stuff. They wont make recommendations so what say you guys?

Anyone else have issues from Range masters in this regard?

Hows Sellier & Bellot ammo? I dont reload, so that's not an option for me.

Peace,

Greg
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: What 9x18 is OK for an indoor range?

Post by juniustaylor »

Sellier & Bellot would be fine. Most any commercial ammo with a brass case will have non-magnetic bullets. That indoor range seems like it's run by a bunch of snobs if they can't answer a simple question as to what they will allow to be fired in their indoor range.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

juniustaylor wrote: That indoor range seems like it's run by a bunch of snobs if they can't answer a simple question ...
Agreed. They did offer their overpriced reloads though :roll: .

Thanks Jun.
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

My advice is, if you can, go to another range, I know that may not be an option. It sounds to me that they know your options for ammo is limited, so they are trying to sell you what they have to make money off you and nothing ells. JMHO
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

+1 on changing ranges if that is an option.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

juniustaylor wrote:That indoor range seems like it's run by a bunch of snobs if they can't answer a simple question as to what they will allow to be fired in their indoor range.

The range I go to got renovated and then banned any ammo that sparked. They claimed that sparking could cause a fire with their new baffle. Generally, I think any brass cased ammo seems to be okay -- as someone else has pointed out.
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

How on earth could Wolf and Silver Bear ammo make sparks in there baffles? The bullet is lead with a brass jacket if I remember correctly, only the case is steel. I still think they are just trying to sell you ammo and a high price.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

lwb64, if you look at the Bear line of ammo, you will notice that they say the jacketing of the bullet is bi-metal. Meaning it does have some steel content to the jacketing of the bullet. That is why a magnet will "lightly" stick to the bullet. Sad but true. Any other commercial brands like Fiocchi, American Eagle (Federal), Sellier & Bellot, etc should have regular copper jacketing with no other metals. It is this TINY amount of steel that they get bent out of shape over. Oh well, their range, their rules, good thing there's a choice on whether you go there or find somewhere else.

In the picture below you can see it says 94gr Bimetal FMJ.

These spammers are ticking me off.
lwb64

Post by lwb64 »

Thanks for clearing that up. I use the Silver Bear in my P 64, I guess I never looked that close.
Phoenixman

Post by Phoenixman »

Silver Bear HP's (which if you look up ballistic testing on you tube for it, they function ballistically the same as a FMJ) have no steel. You could use them, and they're currently about the same price as the FMJ.
torpeau

Post by torpeau »

Phoenixman wrote:Silver Bear HP's (which if you look up ballistic testing on you tube for it, they function ballistically the same as a FMJ) have no steel. You could use them, and they're currently about the same price as the FMJ.

My SB HP box says "Bimetal," so it will likely spark like the others and not be allowed at the range I use.
Phoenixman

Post by Phoenixman »

I tested the Silver Bear HP's with a magnet and it did not stick. :mrgreen:
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

My Silver Bear HP's do stick with a magnet. Use one of those magnetic parts trays with a stiff magnet. Stuck to the tip where the hollow point is. Surely they aren't running mixed batches of bullets.
Foo Bird

Post by Foo Bird »

I know of a few indoor ranges here that ONLY allow you to use the ammo they carry and only if you buy from them...which is usually at inflated prices.
Some of the reason is to keep it from blowing thru or accelerating the wear on their bullet stops.
jat428

Post by jat428 »

The range that is closest to me makes you physically open all your ammo boxes to check for brass! One of the guys there didn't sugar coat it and point blank said they just don't want to sort out the bimetal cases