Gun's in the Mail! Need some guidance, help please

Info, pictures, advice...
BruinsFanRI

Gun's in the Mail! Need some guidance, help please

Post by BruinsFanRI »

Good Evening,
I've been lurker around gathering insight for a month now. Long story short, I have a P64 on the way from J&G Sales so I guess my question is how do I properly clean up my new 64? I read some where on here about heating it up a little bit, as well as reading a little about soaking it in mineral oil. Is there a thread somewhere I missed outlining how to properly cleaning my new pistol up? Thanks in advance and I have got to say this forum is great, you all seem helpful and don't bash on inexperienced people (something the internet loves to do!)
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Re: Gun's in the Mail! Need some guidance, help please

Post by Ketchman »

Welcome to the brotherhood. And no bashing here, we love to help those who want to learn. Go here to find out how to strip down your pistol for cleaning.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4200
However, that being said, you may not have to do mush other than basic field stripping and cleaning. Some of these pistols come in great shape and very clean. The big question here is how much experience do you have with any firarms and how to clean them? I guess the best thing would be to troll the site and read a lot of these posts before you do any major takedowns. I would wait until you see what shape your new baby is in before you start making plans on what to do, but a soaking in mineral spirits will get the insides pretty clean, just make sure that after that you get lube in all the spots that need it. And range reports are always welcome.
Close enough for Government work will get you dead, ask any Vet.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And if you have any other needs, these guys are really great at answering questions:
dfunk and juniustaylor.
BruinsFanRI

Post by BruinsFanRI »

Hey thanks for the quick reply guys, I consider myself pretty well versed with firearms, I've been around firearms my whole life and can break down and reassemble without any extra parts! I have and use an otis gun cleaning system with extra brushes and q-tips for all the hard to reach places. I've looked at all the breakdowns and instructional's on here, they are great. My main concern is the first main cleaning when I open that package up. Is it safe to assume that if I mineral oil soak and let that dry out a light lube is all that's required. On a side note, due to trolling I have already ordered wolf springs and can't wait to throw some lead with this bad boy!
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

I believe you should use mineral spirits, not mineral oil.
Ketchman
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Ketchman »

And after you soak it, if you can use compressed air to dry it out it really helps get any really stubborn stuff out. But a light lube should take care of you, thats what I do and I usually don't soak mine in anything unless inspection shows that it needs to be soaked. And make sure the grips are off first!
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

As Ketchman said, use Mineral Spirits... :) Definitely give it a good lookover. You should be able to see any form of residual cosmoline. If it appears all clean then you can probably get away with not soaking it. I bought mine from a Gander Mountain store and it was in good order and did not need soaking. It has never jammed or misfired on me. Good luck!!!
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF
PA-Joe

Post by PA-Joe »

Don't clean the grips or soak the grips in chemicals!
Greg R.

Post by Greg R. »

I cant add much to what has been said; other than like Junioustaylor's expieriance from Gander Mountain, my P-64 from J&G needed very little attention. I dont believe the weapon was ever in cosmoline, - just dipped in oil.

Broke her down and cleaned it anyways. Great way to get aquanted with all the ins and outs.
BruinsFanRI

Post by BruinsFanRI »

Oh sh*t I put oil instead of spirits. All the info is greatly appreciated everyone thanks so much. Hoping to post pics when I get the little bugger in. I generally always field strip and clean my firearms as I get them in just to familiarize myself so the input is helpful. Thanks again and hope to talk shop with you all in the future.