New Radom P-64 owner here!

Info, pictures, advice...
Overlord475

New Radom P-64 owner here!

Post by Overlord475 »

Hey guys!

Went to a local gun show today and stumbled across this Polish Radom P-64.

Picked it up for $165+tax with an included leather holster.

After inspecting and verifying that it was well taken care of and oiled, I took it to the range and put 50 Silver Bear rounds through it. Not a single issue; no jams, misfires, etc... Will def be looking for an improved handle though, as the plastic was pinching in between my point and thumb pretty good.

One question, would putting a 22lb recoil spring on the gun increase or reduce recoil?

Very cool little pistol! And it'll be great for carrying.

Thanks, and hope to be pretty involved in the forum.

Arnold

Re: New Radom P-64 owner here!

Post by Arnold »

I put a set of springs in and they seemed to help, except double action is still way too heavy but i have one in the chamber with safety on and to use i take the safety off and cock the hammer. Very accurate that way.

I also got a pair of custom grips from Shawn (see grip section); very low cost ($22) and i really like the thumb rest. He is slow on deliveries but considering it is a hobby with him, a person has to be patient.

When CA CCW Initiative passes in Nov, i will use the P-64 for carry. It has quite a kick but i like the powerful Russian rounds. If the kick is strong on my end, think about what it is like on the receiving end! I got an IW holster for about $25 configured for a Walther PPK/S, made some minor adjustment so the thumb break fits the P-64. Perfect concealment -- wear it at home all the time.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Nice rig.

Yea I have the 22lb recoil spring aand it is still a bit snappy on the recoil.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
nsnutter

Post by nsnutter »

Congrats on the new purchase! I was ata local gun show yesterday myslef (St. Paul,MN) and saw a nice p-64 there I almost picked up myself lol. I have a set of springs (17# and 22#) on the way from Wolf and from what I've heard they make a world of difference!
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

There are some who say that a heavier recoil spring, when used on Blowback handguns, will actually increase the recoil. The reasoning goes like this: The spring, and only the spring, is what holds the action closed on a Blowback handgun until pressure drops low enough to safely cycle. The heavier a spring, the longer the action is held closed, the higher the pressure is, and the more gasses are vented out the muzzle instead of acting to the rear of the handgun.

There are some physics questions that I, personally, have with this line of reasoning, but it's something to think about anyway.

FWIW, I have put the Wolff "extra power" recoil springs on more than one of my handguns and been satisfied.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

Yeah Kirk I think it is all a matter of perception sometimes so YMMV in these cases.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Stang

Post by Stang »

I put the 22# recoil spring in and it seems to have more kick than before...... just my opinion. If there is any difference it is minimal either way but to me it seems to have done the opposite of what I was expecting. Interesting theory. Thanks
lklawson wrote:There are some who say that a heavier recoil spring, when used on Blowback handguns, will actually increase the recoil. The reasoning goes like this: The spring, and only the spring, is what holds the action closed on a Blowback handgun until pressure drops low enough to safely cycle. The heavier a spring, the longer the action is held closed, the higher the pressure is, and the more gasses are vented out the muzzle instead of acting to the rear of the handgun.

There are some physics questions that I, personally, have with this line of reasoning, but it's something to think about anyway.

FWIW, I have put the Wolff "extra power" recoil springs on more than one of my handguns and been satisfied.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I will have to swap mine back to the stock spring and check it out as I got it already swapped out to 22lb.
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
Nutnspecial

Post by Nutnspecial »

Nice find! I'm saving up and waiting on my C&R and hope to find one in mint un-fired condition.... or a crappy looking one with lots of blue wear and have it finished in hard chrome. :D
RJR573

Post by RJR573 »

Hello Overlord.

You did well on your purchase.

My friend bought one for 150.00 + shipping at J&G Sales ( one mag and no holster ) I bought mine for 180.00 + shipping from AIM Surplus with two mags and original leather holster.

The one from J&G was listed as very good condition and is not as good of condition as mine is which AIM has listed as excellent.

I have two ideas on the recoil spring. A stiffer spring should make the gun push back harder on your hand since it takes more to compress it. A lighter spring lets the slide move easier but also lets it impact the frame harder which may be what gives the sharp jolt we feel. Hard to say which is worse.

I plan to try a heavier recoil spring some day so then I will know for sure.

Who else has tried different springs already and what have you felt ??
My wife calls me Leonard... If you've seen "Full Metal Jacket" you may understand.