Light Makarov load

Info, pictures, advice...
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

Thank you NORM ! I assume it is best to toss out any that i have the strong crimping on?
i had a few that when i pulled the Lee lever down to make the crimp, looks as though it mashed the mouth into the sides of the bullet creating a very tight look to it. I have not had a chance to go out to try any of them yet. I enjoy my new hobby of reloading , and i'd prefer my health stays in tact . lol

"unknowns" are not a good thing in this endeavor obviously ! understatement of the year.

I've noticed that the S&B ammo looks like it has no crimp . The edges are square and sharp.
I am afraid that a few of these are gonna be bad ammo, because, the case is biting in hard at the crimp. and I loaded them with 3.2 of BullsEye ~~ sounds like possible danger to me. Luckily my first batch is 20 bullets and only 3 had the "too tight" crimp feel and "look". The rest of them have a nice bevel to the edges and look as though they will slide over the feed ramp easier than any factory ammo i have tried. If this is not good then PLEASE, someone speak up. You guys are the best and I truly DO appreciate y'alls help and entertaining anecdotes. G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

G

the way I set up a crimp die is , take a factory loaded bullet put in the press and slowly turn die down till it stops then lock the locking ring down, then adjust the bullet setting screw
if using lee dies I'd buy a different set of lock rings

if you think the crimp is to tit pull the bullet and resize it

haven't used BullsEye powder for 20 years for safety reasons, it doesn't fill the case's up
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

Thats a good easy solution to my seating problem. I have been rolling a little lead at the top of my brass on one side or the other, but not on all bullets. I'll try your method tonight. Thanks Don
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

Don

Cases may need to be trim again ,after so many firings you need to check case length
I check mine about every 3rd or 4th the firings on pistol brass, after every firing on rifle brass

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

Norm, I just loaded 50 fo the best looking group I've done so far. If they all go bang, and eject, I'll have something. I used your idea of starting with a factory bullet, Saands' plan for not double loading, abwehr's powder, and someone else told me to champer the brass. This forum has really helped my reloading. Also, I must thank whoever it was that told me about trimming luger brass with a lee trimmer. I'm almost to the point where I can tell the difference in the sound of 9mm case and 40 caliber case hitting the floor at the range. Later Don
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

Thanks ! i hadn't considered setting it up with the factory cartridge first, that should work fine ! i know some will cringe at this ... i broke a hoppe's aluminum .22 cal. cleaning rod and i salvaged the t-handle section that has threads and screw it into the hollow point and it pulls them out ok until i can get a Real puller . Also i tried resizing a 9mm luger and a 380 brass in the 9Mak die ,and it felt just as easy as resizing the 9mm mak brass. should they have maybe had more resistance? all of the 9 mak, 9 luger and 380 acp brass that i have measures out the same except for length. odd? Methinks, G
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by bzinggg »

dolang1,

8-) ;D 8-)

Ah! A new level of personal satisfaction!
Last edited by bzinggg on March 29th, 2007, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

G

Do not use 380 brass at all , 9 mm brass can be used but needs to trimmed down to specks
read (dolang1) post he uses trimmed 9 mm brass DON can give all info on trimming 9 mm brass
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

Thanks again NORM ! no i won't use the 380 brass i was just doing some bullet collection measuring and made note of the case dimensions . but very much THANKS for saying so !!! it is great to have folks like you all that will speak up when you see a possible danger ! when you set the 3 cases side by side there is 1mm difference in each case length as you probably well know. unfortunately= i admit that i DID "wonder" about the possibility of trying the 380 case with a too small load of powder ! but , that idea was quashed when i thought about the danger of it. i won't be wildcatting for a few years as this is my first try at reloading and i want the experience to stay fun and healthy ! heehee. G
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

I just shot my first reloads !!! i am still alive hahahahah i think . I am sure that the preparations and reading helped immensely !! EVERY cartridge worked great ! i got small groups in heavy Heavy winds. i must have done them right ! unfortunately- the wind made shooting conditions highly uncomfortable. i sat a discarded kitchen cabinet door up against a hill, and stuck on a few orange peel-n-stick circle targets, stepped of 15 paces, and started with the light loads :6 =Speer HP with 3.1gr Bullseye,and WSP primers= all nice shooting ! Then 6 = w/ 3.2gr = All shot well. Then 6 = 3.1gr with CCI SRP = all shot well with noticeable accuracy improvement ! Then 6 = 3.4gr with WSP=all shot well except i see noticeable flattening of the primers and odd marks on the base of the cartridges. iread where that means excessive pressures so i will go ahead a reload only the 3.2gr WSP and the 3.1gr CCI SRPrimers for the next batch. Also noted: i shot off the rest of a box of S&B ammo and noticed smokey cases and each one had a scrub mark that looked pretty deep in the same place on each case about a 1/3rd the way down from the neck. i will try scrubbing out the chamber and get busy reloading and let y'all know how they work. G
doctor12004

Light Makarov load

Post by doctor12004 »

My P-64 likes 3.0 gr Bullseye or 3.5 gr of W231 with 93 gr lead bullets. Recoil is light (to me)!
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

Thanks Doctor ! i will try those then also . so far you are the only other reader here whom has used Bullseye powder . so i would like to read some more about your reloading experiments on the 9x18. Did you try very many different loads before you found that combo? Also what brand are the 93gr. bullets? are they FMJ or HP? another said he prefers not to use BE because of such a small amount of powder in the case. making it easier to double dose a case. G
bzinggg
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by bzinggg »

My P-64 likes 3.0 gr Bullseye or 3.5 gr of W231 with 93 gr lead bullets. Recoil is light (to me)!
Welcome aboard, doc.
redfestiva

Light Makarov load

Post by redfestiva »

I do not reload rounds and I don't know much about it. I bought a couple boxes of reloaded 38 special wad cutters yesterday and here is a photo of one of the rounds. Is this common to use a casing in this condition? Would it be safe to fire. It seems to me that you would not use this but I'm just wandering what you reloaders thought about it.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

red

There is no pressure on the rim

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage