Light Makarov load

Info, pictures, advice...
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

I loaded 25 95g bullets with 2.1 grains of Clay powder. They all cycled and it was like shooting a 32. I bought Clay powder because that was what they had and I needed to load bullets that day. I used 2.1 grains of powder because that was how much would fit in a 3cc dipper. I loaded 50 95 grain bullets with 3.4 grains of Clay powder. Now that was spicy. I've got 500 93 g bullets ordered and I plan to find happiness somewhere between 2.1g and 3.4g. My question is: as long as the bullets cycle, I'm not doing any harm by shooting these wimpy loads? I certainly enjoy target practice with light loads. Later Don
nbender
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by nbender »

I've got to get started reloading. Since I have a .45 Colt on order, and I'm not J. Rockefeller, I am forcing myself to start the sport. Hopefully this summer.

There was a lot written some time ago about loading really light loads for the Makarov. I don't have the formulas, but some guys got them to the point where they would just cycle the slide and they loved it. Of course, the cases last like an Energizer Bunny. As I remember, there was increased blowby and your shooting hand gets dirty but that was the only reported downside.
Last edited by nbender on February 7th, 2007, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

That explains the filthy brass I was picking up. I could see my brass from about 10' because it was so smokey. Thanks for the info.
nicksterdemus

Light Makarov load

Post by nicksterdemus »

Does that Mak lite come w/freedom fries, taste great or is less filling?
saands

Light Makarov load

Post by saands »

Sounds like you are just getting started in the reloading. Pay close attention to the seating depth of your bullets as well ... with these small cases, changing that depth will change the resulting loads DRAMATICALLY :o I can't emphasize this enough! If you haven't read a reloading manual, get one and read it cover to cover ... reloading doesn't have to be dangerous, but it can be and these short cases are actually trickier than the long ones because small changes in seating or charge make large percentage changes in case volume or charge, respectively, and that leads to LARGE changes in pressures.

I think that your light loads are probably OK ... but one caution would be: "Can you fit 4.2 grains in that case?" If so, then you run the risk of loading a double charge if you get distracted. I've been reloading for decades, now, and I make it a rule to avoid loads that fill less than half the case ... double charges can get ugly!

Ask questions if you have them .... people will help.

Saands
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

Saands, Thanks for the info and you are correct. I am brand new to reloading. I've been measuring the finished bullets with a caliper against the reloading manuals and purchased bullets. A friend told me that I was not anal enough to reload bullets because I measure things with a micrometer and cut them off with and axe. Your rule about avoiding loads that fill less than half the case would not be possible for me to do if I continue using Clay powder. 2.1 grains is less than half. Can you recommend a powder that has more volume so that I can continue to load these light target loads safely? thanks again for your input. Later Don
saands

Light Makarov load

Post by saands »

I like the VihtaVuori powders ... they meter really well out of Lee's "Perfect Powder Measure" (which is FAR from perfect). They cost a little more, but not THAT much. Trouble usually is finding them in the local shops. According to my QuickLoad internal ballistics software, VihtaVuori N350 at 4.3 grains should fill you past half way and yield quite mild results. Although I haven't tried the load myself, I have tried 4.0 and 5.0 grains under Hornady XTP-HP bullets seated to an OAL of 0.970" and both were mild. The 4.0gr load gave an actual average velocity of 662fps and the 5.0gr load bumped that up to 894fps. My hot loads for the P64 use more and go between 1125 and 1200 depending on the pistol. The 4.0 and 5.0 loads should be totally safe, so I don't mind posting them ... you should get some experience and the right tools (scale and chrony at LEAST) before venturing into the hotter loadings.

If you can't find the VV N350, Alliant Unique would do the trick between 3.5 and 3.8 grains.

Be safe,

Saands
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

saands

I also use the slower burning prowder's two resions no chance for dubble loading and case life . I'm useing W231 if i ever get though this 3lb.s W231 I might try some of the VihtaVuori N350
how is it with other cal. such as 9mm, 357, 45 auto, 45 long Colt

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
saands

Light Makarov load

Post by saands »

Well ... I like to optimize my loads in terms of performance at the lowest possible pressures. N350 ends up being great for the 9x19 and pretty good, but not as good as N340 for the 45acp. I don't think that it would be any good at all for the 45LC, but I don't have one of those, so I don't know for sure. VihtaVuori has a PDF reloading manual on their web site.

Saands
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

Saands

thanks for info
Found their web site thanks again http://www.lapua.com/ReloadingGuide2006.pdf
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
saands

Light Makarov load

Post by saands »

Happy to help ...

Saands
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by abwehr »

There is one powder on the market that is "high volumn"; it is Trail Boss from IMR. It was developed for the Cowboy Action Shooting folks. In Cowboy Shooting, they require velocities be kept under 1,000 fps and many folks shoot just enough powder to get the bullet 20 ft from the revolver. In a .45 Colt with a 250 gr. lead buller, I shoot 4.1 grs. of Trail Boss and it fill half the case. There is limited data for cartriges other than Cowboy type rounds.

Trail Boss comes in a container with 9 oz. of powder and the container is the same size as 1 lb. standard powder. For light loads in the 9mm Mak, some experimenting would need to be done. The Trail Boss would definetly fill the case. Very light loads with standard powder does leave a lot ofsmoke on the cases because the case does not expand enough to completely seal the chamber. therefore letting smoke bleed back. The other problem with light loads is possibly a pressure spike from the ignition of the powder and the case having to fully pressurize before the bullet exits the case.

Take a look at the IMR website adn check out the Trail Boss powder.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Light Makarov load

Post by dolang1 »

abwehr, I loaded 50 rounds wtih Trail Boss last night and shot them today. I was amazed at how much powder it takes to make 2 grains. I ended up using a 5cc dipper and the cases were over half full. No chance for double loading with this powder. All the bullets fired and ejected. I can't say that about some of my other light load creations. Thanks again, Later Don
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Light Makarov load

Post by garry »

To Crimp ? or, Not to crimp? that is my question. Please , can someone tell me the correct procedure on the 9x18 crimp? I have a Lee challenger and the factory crimp 3 die set for it ,but, i have tried and it seems like a bad idea. Do any of you all crimp the 9x18 with speer 90 gr HP's ?? it seems rather tight at times and perhaps dangerous? Thanks in advance guys , G
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light Makarov load

Post by normsutton »

G

I reload cast bullets so I have to crimp but it is so light you couldn't tell it, and I use standard dies on my 9 x 18 . I have a tapered crimp die for 45 auto

G

I reload cast bullets so I have to crimp but it is so light you couldn't tell it, and I use standard dies on my 9 x 18 . I have a tapered crimp die for 45 auto

you really don't want to put a hard crimp on a 9 x 18 , 9 mm, 45 auto, 380. and many others because most auto loaders head space on the case mouth
with auto loaders you don't want the bullet to be driven back in the case as the slide goes forward

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage