Range report

Info, pictures, advice...
superferrite

Range report

Post by superferrite »

Last time, I was A/Bing my P-64 with my commercial Makarov.
I did a spring swap (stiffer recoil and 18Lb trigger) after the first trial. Ugh.
The results seemed that the Mak (with Pearce grip) handled a bit better and was MUCH more pleasant to shoot.

This weekend, I took out the P-64 by itself. It shot to point-of-aim and was sweet to handle despite the sharp recoil. Strangely, it seemed on par with my pal's 7-shot S&W .357 mag!
The Polish grips are slim and it is a defense pistol, so it doesn't bother me much.

The reloads I am using are trimmed Win Luger brass, 4 gr Unique, and Midway 93 gr cast bullets. Stiff but not too bad, and function fine. I'd been using them in the Makarov, and they shoot great.

Thanks, guys.
Keep shooting!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Re: Range report

Post by papabear »

Thanks for your post on your load data for your P-64. My preference now that I'm starting to run low on 9x18 factory ammo has been saving my 9mm brass to trim back also for reloading 9x18. I have ordered from Missouri Bullet 500 93gr LRN and plan on going with 4-4.5 grains of Unique with Win SPM primers and S&B brass, time will tell how many grains of Unique I will land on after shooting different loads with Unique. BTW, I have read that lead cast bullets are NOT suggested for "polygonal" barrels such as in the CZ82 and such; how true this is I do not know.
stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 »

Lead in polygonal rifling can lead to unacceptable pressures behind the round as it's fired.

That's because the lead can be deposited into the grooves of the polygonal rifling, essentially creating a smoothbore barrel where gases can't slide by the bullet as it travels down the barrel. Or, the lead builds up enough to become an obstruction.

I've really only heard this occurring in Glocks, though because the CZ82 is also polygonal, it's carried over to that pistol as well in forums. I'm not sure the CZ82 necessarily has the same issue as Glocks.

Looking down the barrel of the CZ82, it looks almost smoothbore, and it's chrome plated. The "twist" is very subtle. I think for this reason, the "rifling" can't really get clogged too badly - there really isn't any rifling to speak of, the barrel itself spins the round. A Glock barrel has deeper grooves where lead could get deposited. This would make the barrel smoothbore, and bad things could happen.

With anything, it's better to be safe than sorry. But i haven't heard of a CZ82 having lead round issues. I have heard of Glocks having problems and bulging barrels.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Thanks for the info.....I had heard pretty much the same thing, I still have nearly 2,000 rds of 9x18 and saving it for the CZ82 and other than range shootings but I do what to start reloading sometime soon for the 9x18 to shoot in my P-64's and Makarov's.
Dwight

Post by Dwight »

I've fired literally thousands of bare lead rounds (Missouri Bullet Company 93 gr LRN) through my CZ-82 without any issue. I believe that there are 2 factors that lead to getting lead deposits:

1) Soft lead (MBC bullets are plenty hard, so not an issue)
2) Firing at too high a velocity (depends on your choice of powder and load amount)

I use Bullseye in my 9 Mak loads (and I go with the load data in my Lee "Modern Reloading" manual) without any troubles.

Dwight
lklawson

Post by lklawson »

Like Dwight says, it's soft lead, not Hard Cast.

Buffalo Bore has an article on it:
HARD CAST BULLETS IN POLYGONAL BARRELS

True hard cast bullets (as opposed to lead swaged bullets) that are properly lubed will not lead foul polygonal barrels any more than any other type of rifled barrel. Ever since Glock Corporation warned to not use lead bullets in their pistols with polygonal barrels, a myth that hard cast bullets will lead foul polygonal barrels has become wide spread in some parts of the firearms world. However, the myth is untrue. Hard cast bullets are not "lead" bullets. (See my article on "Dangerous Pure Lead Cowboy Bullets")

Pure lead or nearly pure lead bullets have a tendency to foul any barrel, not just polygonal barrels. Years ago, when several Glock pistols experienced cracked barrels because of fouling build up from shooting pure lead bullets, Glock issued a warning not to shoot lead bullets in their polygonal barrels. From that warning, the myth that you should not shoot hard cast bullets in polygonal barrels was born.

Provided you use real hard cast bullets with good lube, you can shoot them all you like in polygonal barrels without causing lead fouling deposits at the front of your chamber or anywhere else in the barrel. If you are concerned about lead fouling from hard cast bullets, all you have to do is to clean your barrel after firing hard cast bullets and before firing any jacketed bullets. However, in my experience, quality hard cast bullets won't foul a Glock polygonal barrel or any other type of barrel but lead bullets normally will.
Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance - "You shouldn't have to spend thousands of dollars on expensive gun cleaning an maintenance products. Find out how to save money with inexpensive alternatives that work just as well."
superferrite

Post by superferrite »

I've noticed this load leading my barrel a bit after a couple of mags. Or it could be fouling from that smoky Unique. Or lube? Don't know, but I sure have to scrub it out a bit.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I use my own cast lead and light load of win 231 I keep the load light for the 64 but use it in my 82 have not seen any leading at all in either, however I clean as if there is. The only time I use factory load in the 82 is once a year when I have to quailify for one of my carry permits. also I use factory stuff in the 64 when I carry.